Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpitin

Kerr the only one who would start in them 3 teams

Truth hurts

I think if Ryan McEvoy played at 5 or 7 he would be more suited to it, the physicality and athleticism of an intercounty full forward compared to a club player is light and day. Would Finn McElroy be any better in there?

Smurfy123

I think Murdock and maybe Kerr would start for Tyrone/Derry/Kerry/Mayo/Dublin
Not sure after that
We have all the best players at our disposal now
What is coming through?
We have brought back McParland Donnelly Millar Collins all lads who are close to 30?
They are as good as what we have so what more can be done?

Truth hurts

I think this will be the team v Longford

1.Kane
2.Fegan
3.McElroy
4.Laverty
5.Morgan
6.Wee doc
7. Rooney
8.Murdock
9.McAvoy
10. Shealan
11.Ryan J
12. Kerr
13.Jerome
14. Big Pat
15. Gilmore

meatsy86

Truth hurts

rosskarr

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 08, 2023, 12:19:05 PM
I think this will be the team v Longford

1.Kane
2.Fegan
3.McElroy
4.Laverty
5.Morgan
6.Wee doc
7. Rooney
8.Murdock
9.McAvoy
10. Shealan
11.Ryan J
12. Kerr
13.Jerome
14. Big Pat
15. Gilmore
I don't think so.

befair

It's good to have the Kilcoo players back, as they add strength to the panel, but really their only county standard player (assuming Dabs won't play), is McAvoy.

urbangael

People cried to get kilcoo players to commit to Down and when they do the same people moan because they are getting game time.  Kilcoo are the stand out team in Down and have been for 10 years+.  Logic and common sense would tell you they will have the most Co Players as they have the best team.  The problem is we have 1 or 2 stand out players in the county maybe fit for Div 2 or possible Div 1.... the rest in reality aren't good enough to play at a higher level.  Down supporters are deluded, we are the 8th best team in Ulster.  Fermanagh and Cavan have beaten us in recent weeks  Only Antrim are worse than us at present.  The Laverty project is very much a WIP.... give it time.  Beating Donegal in the Championship would be a massive achievement.  No chance of Ulster title as Derry, Armagh, Tyrone Monaghan etc are just ahead of us. Focus on players in the 19-25 age bracket.  Coach train and develop and try to make gradual progress. In 3 years they should peak and in theory we should have a good group of 22-28 year olds... always wriggle room here but carrying 10 players in their late 20's or early 30's like Mcparland, JJ, Donnelly, Kane, Collins etc isn't the pathway I think we should be taking.   

skat man

Quote from: befair on March 08, 2023, 01:18:36 PM
It's good to have the Kilcoo players back, as they add strength to the panel, but really their only county standard player (assuming Dabs won't play), is McAvoy.

agree with this but then the other players from other clubs are not really county standard either Murdoch might make it but he was anonymous in the biggest game to date against cavan  , i include kerr in that , 2/3 flashes a game doesnt make a county player. so if none in other clubs are county standard its fair to assume the best team in the county will be represented well.

urbangael
check the age of alot of the derry players or dublin players , you need a mix of youth and experience in any team for sucess

urbangael

Totally agree but my point is if you have a lad at 30 and a fella at 21 that are similar in ability better to go with the 21 yr old to get the experience and be a better long term option. 

ciaron08

Lavery is only in the door and people are writing him off already,
Im far from the biggest Kilcoo fan but if these lads are coming on the team improve it, all the better for Down Gaa. Anybody can make a mistake but when Kane made 2 in the 2 different games, lavery done the right thing and dropped him, so its not all kilcoo kilcoo kilcoo. Successful teams just dont turn up out of the blue, there is years of work going on in the background to get to that point, Hopefully Lavery will be given that time cause changing Managers every year or so isnt the answer.

Truth hurts

I am always open to a good debate on all things Down but the constant whingers will be drowned out as there is now a pathway developing and a pride coming into that famous Down jersey again.

Truth hurts

I see that a Mourne select are going to be playing the Down seniors on Saturday in Attical. This may pave the way for an amalgamation in Lower Mourne of Glasdrumman, Longstone and Ballymartin. I could be this happening within the next ten years.

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 09, 2023, 01:52:29 PM
I see that a Mourne select are going to be playing the Down seniors on Saturday in Attical. This may pave the way for an amalgamation in Lower Mourne of Glasdrumman, Longstone and Ballymartin. I could be this happening within the next ten years.

Hurling?