NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Merciful hour that is about as weak an excuse as you'd get, Monaghan threw away a win against them as well.
I think the "stumbling block" last year's Kerry team hit in the Super 8's was the fact they weren't lining out against an abject Cork team in every match.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tubberman on February 27, 2019, 08:55:54 AM
Kerry would have won the All-Ireland last year only it started raining.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/osullivan-i-genuinely-thought-wed-win-allireland-37859374.html

"Coming through Munster I was like, this team has what it takes to win an All-Ireland.

"I thought we were never as well prepared in terms of what we needed, we couldn't have asked for more with the back room team, medical team, nutritionists and then we hit a stumbling block.

"We prepared unbelievably well for Galway but we got to Croke Park and it started to rain.

"Now it's a funny thing to blame rain in Ireland but when your game-plan is based around playing a certain way and you get to Croke Park and you can't do that because of the skid off the ball ... we just didn't adapt.

"You go to Clones then, a place you haven't played championship before, and are chasing a result against a strong Monaghan team and the doubt just crept in to fellas."

Aw poor old Kerry. Losing two years in a row to Connacht teams.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Tubberman on February 27, 2019, 08:55:54 AM
Kerry would have won the All-Ireland last year only it started raining.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/osullivan-i-genuinely-thought-wed-win-allireland-37859374.html

"Coming through Munster I was like, this team has what it takes to win an All-Ireland.

"I thought we were never as well prepared in terms of what we needed, we couldn't have asked for more with the back room team, medical team, nutritionists and then we hit a stumbling block.

"We prepared unbelievably well for Galway but we got to Croke Park and it started to rain.

"Now it's a funny thing to blame rain in Ireland but when your game-plan is based around playing a certain way and you get to Croke Park and you can't do that because of the skid off the ball ... we just didn't adapt.

"You go to Clones then, a place you haven't played championship before, and are chasing a result against a strong Monaghan team and the doubt just crept in to fellas."

O'Sullivan just a bit deluded. Kerry were hopeless in defence last year and would probably that faced a record championship defeat to Dublin if they played them last summer.

Manning18

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 27, 2019, 08:10:39 AM
Fair play to the Galway bucks. Kinda putting the game on Saturday night in the background. Thankfully.

Last saturday or this?

Blowitupref

This weekend predictions

Tyrone v Cavan - Tyrone by 2 points
Mayo v Galway - Draw
Roscommon v Dublin - Dublin by 9 points
Kerry v Monaghan - Kerry by 3 points

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Manning18 on February 27, 2019, 03:56:35 PM
Fair play to the Galway bucks. Kinda putting the game on Saturday night in the background. Thankfully.

Last saturday or this?

Both. I don't know how where Mayo's scores are going to come from this weekend if Galway flood the defence.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 27, 2019, 04:36:44 PM

Last saturday or this?

Both. I don't know how where Mayo's scores are going to come from this weekend if Galway flood the defence.

You're in luck Galway hardly hitting big scores.

I can see Cooke starting along with Flynn & Duggan this week if he's fit, he'll try and force Hennelly to go long with his kick outs and given Galway's size advantage around the middle. Even lads like McHugh & Duane who are't giants are very good fielders. Given its a smaller pitch that tactic is easier to implement.

Horan will have Mayo really pumped up with this given whats happened the last few years, we're in for a low scoring physical game in shit weather; Can't wait!!!

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 27, 2019, 04:44:45 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 27, 2019, 04:36:44 PM

Last saturday or this?

You're in luck Galway hardly hitting big scores.

I can see Cooke starting along with Flynn & Duggan this week if he's fit, he'll try and force Hennelly to go long with his kick outs and given Galway's size advantage around the middle. Even lads like McHugh & Duane who are't giants are very good fielders. Given its a smaller pitch that tactic is easier to implement.

Horan will have Mayo really pumped up with this given whats happened the last few years, we're in for a low scoring physical game in shit weather; Can't wait!!!
Thats an impressive build up for the game MM - you will have both sets of supporters chomping at the bit for Sat eve!!  ;D

Itchy

This weekend predictions

Tyrone v Cavan -Cavan to continue to lift the hex and win by 2 points
Mayo v Galway - Mayo to win by 3
Roscommon v Dublin - Dublin by 6
Kerry v Monaghan - Kerry by 1 (Kerry not as great as the media are blowing them up to be)

An Fhairche Abu

Galway team for Saturday evening named:

