NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: moysider on March 28, 2019, 11:54:52 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on March 28, 2019, 12:30:24 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on March 27, 2019, 09:13:58 PM
When did Mayo last win the national league ? (If ever)
2001 Mayo's 11th league title!
Mayo won league titles  in 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938,  1939, 1941, 1949, 1954,  1970 & 2001!!

So it has been 18 yrs. since the last 'foot and mouth' crisis!?

Time flies.
I'm struggling with this one though. Have we lost so many AI finals that this league final is not going to be a big deal if we lose?
Obviously it won't mean damn all if we win. However in the normal scheme of things you don't want to lose this game?

Yet the way the season stacks up now, there is a big gap between the league and the first round of championship. For counties that make super8s its going to be almost 5 months.

Lets be fair its not All Ireland but the likes of Higgins,Moran,Barrett,Boyle finally winning a national senior title in Croke park will hardly mean damn all. Losing on the other hand could plant more seeds of doubt for the summer ahead. Either way i see this league final as more important to Mayo than Kerry.

moysider

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 29, 2019, 12:54:50 AM
Mayo won league titles  in 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938,  1939, 1941, 1949, 1954,  1970 & 2001!!

Time flies.
I'm struggling with this one though. Have we lost so many AI finals that this league final is not going to be a big deal if we lose?
Obviously it won't mean damn all if we win. However in the normal scheme of things you don't want to lose this game?

Yet the way the season stacks up now, there is a big gap between the league and the first round of championship. For counties that make super8s its going to be almost 5 months.

Lets be fair its not All Ireland but the likes of Higgins,Moran,Barrett,Boyle finally winning a national senior title in Croke park will hardly mean damn all. Losing on the other hand could plant more seeds of doubt for the summer ahead. Either way i see this league final as more important to Mayo than Kerry.

I would agree with that to an extent. I think Horan has a bit of a dilemma here. Does he fudge it and start another 'FBD' selection or go with the national guard? No doubt the lads that have come so close will want a cut at this but the league so far has been about experiment. I think we have to go for it myself and what happens, happens.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: TheGreatest on March 26, 2019, 08:12:18 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 25, 2019, 07:13:29 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on March 25, 2019, 04:41:37 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 25, 2019, 04:36:12 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 25, 2019, 03:44:24 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 25, 2019, 03:24:42 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 25, 2019, 02:39:35 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 25, 2019, 11:40:42 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 24, 2019, 04:25:01 PM
So it's a Mayo v Kerry final.
I presume the game will be in Croker and probably next Sunday. Am I correct?

Off to Croker ffs  >:(. What's on in the Gaelic Grounds?

There are no premium seats or Corporate boxes there. There's is a chance to charge the common follower €30 into Croker. The GAA don't care about the common fan. This is confirmed by the game being at 4pm on a Sunday.
If you lived in mid Mayo, say Castlebar, what time would you make it home traveling by road?

Prob 3 hours on the road.

Game over at about 6pm, back to the car at 6:30pm, hour for some grub on the way home. Looking at being at home some time after 10pm.

And if on in Limerick?

Probably 45 minutes less of travel, Less likely to have a pit-stop of an hour for food, Gaelic ground are on the good side of town for travelling to Mayo. I know you know little or nothing about having to attend a fixture 2 to 3 hours away from where you live on a Sunday evening. So you have no concept of what is involved.

Again, a genuine question it was, if your asking me should i feel sorry for you because of it, no chance. I have no time for Mayo or Mayo fans, especially on here.

I have travelled the length and breath of the country following both the footballers and hurlers and my club in plenty of Leinster and all irelands matches. Fair enough for the Dublin football its only the league but i have travelled for the games, not as much as i do now with the kids etc.

The league final should be played in the national stadium, if its too arduous or expensive for you, stay at home this time but dont complain about it, its a league final, a chance of silverware.

Don't worry. I'm not losing sleep over it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 29, 2019, 12:54:50 AM

Time flies.

