Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

I'm relatively confident we can win by 3 or 4 points but we will have to be up for it and not getting complacent which was our Achilles heel last year.

Look-Up!

I'd tend to agree with those posts. I'd be reasonably confident. Offaly you'd feel are a coming team but with their loss of experience from last year, 2023 might be a year or two too early for them to really kick on. I still think they'll give us a battle and be very dangerous but you'd hope our experience, conditioning and physicality should tell last quarter. As long as we don't do something stupid like conceding a bagful of goals and leave an uphill battle. That nagging worry is still there.
Still though, for some reason looking forward to this league game more than most for a long time. Expect to see good football played and serious questions to be asked of us. And of course hope we have all the answers.

Westside

Offaly need to win this game or Div 2 is almost certainly out of reach. So I would expect a very tough game down there. Remember the qualifiers a few years back, they made things very difficult and it took a Mackey masterclass to drag us over the line.

Lynch will surely start which is great, just a pity it was at the expense of Oisin Brady. If Ryan O'Neill keeps his place, we could really do with him getting a few scores on the board. Hopefully Ray can get his eye in with the frees, it's always great for keeping teams at arm's length.

I'd agree with the others on here, a tough test ahead that we should win if we have our house in order. Hopefully it's a good game, atmosphere was, understandably, very flat in Breffni for the last two games.

Dreadnought

Fermanagh beat Antrim with 1-2 in injury time to move to 6 points. They're a handy team and battle to the end. We got them last day, so hope we've things wrapped up by then

Dreadnought

Team released there on twitter. Just a starting 15, no subs bench as before. Marty Reilly in for Oisin Brady, as expected he's out. Might be a few changes to that named in the program tomorrow

Dreadnought

Westmeath lost to Down too. That's their goose cooked you'd think. Another year in Div 3 and in Sam as Tailteann champions. You could only be annoyed at us

Westside

Down and Fermanagh both have their tails up in a big way. Pulling games out of the fire. They'll both be buzzing. Antrim are also causing everyone problems. This promotion hunt might not be as straightforward as we thought it might be.

Dreadnought

Lynch starting instead of Marty Reilly

Westside

A good day's work yesterday. We played some great football and really made use of our superior pace and power. Great to see Lynch back and getting into form, the passing into the full forward line was excellent. O'Neill was excellent again.

There's still a lot to work on. I thought we struggled again on kickouts. Our tackling was pretty awful and that just gave oxygen to Offaly. More honesty needed. I thought Finnegan struggled. David Brady was a bit wasteful but I was happy to see him take on his shot after kicking a few wides. We fluffed several goal chances that top teams simply don't do.

The squad is shaping up nicely too, James Smith very rusty but great that he's fit. Oisin Brady back in a week or 2 according to Graham. Oisin Kiernan, Conor Brady, Conor Smith and Gearoid all still to come back.

Can't wait for the Down game now. It would be very un-Cavanlike for us to win and wrap up promotion early but we are playing well and will go in as warm favourites. Biggest game in Breffni in a few years, hopefully a huge crowd will get out and create an atmosphere.

Dreadnought

Yeah was a good day yesterday. We looked far and away the stronger and fitter team and were always looking good to see them off here. They had to work extremely hard to get back level at 6 each, and we were able to click up another gear when needed to open a gap. Disappointing not to get a goal with at least 4 good chances. But that'll come, we tried to force it a few times, and again took points when otehr chances were on. 

Faulkner was just class. Popping up everywhere, and reading well and cutting out passes to their inside line. Clarke was an absolute menace to them. He was winding them up and was tackling and hitting hard all game. McVeety was well wrapped up be being double marked, but nice to see others stepped up too. Gerry Smith helped a lot with this work too and huge part of the team this way. Finnegan didn't have his best day, but that'll happen. Brady looks big and has a bit of fitness to come into yet you'd expect.

What can you say about Lynch? Half fit too, but the power he has in the ball. Stroking over 45m free out of the hand and still rising when going between the posts. Didn't miss a free either off either side. Overall lots of positives, with still things to work on. GMac still to come back, while getting some time into McLoughlin and James Smith.

Think a win next week practically guarantees promotion, as can't be caught on either head to head or points difference by then (barring a few huge defeats). Just need to keep at it now, integrate lads in, and be ready for rest of the year. 3 easy enough wins on the trot, and not sure how well it actually prepares us, but can only beat who you're in front of. Next 3 games a mini Ulster Championship, so can use this well too to step up as they will be gunning for us.

Look-Up!

4 from 4, great stuff. Offaly nice footballing team but couldn't stay with us after half hour mark. Again hard to gauge where we're at, won a little more easily than expected although never killing the game off when it should have been long over. Still though, we've done what we've had to do so far.
Down next week. Johnsons were back at the weekend and their half hour runs had a big impact on the result and will bring them on. So definitely expect a much stiffer test than anything we've had so far. It's clear D3 games are not ideal for working on your sharpness and you can get away with a lot of wastefulness. A higher grade should iron that out. But with 3 Ulster games coming up (and possible CK appearance), hopefully we seal D2 spot without any major dramas but also are made to sharpen up considerably for championship prep.
You'd also expect competition for places to be really hotting up now with lads getting back and blowing off some of the cobwebs and injuries clearing up. That should translate to more decisiveness and less sloppiness on the pitch with a lot of championship jerseys still up for grabs. Just on injuries, were any reported after game? Did McVeety go off on his own accord before sub?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 27, 2023, 12:53:59 PM
4 from 4, great stuff. Offaly nice footballing team but couldn't stay with us after half hour mark. Again hard to gauge where we're at, won a little more easily than expected although never killing the game off when it should have been long over. Still though, we've done what we've had to do so far.
Down next week. Johnsons were back at the weekend and their half hour runs had a big impact on the result and will bring them on. So definitely expect a much stiffer test than anything we've had so far. It's clear D3 games are not ideal for working on your sharpness and you can get away with a lot of wastefulness. A higher grade should iron that out. But with 3 Ulster games coming up (and possible CK appearance), hopefully we seal D2 spot without any major dramas but also are made to sharpen up considerably for championship prep.
You'd also expect competition for places to be really hotting up now with lads getting back and blowing off some of the cobwebs and injuries clearing up. That should translate to more decisiveness and less sloppiness on the pitch with a lot of championship jerseys still up for grabs. Just on injuries, were any reported after game? Did McVeety go off on his own accord before sub?

