Gaa world games next week UCD and Croke park

Started by sligoman2, August 06, 2016, 06:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Jinxy on August 11, 2016, 11:21:08 AM
Good to see the Arab world has finally forgiven him for this.

I didn't know Banty had Maori blood in him.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2019, 11:54:29 AM
Just thought I'd revive this topic after the day we had in Coolera/Strandhill yesterday. We welcomed our visitors San Isidro Gaelico from Buenos Aires, Argentina and had a tremendous evening. From retired older former players giving it one more run out to young underage players showing how they're developing we put the visitors through their paces with a series of games and a coaching session. I was amazed at their skill levels considering they only formed the club 2 years ago and are all native Argentinian. Obviously need to improve certain aspects and were very direct in their questioning afterwards as to what we thought of them. Very keen to learn. They ranged in ages from 15 to 56 (the two players at the extremities of the ages were both remarkable....the young lad would make any U-16 team here and the old guy never stopped running) and are tremendously dedicated to their "family", their club.

After the games we retired to the Strand Bar and once the guitars came out things went to another level. A truly great night and great experience for us all.

The lads head on this morning on their tour of the country (Foxford, Moycullen and a training session with Colm Collins in Calrecastle await) before arriving in Waterford for the World Games which start on Monday. It's simply an amazing achievement for them to make it to this event....this say they are living their dream.

Details of this years competitions here https://www.gaa.ie/worldgames/
Great stuff Seanie. Thanks for sharing.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on July 25, 2019, 10:44:08 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2019, 11:54:29 AM
Just thought I'd revive this topic after the day we had in Coolera/Strandhill yesterday. We welcomed our visitors San Isidro Gaelico from Buenos Aires, Argentina and had a tremendous evening. From retired older former players giving it one more run out to young underage players showing how they're developing we put the visitors through their paces with a series of games and a coaching session. I was amazed at their skill levels considering they only formed the club 2 years ago and are all native Argentinian. Obviously need to improve certain aspects and were very direct in their questioning afterwards as to what we thought of them. Very keen to learn. They ranged in ages from 15 to 56 (the two players at the extremities of the ages were both remarkable....the young lad would make any U-16 team here and the old guy never stopped running) and are tremendously dedicated to their "family", their club.

After the games we retired to the Strand Bar and once the guitars came out things went to another level. A truly great night and great experience for us all.

The lads head on this morning on their tour of the country (Foxford, Moycullen and a training session with Colm Collins in Calrecastle await) before arriving in Waterford for the World Games which start on Monday. It's simply an amazing achievement for them to make it to this event....this say they are living their dream.

Details of this years competitions here https://www.gaa.ie/worldgames/
Great stuff Seanie. Thanks for sharing.

No problem. I'm sure there are many other similar events taking place throughout the country before and after this competition and hopefully others can share as well.

sligoman2

I expect this will another great success.  It's great to see all these teams coming to our shores to play our native games.  Hopefully no sweepers included :D :D :D :D
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

magpie seanie

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 25, 2019, 02:32:30 PM
I expect this will another great success.  It's great to see all these teams coming to our shores to play our native games.  Hopefully no sweepers included :D :D :D :D

No sweepers in evidence the other night (though on a few occasions some people  :-[ may have looked like one but were just unable to follow the play and taking a breather!!!!). I think in a 9 a side game it would be a fairly pointless tactic.