Yeah I think that's how most Mayo fans would see it too. It would be a great boost (to the older lads especially) to beat a top team in a national final in Croke park after the mental blows taken from losing those big finals to Dublin and running out of gas last year!
If we are beaten easily enough like the bookies and pundits expect then it will be another final defeat these lads will have to carry into the championship and a confidence blow to the young lads brought in, all of which Mayo of all counties could do without!!

greatpoint

Quote from: Crete Boom on March 28, 2019, 11:03:14 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on March 27, 2019, 09:23:11 PM
Quote from: TabClear on March 27, 2019, 09:21:54 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 26, 2019, 10:52:57 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on March 26, 2019, 08:03:50 PM
You're easily amused then and obviously just a cheerleader.
Hope you've your poms poms ready for Sunday.

Hope Mayo have more up front....

Was it Mayo and this one that coined the phrase...All support and no Cups...

We have plenty of Nestor cups! ;)

What are they, training bras?

Crete Boom

Quote from: greatpoint on March 29, 2019, 03:31:24 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on March 28, 2019, 11:03:14 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on March 27, 2019, 09:23:11 PM
Quote from: TabClear on March 27, 2019, 09:21:54 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 26, 2019, 10:52:57 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on March 26, 2019, 08:03:50 PM
You're easily amused then and obviously just a cheerleader.
Hope you've your poms poms ready for Sunday.

Hope Mayo have more up front....

Was it Mayo and this one that coined the phrase...All support and no Cups...

We have plenty of Nestor cups! ;)

What are they, training bras?

No that's  division 4 cups!

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Mayo team named. A very experienced and strong defence picked. First Senior start for James Carr in the forward line.

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
2. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
6. Lee Keegan - Westport
7. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
8. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
9. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
10. Fergal Boland - Aghamore
11. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
12. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber(C)
13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
14. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
15. James Carr - Ardagh
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

I'd be surprised if that Mayo 15 starts and I'd be surprised if the Kerry 15 doesn't.

blanketattack

Seems a bit unfair on the youngsters that got Mayo to the final to be replaced by the old guard for the final. Can't be good for their morale.
You'd think the youngsters would gain more from a run out in Croke Park than those who have vast experience.
Horan is probably thinking this is the likes of Vaughan, Barrett, Higgins, Keegan, O'Shea and McLoughlin's only likely chance of a national title.

Outside of Dublin and Kerry, I believe Paul Kerrigan is the only current intercounty footballer to have a league medal. Walsh and Cadogan have ones but are hurlers only now.

larryin89

Quote from: blanketattack on March 29, 2019, 10:30:12 PM
Seems a bit unfair on the youngsters that got Mayo to the final to be replaced by the old guard for the final. Can't be good for their morale.
You'd think the youngsters would gain more from a run out in Croke Park than those who have vast experience.
Horan is probably thinking this is the likes of Vaughan, Barrett, Higgins, Keegan, O'Shea and McLoughlin's only likely chance of a national title.

Outside of Dublin and Kerry, I believe Paul Kerrigan is the only current intercounty footballer to have a league medal. Walsh and Cadogan have ones but are hurlers only now.

Plunkett and mcdonagh are injured for a start
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 29, 2019, 09:50:26 PM
I'd be surprised if that Mayo 15 starts and I'd be surprised if the Kerry 15 doesn't.

This Mayo selection will probably start.

moysider

What's this about?
He's starting a lad that played 5 minutes in the last league game. 2 others that got a couple of runs with mixed reviews.
Who are these youngsters that got us to a league final?

Crete Boom

Quote from: moysider on March 29, 2019, 11:48:06 PM

What's this about?
He's starting a lad that played 5 minutes in the last league game. 2 others that got a couple of runs with mixed reviews.

Maybe he means Plunkett  and McDonagh but they are both struggling  with injury and didn't  tog against Monaghan either!!

moysider

Quote from: Crete Boom on March 30, 2019, 01:09:04 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 29, 2019, 11:48:06 PM

What's this about?

Maybe he means Plunkett  and McDonagh but they are both struggling  with injury and didn't  tog against Monaghan either!!

McDonagh out with concussion. Clarke as well with concussion (not a youngster obviously). Plunkett injured. Treacy rolled ankle badly v Dublin. Regan did shoulder ligaments live on tv as well and just getting back. I dunno what he is on about tbh??