Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Can only agree. Yes I'm concerned at the lack of goals, but when you counter that with the amount of points we have taken last 3 games, and the chances we are creating, then for me it's not a big issue. We took many many points when goals were on v Longford, and that was a little disappointing but ok considering that game was over early and the subs were running the scoreboard. In Tullamore (agreed, great venue and some setup there) we did go for goals, and missed at least 4 chances due to a variety of reasons, but still scored 21 points. We're creating the chances, and when Lynch is fit, and Oisin Brady comes back in, along with Smith, McKiernan and many others, the chances will continue to come and the players will be there to finish them. I'd rather this than peaking too early. The fact we are cruising so well and not scoring many goals but making chances with lads to come back is actually exciting for me. What can we do when we fully click in a game?

It is also disappointing that we're where we are. Those lost years of relegation in 21 and then the Div 4 campaign the year after are a loss to not exposing us to better teams. I've always felt we were a Div 2 level team with the ability to jump up to Div 1 here and there for an odd run. it's where we need to get back to. We can see when things are being done right that we are a good team. Burke seems to have had a difference in fitness and attack shape that we were missing before, and we've stepped a level above where we are. I have honestly no fear of Armagh in April - we've every reason to be ready for them, and the players to do it too like any day in Ulster. It's where we need to get to. Get the players back, finish off this League to get promoted and get a good run at Ulster. feels good to see the lads going well like this, even allowing for all things

Dreadnought

How we feeling for Sunday folks?

Win and I think we're 99.9% assured promotion on head to head, score difference and such. Expect our hardest test yet. Down hard to figure where exactly they're at, but very different from last summer, and they seem to be hanging in. Winning games from behind and taking the win when it looked beyond them. They score fairly well, but concede too. Unless they tighten up and have a plan for us, that might be a recipe for us to get past them. And I think we will. Should be tight for a while, but if we don't concede more than 1 goal, and maybe get one ourselves, we might see this off on the home stretch by 3 to 4. Need to always watch though as they have some confidence that they can catch a team from behind right up to the end.

Look-Up!

I am confident for Sunday. I think we're playing the better football, have probably the stronger panel, have massive scope for improvement and are at home with what should be an enthusiastic crowd. Plus we seem to have a hex on Down this past while. But that can all change of course.

Agreed, keeping clean sheet is vital or at least keeping goal count to minimum. That will be a huge step towards victory. They do probably carry the biggest goal threat in this division and have a number of their Kilcoo contingent back so we need to be wary and expect a big improvement from them. We have things to iron out ourselves. If our performance levels don't drop coupled with being a bit more clinical upfront, we should have enough.

But we do need to start transferring our dominance to scoreboard better. We were all over Offaly like a rash and had enough chances to win two games but they were within a sniff, 5 points I think, inside last quarter. I think with a more experienced opponent, and a bit more potency, they could have sniffed blood and really made us sweat. No matter how good you are, you are not going to dominate for 70 minutes. How often have we seen a half hours good worked wiped out in less than a minute due to a procession of bad wides followed by the concession of sloppy goals. 

Itchy

Feeling confident, Down have won a few games but hardly in a comfortable manner. If Cavan play well they will win it I think by 3 or 4 points. Be nice to see us rattle the net a few times too.

Dreadnought

Team named. Same as v Offaly, with Lynch officially having the 13 jersey. Should be able to have a rattle here

Itchy

No subs named. I'd put money on Gearoid making an appearance tomorrow.

Itchy

Quote from: Itchy on March 04, 2023, 10:06:03 PM
No subs named. I'd put money on Gearoid making an appearance tomorrow.

I should've put money on it

Dreadnought

Well that was nice yesterday. Still basking in it a little bit. This was the type of game we needed, and we passed the test very well. The early goal conceded, breaking down a black death defence - we kept at it and more than got over the line. That feels a lot better than the easy wins of the last 3 games, and got a glimpse of where we are really at.

Very tight and cagey first half. The goal was a blow, but we didn't panic. We saw how they set up, and we took our time to get through it and start to break it down. Could have conceded more goals actually now I'm thinking, but were still able to weather their storm, and get in level. they were never going to be able to keep up that level. Unreal to be able to bring those changes we did. Smith and McKiernan brilliant to bring on. Smith is so strong it's outrageous, and straight from 2nd half throw in we looked to up it. Managed it very well from there, and always then able to stay ahead. The goals made it look better I suppose. Poor call from the ref on the mark for 1st goal, but ref was odd for both teams all day with certain pickiness.

But we had it over them by then. They were dead on their feet, and we had strong players coming on who have been in there, compared to Down who had lads on the panel a week. We were far fitter and more conditioned than them. But just even that, it was great to see our game management, and tweaks made by the bench to get around them and nullify their setup. That final minutes felt great when we were walking through them. Just a word too on McKiernan, such a reception he got coming on. But oh my, that catch he made for the mark where he seemed to hang in the air for ages. Unreal. And we might see great things from him in the forwards if we've the players doing it out the field to feed him and Lynch and have a real dual threat in there. Even more so if Oisin Brady comes back and keeps going like he can. Things feeling really good tbh.

Westside

That first half was a very difficult watch, mainly due to the tactics employed by Down. Cavan wanted to leave players up front but had to eventually match Down's packed defence.

We are beginning to see the levels in the squad and the difference between a league player and a championship player. Some of the new guys are being swallowed up by the pace of the game. Boylan looks like he is surviving and seems the most likely to keep a place. O'Neill isn't doing much wrong but failing to impact the game, that may be due to the style Down played. His main attribute is winning the ball out in front but that wasn't a feature of the game yesterday. At the very least he'll be a very solid option off the bench.

