Petrol/Diesel prices in your area

Started by Owenmoresider, November 12, 2007, 12:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Just curious to know how much is being charged for petrol and diesel around the country, given the hike in prices last week. Up by about 7c around Sligo, an utter rip-off, but it could be the case that the Rally might give them an excuse to charge high for the week ahead.

From my travels, the following prices were noted (NB my interest is in diesel, so I'm not 100% certain of the petrol):

Sligo town - 121.9 for both, across the board. Didn't see the off-bypass ones though, but I suspect it's no different. Were generally 114 a week ago.
Collooney - 121.9, up from 112 last week.
Ballymote- a rare case, the diesel is dearer than petrol, 121.9 to 120.9. Up by 9c in diesel's case, a bit less for petrol.
Tubbercurry - Doohan's is 117-115 for P-D, the cheapest i've seen in SO, while the station on the Curry side is 2c dearer. Not sure how much that's up though. Didn't see McCarrick's.
Ballina - the station on the Cross road is 117-115 for P-D, while there's another one there nearer the town 2c higher. Others appear to be higher still.
Crossmolina - around 119-117 IIRC in the station on the Belmullet side.
Belmullet - 120-119 for P-D, that being the one on the Bangor road. One on that peninsula side not showing prices, like the station in Bangor.

Apparently Ballinamore is around 116 for petrol, while Carrick isn't much dearer. I'd expect the one in Castlebaldwin would be reasonable too, but one wonders about that.  :D

Prior to the increase, Galway city was around 116 for both, while Tuam was about 4-5c cheaper. Ballindine was dirt cheap for diesel - all three stations at 107, with the petrol not too much higher. Apparently Claremorris was around that figure too. But they will all be higher now of course.

Any other prices of note? NB for conversion purposes, £1 = €1.42 at present, or €1 = £0.70.

Goats Do Shave

£1.04 On the Portydown Road this morning!!!  >:( >:(

Dinny Breen

Kildare Town - Diesel 1.13 Petrol 1.16
#newbridgeornowhere

el_cuervo_fc

Mcanerneys in armagh was £1.07 On saturday

The Subbie

Ryano

I was coming out of Dublin yesterday and needed Diesel so i pulled into a Statoil on the quays. Hopped out, opened the tank and reached for the pump. Then copped the price, 179.9 for both Petrol and Diesel. Are they taking the piss??? I'd sooner have pushed the f*ckin car to Galway rather then pay that. Hopped back into the car and hit off out the motorway. Filled up out the road for 117. What amazed me though was that there were people all around me filling up there cars @179.9. Muppets!

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Ryano on November 12, 2007, 09:19:38 AM
I was coming out of Dublin yesterday and needed Diesel so i pulled into a Statoil on the quays. Hopped out, opened the tank and reached for the pump. Then copped the price, 179.9 for both Petrol and Diesel. Are they taking the piss??? I'd sooner have pushed the f*ckin car to Galway rather then pay that. Hopped back into the car and hit off out the motorway. Filled up out the road for 117. What amazed me though was that there were people all around me filling up there cars @179.9. Muppets!
Supposedly the reason for the ridiculous price is that this filling station has the garda contract and so it doesn't really matter what they charge, as they will have guaranteed revenue.

lynchbhoy

the funny thing was that a few years ago, it was the cheapest place for petrol/diesel in dublin - and was for yonks before that.
Now as it has the cop deal, and is the only petrol station around for a fair bit - they can,and get a lot of custom.

his holiness nb

Filled up this morning in Statoil just north of Ashbourne on the N2, 119.8 for diesel, think petrol was the same.
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 12, 2007, 10:13:52 AM

the funny thing was that a few years ago, it was the cheapest place for petrol/diesel in dublin - and was for yonks before that.
Now as it has the cop deal, and is the only petrol station around for a fair bit - they can,and get a lot of custom.

Rumor has it Statoil are none too happy about this and will be pulling their franchise from this station soon.

Poor city planning really .If you don't know Dublin well and your rightly stuck your not going to risk driving around looking for the 1 other city centre garage i can think of.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

An Fear Rua

statet prices seem very high, the shell near me was 99p a litre this morning
Its Grim up North

Orior

I never look at the price. Am I stinkin rich or what?