McVeety to me looked like a blood sub type thing they just subbed out completely. he got caught on the head I though, so you'd imagine he'd be fine for Down on Sunday. I was surprised they left him on so long tbh. After an injury scare last week, thought they'd take him off when the game looked done and not be flogging him. I think he'll be ok though

Look-Up!

Quote from: Dreadnought on February 27, 2023, 01:13:10 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 27, 2023, 12:53:59 PM

McVeety to me looked like a blood sub type thing they just subbed out completely. he got caught on the head I though, so you'd imagine he'd be fine for Down on Sunday. I was surprised they left him on so long tbh. After an injury scare last week, thought they'd take him off when the game looked done and not be flogging him. I think he'll be ok though
Good stuff. He hung around on the field for photos after so sounds about right.
I suppose an Offaly goal would have put the cat amongst the pigeons at any stage so maybe they didn't want to completely pull our shape. Some of those "fresh legs" were making a lot of creaking noises.
Tullamore some setup in general. Beautiful spot for a game.

Look-Up!

4 games in, what's peoples' opinions on what we've seen so far?

I'm pleasantly surprised myself. Ok, hard to know exactly what level of opposition we were playing without playing everyone, but we've been a lot more free scoring and open than expected and defence has held up ok. Squad looks to have plenty of potential, pace and physique and have coped well without some stars. McVeety and Holla have been huge additions in half back line though and I'm sure has aided the full back line greatly too in looking more assured and solid.
Midfield, Conor Brady has to come back and James Smith another option, plus with what we've seen already there, we have options not without potential. Forwards are going well and looks like we've unearthed a few who will really challenge starting 15, but at the very least give us some real game changing switches off the bench.
Big Gearoid to come back too and can be really put anywhere. I feel if he and Lynch could click together at full forward line, while maybe switching/roaming in and out to keep defences guessing, we could be seriously potent. When breaking I'd like to see more movement in there, especially someone running out to the spaces in front of their sweeper (when space there) and encouraging faster ball in. I though this is one area we were poor enough in last Sunday. In Lynch's defence he was only half fit but I think if someone like McKiernan was coming out both the defender and sweeper would have to go with him.
I've heard some laments about our poor goal conversion rates. I'm not particularly worried, I'm more concerned about clean sheets. If we can keep those we'll be promoted no worries. I think the goals will come eventually. Get everyone fit and I'm sure they will.

Down on Sunday. Really hope we keep pace and see it through. For all the positivity so far, a loss here, coupled with other results, would be a huge momentum swing in the table and big question mark over our promotion hopes. But like I said, keep a clean sheet and we'll be very hard stopped in this league.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on March 01, 2023, 02:07:16 PM
4 games in, what's peoples' opinions on what we've seen so far?

I'm pleasantly surprised myself. Ok, hard to know exactly what level of opposition we were playing without playing everyone, but we've been a lot more free scoring and open than expected and defence has held up ok. Squad looks to have plenty of potential, pace and physique and have coped well without some stars. McVeety and Holla have been huge additions in half back line though and I'm sure has aided the full back line greatly too in looking more assured and solid.
Midfield, Conor Brady has to come back and James Smith another option, plus with what we've seen already there, we have options not without potential. Forwards are going well and looks like we've unearthed a few who will really challenge starting 15, but at the very least give us some real game changing switches off the bench.
Big Gearoid to come back too and can be really put anywhere. I feel if he and Lynch could click together at full forward line, while maybe switching/roaming in and out to keep defences guessing, we could be seriously potent. When breaking I'd like to see more movement in there, especially someone running out to the spaces in front of their sweeper (when space there) and encouraging faster ball in. I though this is one area we were poor enough in last Sunday. In Lynch's defence he was only half fit but I think if someone like McKiernan was coming out both the defender and sweeper would have to go with him.
I've heard some laments about our poor goal conversion rates. I'm not particularly worried, I'm more concerned about clean sheets. If we can keep those we'll be promoted no worries. I think the goals will come eventually. Get everyone fit and I'm sure they will.

Down on Sunday. Really hope we keep pace and see it through. For all the positivity so far, a loss here, coupled with other results, would be a huge momentum swing in the table and big question mark over our promotion hopes. But like I said, keep a clean sheet and we'll be very hard stopped in this league.

Well you'd have to be happy where we sit and the thing is we can play even better I think. Are the teams in Div 3 poor this year, maybe - but I think that we are doing what good teams do to poor teams, run at them give them no respect and rip them up and do it early.
But what I like the best is that we havent really shown our hand yet, we've a number of players to come back and anyone from Armagh looking in (assuming they beat Antrim) will not learn a lot about us. On the other hand Armagh are as usual gung ho in Div 1 and everyone can see what they are at. I dont fear them at all. I think our midfield is an area where we need to work on and we could be more dominant on opposition kick outs but all in all if you told me the players we'd be missing and that wed win 4/4 at the start of the year I would have taken that any day.