Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jinxy on September 07, 2018, 01:31:35 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on September 07, 2018, 01:20:07 PM
Quote from: mup on September 07, 2018, 09:22:47 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on September 07, 2018, 08:58:53 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 05, 2018, 09:05:00 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on September 05, 2018, 08:48:48 PM
Where is all the money that is been pumped into Dublin Gaa going. They are attracting huge sponsors. The clubs have massive membership and should be self sufficient with not only money for facilities but volunteers for coaching. Its seemingly not been spent on the intercounty teams. So what return are the government or the gaa or who is providing these massive grants getting back for it.
'the clubs...'

They don't want to hear the truth, pipedown. They think all the money goes into the Senior football team . . . . . .

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-dublin-worked-slavishly-hard-for-their-allireland-successes-and-its-an-insult-to-attribute-it-to-money-37290634.html

Sure that's it sorted so lads and ladies.

Close the thread.  ;)

Seems so, lets close it down now.

If the money doesn't matter... can we have it back?
We?

Im teally coming tound to the notion of counties raising their own money at the gate, tv money and merch. No central funding to whinge about. You earn it, you spend it.

mup

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 07, 2018, 02:53:39 PM
Quote from: mup on September 07, 2018, 02:36:59 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on September 07, 2018, 01:55:24 PM
Where is all the money that is been pumped into Dublin Gaa going. They are attracting huge sponsors. The clubs have massive membership and should be self sufficient with not only money for facilities but volunteers for coaching. Its seemingly not been spent on the intercounty teams. So what return are the government or the gaa or who is providing these massive grants getting back for it.
'the clubs...'

They don't want to hear the truth, pipedown. They think all the money goes into the Senior football team . . . . . .

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-dublin-worked-slavishly-hard-for-their-allireland-successes-and-its-an-insult-to-attribute-it-to-money-37290634.html

Close the thread.  ;)

Don't understand what you mean, you need to ask the parents of the primary School kids and mini league kids where the money goes for it back.

From another forum, Joe Brolly states on Twitter that he has got all the information, stats and figures from the Dublin county board and will be doing an article on it over the next few weeks. be interesting to see.

Indeed it will be interesting.

Interesting to see if they include any payments to the management team/backroom staff in the information that Brolly receives.

And how it differs from other big counties set ups I presume too. E,G Physios etc.

Id say some of you are sweating that some hard truth facts are coming your way.

Oh yea really really sweating. A Joe Brolly article.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rossfan

I presume Dublin will be playing with a nice clean amateur sponsor free jersey from now on.
Maybe AIG could sponsor the other 31 Counties as we seem to be the only ones who think money is required.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2018, 02:58:55 PM
'the clubs...'

Close the thread.  ;)

We?

Im teally coming tound to the notion of counties raising their own money at the gate, tv money and merch. No central funding to whinge about. You earn it, you spend it.

Great Dublin may split the gate though at they play the vast majority of games at home too. Something approaching 80%.
#newbridgeornowhere

TheGreatest

Jaysus lads the bitterness.... people are laughing at you now.

Dublin played 7 different counties to win the All Ireland, why did the other teams get knocked out of the championship, was it because of money, resources or population, like Galway v Leitrim etc.

Do Galway have an unfair advantage in Connaught  over the likes of Leitrim or?

I wonder why the don't win it every year so.

iorras

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 07, 2018, 03:35:23 PM
Jaysus lads the bitterness.... people are laughing at you now.

Dublin played 7 different counties to win the All Ireland, why did the other teams get knocked out of the championship, was it because of money, resources or population, like Galway v Leitrim etc.

Do Galway have an unfair advantage in Connaught  over the likes of Leitrim or?

I wonder why the don't win it every year so.
um, they have for the last 4 years. And are odds on for the 5 in a row.  t

Halfquarter

'the clubs...'

Close the thread.  ;)

Basically saying that the Dubs work harder than everyone else, really ,is it that simple ?

TheGreatest

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 07, 2018, 03:53:43 PM
'the clubs...'

Close the thread.  ;)

Basically saying that the Dubs work harder than everyone else, really ,is it that simple ?