Life is too short to spend half the day driving around looking for the cheapest. And when you do find the cheapest, some bar stewart will be around the corner waiting to tell you he got his even cheaper.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Orior on November 12, 2007, 12:53:45 PM
I never look at the price. Am I stinkin rich or what?

Life is too short to spend half the day driving around looking for the cheapest. And when you do find the cheapest, some bar stewart will be around the corner waiting to tell you he got his even cheaper.
Maybe so, but we're getting a seriously bad deal around Sligo and its surrounds, the price here has become a rip-off, so anywhere that doesn't engage in that deserves to get business for doing so. Sligo and Tubber are the same distance to me either way, but there's 4-5c in the difference, so it's worth the journey.

muppet

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 12, 2007, 09:58:33 AM
Supposedly the reason for the ridiculous price is that this filling station has the garda contract and so it doesn't really matter what they charge, as they will have guaranteed revenue.

Urban legend I'm afraid BnMM. The Gárdaí, like other huge fuel consumers, use fuel cards. They pay Statoil or whoever a set rate regardless of the price on the pump. You will see squad cars at that station but they don't pay that rate.

As for the price, consider that we are actually getting it quite cheap thanks to the weak dollar. Imagine if the Dollar and Euro were close to parity. We would have 30%-40% higher prices!
MWWSI 2017

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: muppet on November 12, 2007, 01:13:45 PM

Urban legend I'm afraid BnMM. The Gárdaí, like other huge fuel consumers, use fuel cards. They pay Statoil or whoever a set rate regardless of the price on the pump. You will see squad cars at that station but they don't pay that rate.
It was in Sindo, so it must be true!  ;D

Garda fumes at petrol contract

NIAMH HORAN

ONE of the most expensive petrol stations in Ireland is being used by a steady stream of Garda and ambulance drivers contracted by the State to use its pumps.

As part of what is believed to be a deal between the Government and Statoil, gardai and ambulance drivers working within the city centre are being told to use the pricey Statoil station on Usher's Quay, opposite the Four Courts.

As a result, gardai and ambulance drivers are travelling large distances to fill up at the city-centre pumps.

The station - which is currently charging €1.35 per litre of petrol compared with the average of 99¢-€1.02 per litre - is being used to fill the tanks of patrol cars from a number of the city centre's main garda stations.

One garda estimated that it is costing the taxpayer up to €300 a week to fill his patrol car.

While filling his State vehicle at the gas pumps, the garda told the Sunday Independent that he thought the decision to use one of the most expensive petrol stations in the country was "ridiculous".

"I don't know of any other Statoil in the city centre; I would always use this one," he told us. "This car would use up about 35 litres a day because it's going 24 hours.

"It's not my call, though - it's a State car. They want me to come here because it's the main Statoil petrol station in the city centre.

"The next Statoil station is in Clondalkin, I think, so this is where all the guards have to come - be they from Kilmainham, Pearse Street, Kevin Street or Harcourt Terrace - to get their petrol. It's absolutely ridiculous - but that's the State for you . . . they're backward."

He continued: "I'd be happy to use somewhere else if I could. I use the Shell station for my own car and it's only around 99¢ a litre, so I'm happy with that. But this is a State car, so it doesn't really bother me."

An ambulance driver with the Health Service Executive who was also filling his vehicle at the pumps at €1.35 had the same attitude. "It's not my problem," he said. "I don't do the contracts. I just find the nearest Statoil petrol station and fill it."

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the HSE said: "It's a value-for-money thing more than anything else." They then explained their reasoning. "Where on-site fuel is not available for Ambulance Emergency Responsive Vehicles, prior arrangements have been put in place at a local level with Statoil.

"This arrangement was made with Statoil in line with the required criteria to meet the specific needs of the Ambulance Emergency Responsive Vehicles and to run an efficient ambulance service."

She cited the need for 24-hour accessibility to a fuelling service all year round, the proximity of the fuelling stations to the areas in which ambulances operate and the need for a facility that provides a traceable service among the list of reasons why specific petrol stations were chosen.

When contacted, management at the Statoil station had no comment to make.

The Gardai said: "We have contracts with a number of fuel suppliers to supply fuel to the gardai.

"These contracts are awarded following a competitive tendering process which is undertaken by the Government Supplies Agency on behalf of the Garda Siochana," said the Gardai.