Ronaldo's career may be over

Started by Owenmoresider, February 13, 2008, 11:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

The real Ronaldo that is, what a player in his prime:

Ronaldo Career Virtually Over

The career of Milan striker Ronaldo is virtually over after it was confirmed that he has completely severed the tendon in his left knee.

Ronaldo collapsed in the penalty area in agony just minutes after coming on as a substitute in tonight's 1-1 draw with Livorno.

El Fenomeno was stretchered off the pitch in serious distress and he was in floods of tears.

The seriousness of the situation could be seen immediately as the Milan players were clearly shaken up by what they had seen.

Ronaldo was immediately rushed to hospital where tests revealed that he had completely severed the tendon in his left knee.

The 31-year-old has already suffered this injury twice before, first in 1998 and then in 2000. In total these kept him out of the game for the best part of three years.

With this in mind, and also considering the fact that reports yesterday suggested that he was already considering retirement at the end of the season, it seems highly likely that the great career of Ronaldo has come to an end.

J70

Just imagine how great he could have been if he hadn't been plagued by injuries. Brilliant striker.

Ten years ago he was head and shoulders above everyone else, until he suffered from that fit before the world cup final. He was never the same player after that and the first knee injury, even if he did show some great form here and there (when he was fit) and won the 2002 world cup final for Brazil.

AZOffaly

Sad way to go out. I'm looking forward to a 'tell all' autobiography, especially if it goes into the real reason why he played against France in 1998. Was it really a sponsor's edict from on high?

Was a great goalscorer in his younger days, but his weight and lifestyle were always going to cause him to slow down.

Adeus O Fenômen

Aerlik

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

EC Unique

Great player but was a bit too fond of the white stuff! :o

AZOffaly

full back

Minder

Read an article on his time at Real Madrid, he came out of the shower and Capello shouted "are you not ashamed of how fat you are", Ronaldo just smiled. He also worked his way through 3 Magnum ice lollies during a team meeting. His season at Barcelona was one of the best you will ever see, there have only been glimpses of it since.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

5 Sams

I remember everyone in Old Trafford giving him a standing ovation even though he singlehandedly knocked United out of the Champions League with a hat trick in 2003.

What a player!!
The Aristocrat Years

muppet

The most complete striker the muppet has ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2NHqSXftzU

Notice that he was doing Ronaldinho 'elastic' thing and Christiano Ronaldo's heel trick a long time before either of them came along.

He always struck me as a fella you would enjoy a pint with, which may have been part of the problem. Italian clubs always put 2 defenders on him with a midfielder assigned to drop back to cover him also.
MWWSI 2017

An Fear Rua

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 14, 2008, 10:07:13 AM
I remember everyone in Old Trafford giving him a standing ovation even though he singlehandedly knocked United out of the Champions League with a hat trick in 2003.

What a player!!

He was superb that night, without really breaking sweat. I stood and applauded him off as did everyone around me. He later said that the fans reaction will be one his best memories in football.
Its Grim up North

Square Ball

sad to see, one of the greatest strikers EVER
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Minder

I applauded the whole Real Madrid team that night.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North