1. Ruairí Lavelle
2. Eoghan Kerin
3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
4. David Wynne
5. Gary O Donnell
6. Gareth Bradshaw
7. Johnny Heaney
8. Thomas Flynn
9. Ciaran Duggan
10. Michael Daly
11. Johnny Duane
12. Eamonn Brannigan
13. Barry McHugh
14. Pádraic Cunningham
15. Antaine Ó Laoi

Might we get a shock and have no changes prior to the throw in?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 28, 2019, 10:12:12 PM

1. Ruairí Lavelle
2. Eoghan Kerin
3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
4. David Wynne
5. Gary O Donnell
6. Gareth Bradshaw
7. Johnny Heaney
8. Thomas Flynn
9. Ciaran Duggan
10. Michael Daly
11. Johnny Duane
12. Eamonn Brannigan
13. Barry McHugh
14. Pádraic Cunningham
15. Antaine Ó Laoi

Sean Kelly,Peter Cooke,Shane Walsh out injured or all will likely start?

GalwayBayBoy

1. Ruairí Lavelle
2. Eoghan Kerin
3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
4. David Wynne
5. Gary O Donnell
6. Gareth Bradshaw
7. Johnny Heaney
8. Thomas Flynn
9. Ciaran Duggan
10. Michael Daly
11. Johnny Duane
12. Eamonn Brannigan
13. Barry McHugh
14. Pádraic Cunningham
15. Antaine Ó Laoi

Maybe Cooke for Duane might be a change on the day? No Shane Walsh but he did pick up a knock against Kerry so probably is out. Sean Kelly had his leg strapped with ice so he's probably out. Brannigan's first game in a long time. Would be surprised if he's not very rusty.

An Fhairche Abu

Kelly is definitely out, Walsh might be as well. Don't know about Cooke.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2019, 11:30:51 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 26, 2019, 11:00:06 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2019, 09:26:00 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 25, 2019, 09:17:34 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on February 25, 2019, 04:55:49 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 25, 2019, 04:29:42 PM
Quote from: mouview on February 25, 2019, 04:04:13 PM
There wasn't an awfully bad home crowd there, but it's not an excuse to say that few are attracted to see this Galway team play. They are desperately hard to watch and I wouldn't have gone to see them play in Salthill, had it been there.

Look it's just my own personal opinion/frustration about the generally piss poor Galway support, felt more like a Kerry home match at times yesterday.
I've heard plenty of different reasons for this down through the years, always seems to be something and it was the same way when Galway played the nice traditional stuff as well.
It's always been the way as far as I can remember and I've been going to Galway matches for the best part of 40 years, notable exception being late 90s and early 00s for obvious reasons.  The hurling support had actually dwindled quite a lot in the late 90s so it's not surprising to see it all linked to relative success I guess.  Anyway, it is what is right now but hopeful of it growing in the next couple of years! 😉
i remember us playing galway in the 1995 semi final and out of an attendance of 37k there was def less than 5k from galway. was shocking. they won the ai 3 years later and had plenty of supporters.lol
I dunno
Maybe if Tyrone had a few more all Irelands the attendance patterns might be different.  :o
Tyrone had zero all Irelands in 95 and Galway had a few passengers on the team. 
History gives a different perspective on mediocrity. Tyrone are at a different stage of development. 

Ni uasal agus iseal ach thuas seal agus thios seal   

Yeah, Galway supporters in 1995 must have been blasé about winning Sam Maguire given the fact that they won it 29 years previously.

You know when the team isn't good enough. Nobody expected to win that semi as far as I was concerned. It was good to win Connacht and we had a good day out in Dublin.
But I remember talking to my father's uncles about the football when I was a teenager. And he said that when they got a good team together down past Clonberne they could beat anyone .
And that has a pedigree. Donnellan was on the 98 team. His father and grandfather won all Irelands before him.

So you might find Mayo posters laughing about how shite Galway have been over the last 15 years. And they have been abysmal
But when they get a team going they can go all the way. And not many other counties can say that. Down can also do it.  The Galway hurlers can't do it BTW
Mayo leave it behind them as well.

It remains to be seen if Tyrone can deliver on demand

You do realise of course that that is very close to a lot of ideologies you would find unpalatable in another context?   

Manning18

1. Ruairí Lavelle
2. Eoghan Kerin
3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
4. David Wynne
5. Gary O Donnell
6. Gareth Bradshaw
7. Johnny Heaney
8. Thomas Flynn
9. Ciaran Duggan
10. Michael Daly
11. Johnny Duane
12. Eamonn Brannigan
13. Barry McHugh
14. Pádraic Cunningham
15. Antaine Ó Laoi

Corofin alone would be strong favourites versus that side and that's no exaggeration. Horan must be beside himself