Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Thought Oran McFadden would have been better suited to the wing rather than number 6 and a swap with Paddy Burke would have been the early call when it wasn't working out for him. Tough getting pulled to the line early in the game. Mattie Donnelly did help shore up that position when he came in it has to be said. He's maybe a year or so off it, but Burke looks like a man who could  be a solid centre half for a the next few years.... he's just got that demeanor about him.

Up front ..Niall McKenna, I thought was solid throughout the game and was our go to man on the puckouts where he won plenty of the aerial contests ... looks leaner and able to cover the ground better as well. Ciaran Clarke and Conor Johnson did well, but thought Neal looked like a back up in the forward line. Clarkes striking and touch was top drawer throughout.... but we struggled to get him on the ball for large parts needed frees to keep him active in the game .... great wrists scoring a first half point from play on the dugout side of the field ... very little back swing .

Agree with others about the 'flatness' mentioned... personally I think the people watching have to start making a bit more noise to push the team on.... that would certainly help bring a bit of atmosphere. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hand up

Swings and Roundabouts on the noise, we could do with seeing something to be noisy about? Unfortunately I'd be worried about us getting promoted with that squad and nobody else ready to step up that I can see. Before anyone jumps all over that statement, it's a catch 22 we possibly(hopefully) may rise our performances 10/15% against better/bigger named Counties as I'm sure it doesn't inspire the panel playing against the likes of Armagh.
Some very good showingsome it has to be said Pad Burke as I suggested a few weeks ago is our best option for CHB get him in now!!  I feel a bit for Clyde because other than the management I'd don't know anyone that would play him anywhere else but CB.
Shorty/McManus are massive losses to us but if either get a break will be back sooner than later to give us a shot in the arm upfront where we need them. The Defence is nearly sorted, so all in all at least we are going forward rather than staying at the same standard.

Na Glinntí Glasa

I thought Paddy Burke had a great game and i agree with others that he looks a good option for the no6 position. Would prefer Simon and woody then either side of him. The full back line i would leave as is as its pretty settled in there now. keeper, well Chrissy is a class act in there each time he plays and i cant see anyone shifting him.

Up front is where we have problems. If we had Neil and shorty in there it would help but at the moment Clarky is carrying the most of the scores on his own. Johnston was decent on Sunday in the corner, took some nice scores but i dont understand Neil McAuley in there at all. Its like the time we play Matty in there as well and it didnt work.

Look its not criticism more observations at the moment as i feel the management and the players are giving it their all and fully intent on getting antrim back up into 1B again and trying to push the county on.
hurl like f**k boi!

Usain

Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 07, 2017, 11:04:28 AM
I thought Paddy Burke had a great game and i agree with others that he looks a good option for the no6 position. Would prefer Simon and woody then either side of him. The full back line i would leave as is as its pretty settled in there now. keeper, well Chrissy is a class act in there each time he plays and i cant see anyone shifting him.

Up front is where we have problems. If we had Neil and shorty in there it would help but at the moment Clarky is carrying the most of the scores on his own. Johnston was decent on Sunday in the corner, took some nice scores but i dont understand Neil McAuley in there at all. Its like the time we play Matty in there as well and it didnt work.

Look its not criticism more observations at the moment as i feel the management and the players are giving it their all and fully intent on getting antrim back up into 1B again and trying to push the county on.

Unfortunately Neil's best days as a defender may be behind him (versus what we have in the county at present) and this is more of an accommodation for someone who has given so much to the cause and leads. But the days of the big burly full forward winning high ball are over a long time ago. Its sad to see but he may not be much of a fixture in this team over the coming months. Just my opinion.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Usain on March 07, 2017, 12:30:13 PM

Unfortunately Neil's best days as a defender may be behind him (versus what we have in the county at present) and this is more of an accommodation for someone who has given so much to the cause and leads. But the days of the big burly full forward winning high ball are over a long time ago. Its sad to see but he may not be much of a fixture in this team over the coming months. Just my opinion.

Séamus Callanan, 6.3' does ok for a big burly FF
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Usain

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2017, 12:52:21 PM

1. Callanan is much more mobile than Neil and 2. Callanan is a natural forward, Neil is a defender being accommodated as a forward.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Usain on March 07, 2017, 01:26:40 PM

1. Callanan is much more mobile than Neil and 2. Callanan is a natural forward, Neil is a defender being accommodated as a forward.

Is he big and burly and wins high ball?

Neil is a very quick lad albeit playing in an unnatural position for him... but its not impossible to change a gamekeeper into a poacher
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

well Callinan said the mc Manus is as good as he's played against a few weeks ago in the paper
Mc Manus woukd be an asset to most teams in the south never mind Antrim
We forget he has to wear a lot of hats for Antrim
If he was left just to one position on a stronger team you would see his worth
He had been good this year before injury exept v Kilkenny in the Walsh cup and has had off days
Thought he had a stinker on st Paddy's day Bar the goal
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Usain

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2017, 01:36:18 PM

Neil is a very quick lad albeit playing in an unnatural position for him... but its not impossible to change a gamekeeper into a poacher

I understand what your saying MR2 and lots of players can turn their hand to it but I've watched Ballycastle try this with him at 11 & 14 over the years and it honestly hasn't worked. Therefore I don't think we should be going down this route at intercounty level.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Usain on March 07, 2017, 01:39:19 PM

I understand what your saying MR2 and lots of players can turn their hand to it but I've watched Ballycastle try this with him at 11 & 14 over the years and it honestly hasn't worked. Therefore I don't think we should be going down this route at intercounty level.

He never gonna bust his gut for Ballycastle wherever they start him
Throw him in for Cushendall he's a different animal😃😃
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

I agree at county level, time is not on his side!! But options at the minute are slim, McCann not a FF?

Hand up

On a different sour note, one of our Minors got a bad face representing the County u17/minor squad against St Mary's CBS the lads where giving St Mary's a helping hand for their forthcoming All Ireland Campaign when a St Paul's/Rossa lad pulled the helmet of him and struck him 3 times , and nothing done about it because (a) it's a friendly or ( b) it's the Assistant County Treasurers Son who Again was involved!! Not good enough, why would young lads turn out for the County to be assaulted without retribution?

Usain

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2017, 01:54:37 PM

I agree at county level, time is not on his side!! But options at the minute are slim, McCann not a FF?

McCann certainly impressed me as 14 for Creggan couple of times I saw him. But then who goes to 11? We are a bit light up front until we get McManus and shorty back fully fit.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hand up on March 07, 2017, 02:34:50 PM
On a different sour note, one of our Minors got a bad face representing the County u17/minor squad against St Mary's CBS the lads where giving St Mary's a helping hand for their forthcoming All Ireland Campaign when a St Paul's/Rossa lad pulled the helmet of him and struck him 3 times , and nothing done about it because (a) it's a friendly or ( b) it's the Assistant County Treasurers Son who Again was involved!! Not good enough, why would young lads turn out for the County to be assaulted without retribution?

Sweep sweep... its the way forward.

btdtgtt

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 07, 2017, 02:46:13 PM
Quote from: Hand up on March 07, 2017, 02:34:50 PM

Sweep sweep... its the way forward.

And we wonder why people look to the courts for justice.