So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rossfan on April 03, 2015, 09:59:50 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 03, 2015, 09:27:03 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on April 03, 2015, 09:18:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 03, 2015, 08:25:06 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on April 02, 2015, 06:01:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 02, 2015, 05:56:35 PM
Last year we were told that the high scoring seen in the League was all down to the Black Card and thus proved its success.

This year we still have the magnificent Black Card, but somehow we have muck. How can this be? Surely the Black Card was the messiah and saved us from cynicism! Maybe we need another card, or a book, or a tick, or a bin, or a committee, or a committee to hear appeals from that committee. Please someone introduce something!

Simple - scoring would be even lower if there weren't a black card.

If high scoring 'proved' its success, then it can't have it cake and eat it with horrible low scoring this year:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2014/1002/649559-stats/

With more & more teams adopting the blanket defence scores were bound drop.  Black card can't do anything about that, I would say it would be even lower without the black card

Maybe the black card is part of the reason why more and more teams are adopting the blanket defence?
hmmmm...... do we simply go back to non stop fouling and giving frees so??

Hmmmm.......Ah sure it's grand the way it is then so if those are the only options!
That was never a square ball!!

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on April 02, 2015, 05:56:35 PM
Last year we were told that the high scoring seen in the League was all down to the Black Card and thus proved its success.

This year we still have the magnificent Black Card, but somehow we have muck. How can this be? Surely the Black Card was the messiah and saved us from cynicism! Maybe we need another card, or a book, or a tick, or a bin, or a committee, or a committee to hear appeals from that committee. Please someone introduce something!

Once it allowed replacement of players it was a dead duck. Ulster saw to the replacement of players

sligoman2

Now that the league is over I thought  it might be worth seeing what the prevailing sentiment is. I even put up a new poll to test the water...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Denn Forever

I just wish it was applied correctly. 

Ruined the Down game with the sending off rather being Black carded.  Especially galling as it was applied correctly on the Roscommon corner back in the second half.

But then even Pundits don't agree on how to implement it.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rossfan

Down man sent off for 2nd yellow. If he'd got a black it would also mean a red and no replacement ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Keyboard Warrior

The black card was introduced, in my view, under the premise that the malaise of football was down to the cynicism of players and 'nasty northerner tactics'. We see after this years league campaign that teams have adopted even greater levels of defensive strategy. This is in contrast to predictions of pro black card advocates who claimed it would allow the skillful players to flourish.

The outstanding issues are still what they were before the black card introduction:

• The tackle is not clearly defined
    Refereeing inconsistency (both between different referees and the same referee at different periods of a game)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2015, 10:38:40 AM
Down man sent off for 2nd yellow. If he'd got a black it would also mean a red and no replacement ;)
Jesus lads, every foul doesnt need a card.  :-\
Sometimes a foul is just a foul. Freekick, move on.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

illdecide

I was at the Armagh game on Sat and Finn Mo got booked (yellow card), 5 mins afterwards he committed another foul to which the Ref showed him another yellow followed by a black and then a red...Why was this shown? I was under the impression two yellows equalled a red (simple) or if you already had a yellow and then received a black this equalled a red too but why get all 3? He showed that many cards I was waiting on a green or blue card too...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AZOffaly

I'd say the ref got confused. He's probably lucky he didn't give him a good luck card. You are right. 2 yellow card fouls = Red. 1 yellow card followed by a black card = Red.

muppet

The last two posts alone show the farcical situation a new confusing sanction can create.

I also agree with the previous two posts.
MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

Just to confirm. if you receive a Yellow card and later receive a black card, does that equal a Red Card?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 28, 2015, 12:12:31 PM

Just to confirm. if you receive a Yellow card and later receive a black card, does that equal a Red Card?

Yes
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

sligoman2

Yes but it doesn't come with a game suspension or does it
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

illdecide

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 28, 2015, 12:24:59 PM
Yes but it doesn't come with a game suspension or does it

No...but if you get so many they can tally up and you can get a 1 game ban
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Croí na hÉireann

The only positive development that the black card, as is currently defined, has brought is the elimination of off the ball blocking of runs.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...