The highlight of the game yesterday was Faulkner's high ball into Gearoid. The wave of excitement that swept through the crowd as soon as the ball left his boot was wonderful. I expect it spoke to a lot of the "let it in" crowd. Gearoid didn't let us down and won it. It is still a tactic that needs to be refined and used well.

Overall a good day out. As close to championship pace as we have seen so far. Down still have a long way to go though and aren't the benchmark we would like to be judging ourselves from. They caused us plenty of problems yesterday with their intricate handpassing.

Mickey can get the squad more games now, rest up any injuries, try a few things out over the next 3 games and prepare for Armagh. A day out in Croker will be nice too!

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on March 06, 2023, 12:52:55 PM
That first half was a very difficult watch, mainly due to the tactics employed by Down. Cavan wanted to leave players up front but had to eventually match Down's packed defence.

We are beginning to see the levels in the squad and the difference between a league player and a championship player. Some of the new guys are being swallowed up by the pace of the game. Boylan looks like he is surviving and seems the most likely to keep a place. O'Neill isn't doing much wrong but failing to impact the game, that may be due to the style Down played. His main attribute is winning the ball out in front but that wasn't a feature of the game yesterday. At the very least he'll be a very solid option off the bench.

The highlight of the game yesterday was Faulkner's high ball into Gearoid. The wave of excitement that swept through the crowd as soon as the ball left his boot was wonderful. I expect it spoke to a lot of the "let it in" crowd. Gearoid didn't let us down and won it. It is still a tactic that needs to be refined and used well.

Overall a good day out. As close to championship pace as we have seen so far. Down still have a long way to go though and aren't the benchmark we would like to be judging ourselves from. They caused us plenty of problems yesterday with their intricate handpassing.

Mickey can get the squad more games now, rest up any injuries, try a few things out over the next 3 games and prepare for Armagh. A day out in Croker will be nice too!

That's it alright. Yesterday felt Championship. And when the rain went and the sun came out, with the good crowd, and vocal travelling Down support, it felt Championship. there was even a fella outside on the Dublin road selling headbands. They said on the pod last week that it's the reason we've put all our home games on Sundays at 2pm. This will be the time we play Antrim/Armagh at. So they're getting the lads used to it, and Fermanagh in 3 weeks will be similar. i like the late Saturday evening games, but see the logic here to have the lads at the pace for that time of day.

Look-Up!

Good result, looks like job done. I can't see any scenario where we don't get promoted. Would probably need to ship two thrashings which I cannot see happening.

Most difficult game so far. First half very tough due to the quick Down start and their defensive setup. Rode our luck too a bit in that we didn't concede more goals. That would have left an uphill task for 2nd half. But once we got our noses in front we always seemed to be able to keep them at arms length, just. They did play well at times and thought they moved the ball very well through their hands. But once the game opened up you could see why they choose to keep 15 men behind their 45.

Great game in a way that it was a bit of a wake up call to IC football for the new lads. It's not all easy and walking through teams and once we get to a higher division and indeed onto championship the challenges will be even greater. So a steep learning curve ahead but very happy overall with what we've seen so far.   

rodney trotter

Down played like how Kilcoo play. Flood numbers back and break at pace with quick hands. They had some good moves with the slick hand passing but rarely kicked the ball. Corofin were the most enjoyable club team to watch with kick passing.

Look-Up!

Great to get promotion.

Didn't make it to Belfast, made do with the wireless. Sounded laboured and they cut through us with ease. Looks like McVeety will need to stay at no. 6 come championship but no harm trying different things before then. No harm seeing our limitations now and not going into Ulster with a false sense of security. I'd have no problems doing similar against Fermanagh next round. While no doubt there's lots of new talent there, it'll take time to get fully up to speed of the IC game. These games are ideal for that and a great learning curve especially against a Fermanagh who absolutely have to win.

Good comeback though when we finally did wake up. Sounded like the referee screwed us when we had them on the ropes. I'm sure that was the case and no bias at all from the very impartial commentary crew! Anyone make it?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Look-Up! on March 19, 2023, 12:49:56 PM
Great to get promotion.

Didn't make it to Belfast, made do with the wireless. Sounded laboured and they cut through us with ease. Looks like McVeety will need to stay at no. 6 come championship but no harm trying different things before then. No harm seeing our limitations now and not going into Ulster with a false sense of security. I'd have no problems doing similar against Fermanagh next round. While no doubt there's lots of new talent there, it'll take time to get fully up to speed of the IC game. These games are ideal for that and a great learning curve especially against a Fermanagh who absolutely have to win.

Good comeback though when we finally did wake up. Sounded like the referee screwed us when we had them on the ropes. I'm sure that was the case and no bias at all from the very impartial commentary crew! Anyone make it?

Yeah I made it up despite having a head on me post Paddys day. Didn't hear the commentary, but the ref was a joke at times alright. Hate talking about refs after a game, but there was no reason to most of his calls. You can usually tell pretty quickly early on in a match what a ref will be picky on, or how they judge the tackle. Not this guy. One would be a free in, and then a moment later the exact same thing would be a free out for the other team. I don't mind picky refs, once you determine what they want from the tackle and such, but this lad made it up differently every single time. There was a lot of home town calls I felt.

I think we got no free inside the 45 in the first half, and very few in the 2nd. I'm not excusing our very poor performance (we were badly set up, seemingly unfit players, missing players going well, and just didn't seem up for it bar the final 15 minutes) but telling we nearly got back into it despite this. He gave them a free in to stretch it to 2 points last minute when it was a free out all day long. He gave for overcarrying despite being dragged to the ground, like the easiest free out you'd give to a defender turning over a ball. Anyway, no odds overall, we're promoted now and we've quite a lot to work on this week.

Dreadnought

Looks like Rian O'Neill will be missing for Armagh if they get through to the quarter versus us. Big loss for them