Combined with natural talent, skill and brilliant coaching, game plans and tactics.   :) ;)

Maroon Manc

I was never in favour of splitting Dublin in two and always thought there was never a chance of it happening but it will happen when HQ realise the financial benefits of doing so, while their at it they may as well split them in 4 in preparation for the population growth.

tonto1888

Some of you guys on both sides are letting yourselves down. Dublin do have advantages. Is that why they've won four in a row? Not at all. No amount of money would give those Dublin boys the desire to win. The desire like that shown by Mannion on Sunday past. Some people just do not want to give this Dublin team any credit whatsoever.
To the dubs burying your head in the sand regarding money. There is an unfair advantage. You guys gets a very unequal share of the money. Accept it and keep supporting your bloody brilliant team

sid waddell

Quote from: Hound on September 07, 2018, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: Mano on September 04, 2018, 10:17:49 PM

Thats not what i witnessed when i lived in Dublin and was involved with a club at nursery level in up and coming West Dublin club. The GPO would be in the schools every week and would take a session with nursery once a month and give instructions to the mentors and other volunteers. The club encouraged its members to attend GAA courses. In 2 years i attended 3 courses. It was given by 3 different GPO's, one was a current Leitrim footballer, another by Johnny Coopers brother and the GPO of the club. To say GPO dont get involved with training of young players is false. They mentor all the club volunteers in drills and preparation and get involved in training themselves. Difference in Sligo is night and day. Only 2 GPO between all Sligo clubs.

Well said. This is actually very close to my experience and more non-Dubs living in Dublin should tell us their experience, because many don't seem to believe me.

They go to local primary schools to take PE classes. As the majority will not be GAA members, this focuses on basic skills. This takes about 50% of their working week, hence 50% is paid by the GAA. The other 50% is paid by the club.
They take nursery classes at the club to teach basic skills to very young children that are too young to be on a team.
They give courses to parents who have no experience and who want to learn basic drills etc, so they can look after teams their young lads are on. Even parents with senior playing experience can join these, but rarely do in my experience.
Some GPOs are good, some are useless. It's good that in your experience they kept an eye on some of the parents they'd given courses to. That wasn't my experience.
But they don't take teams (unless on a very short term basis when a team's manager has left), and they don't go near elite players.

Agree 100% that there should be more of them in other counties. 89 in all the rest of Leinster I believe.
I wonder how many clubs choose to pay an outside manager and choose not to use those funds to pay for 50% of a GPO's salary?
Dublin has a population of 1.34 million and 90 GPOs. The rest of Leinster has a population of 1.16 million and 89 GPOs.

That doesn't seem particularly out of kilter to me.

sid waddell

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 07, 2018, 05:38:16 PM
Some of you guys on both sides are letting yourselves down. Dublin do have advantages. Is that why they've won four in a row? Not at all. No amount of money would give those Dublin boys the desire to win. The desire like that shown by Mannion on Sunday past. Some people just do not want to give this Dublin team any credit whatsoever.
To the dubs burying your head in the sand regarding money. There is an unfair advantage. You guys gets a very unequal share of the money. Accept it and keep supporting your bloody brilliant team
But hasn't the inter-county system always been inherently unfair? That's the way it is, rightly or wrongly. All representative sport is unfair. Germany has 20 times the population of Ireland. That's "unfair" but its the basis of international football. It's no different to the GAA. But less than two months ago a country with 4 million people reached the World Cup final.

The GAA is based on place. People are fiercely loyal to their counties. Yet because Dublin win a six All-Irelands in eight years, some people suddenly think that Dublin people should expect to take the proposed splitting up of their county team lying down. You'd swear one team dominating in such a manner had never happened before.

Why shouldn't Dublin be allowed to generate more sponsorship and commercial revenue than other counties?

omaghjoe

I think the money should be put inot Dublin I mean based on the population it is only fair.

However if you then equate that to the county scene then its also not fair. Spliting Dublin in two is also not the solution as sure they will still be the at least X2 the size of the nearest county.

Provincial status is the only way. An experiment with Dublin entered into a revived Railway Cup as a stand alone team would be interesting experiment and I am sure would at least draw a bigger crowd that the last installment of the provincial competition did

sid waddell

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 07, 2018, 06:23:15 PM
I think the money should be put inot Dublin I mean based on the population it is only fair.

However if you then equate that to the county scene then its also not fair. Spliting Dublin in two is also not the solution as sure they will still be the at least X2 the size of the nearest county.

Provincial status is the only way. An experiment with Dublin entered into a revived Railway Cup as a stand alone team would be interesting experiment and I am sure would at least draw a bigger crowd that the last installment of the provincial competition did
To sort of answer my own question in my previous post and to provide a counter argument to what I said about sponsorship.

You could look at funding of counties in two different ways - grass roots and inter-county - almost like the way US politics is organised along two distinct pathways to recognise both the separate nature of each state and the massive population differences -  the senate has two representatives from each state and then the House has representatives based on population, with say, California having far more House members than Wyoming.

In this scenario, funding for games development is based on population.  Games development is by definition non-inter-county, non-elite. It's about maximising participation and ensuring proper structures are put in place appropriate to local communities. Dublin has 1.34 million people, Longford has 40k. But Dublin has a lower participation rate than anywhee else. Participation rates in Dublin are no less important than anywhere else. Therefore obviously Dublin will get a much larger share of this than Longford because it has a much bigger population. That's as it should be.

At inter-county level, each county aims to have a similar-ish size panel, we'll say 30 to 35. The main reason Dublin can put such a top level set up in place at inter-county level is commercial revenue. Dublin can attract many multiples of what most other counties can in this regard because of its natural economic advantages. Because other counties don't have the commercial revenue potential Dublin do, it's far harder to put top level set ups in place for those 30 to 35 players. This is really where the big difference is being made at inter-county level. In many cases it's professionals v pub team stuff. So if you want to try and even the playing field, you have to find some way of pooling commerical revenue.

How to do that, or to what extent there should be redistribution, is the big question, and one that I feel would be fraught with difficulty in addressing and getting agreement on. But you could, for argument's sake, say that each county gets to keep 70%, hell, let's say 50%, of their commercial and sponsorship revenue and the rest would be pooled centrally to be divided equally between each county.

Therefore you have a much more even playing field in terms of top level set ups in place for county teams, while allocating grass roots games development funds evenly throughout the country based on population.

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on September 07, 2018, 06:55:47 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 07, 2018, 06:23:15 PM

To sort of answer my own question in my previous post and to provide a counter argument to what I said about sponsorship.

You could look at funding of counties in two different ways - grass roots and inter-county - almost like the way US politics is organised along two distinct pathways to recognise both the separate nature of each state and the massive population differences -  the senate has two representatives from each state and then the House has representatives based on population, with say, California having far more House members than Wyoming.

In this scenario, funding for games development is based on population.  Games development is by definition non-inter-county, non-elite. It's about maximising participation and ensuring proper structures are put in place appropriate to local communities. Dublin has 1.34 million people, Longford has 40k. But Dublin has a lower participation rate than anywhee else. Participation rates in Dublin are no less important than anywhere else. Therefore obviously Dublin will get a much larger share of this than Longford because it has a much bigger population. That's as it should be.

At inter-county level, each county aims to have a similar-ish size panel, we'll say 30 to 35. The main reason Dublin can put such a top level set up in place at inter-county level is commercial revenue. Dublin can attract many multiples of what most other counties can in this regard because of its natural economic advantages. Because other counties don't have the commercial revenue potential Dublin do, it's far harder to put top level set ups in place for those 30 to 35 players. This is really where the big difference is being made at inter-county level. In many cases it's professionals v pub team stuff. So if you want to try and even the playing field, you have to find some way of pooling commerical revenue.

How to do that, or to what extent there should be redistribution, is the big question, and one that I feel would be fraught with difficulty in addressing and getting agreement on. But you could, for argument's sake, say that each county gets to keep 70%, hell, let's say 50%, of their commercial and sponsorship revenue and the rest would be pooled centrally to be divided equally between each county.

Therefore you have a much more even playing field in terms of top level set ups in place for county teams, while allocating grass roots games development funds evenly throughout the country.

I agree to an extent but the money and infrastructure of clubs will filter thru and benefit the county setup also. Not to mention the already massive and already expanding pool of players.
Interpros for a full size Dublin is the only way. Dublin Divisional sides (i'd recommend about 4 at the min) could enter the inter county competition.

To continue the intercounty competition in the same way while massive population shifts are taking place is barmy