The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 31, 2022, 12:50:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 31, 2022, 09:27:31 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on August 31, 2022, 09:16:40 AM
Raducanu was beaten in the first round of the US open after winning it last year. Why has she failed to reach the heights she reached last year? Is it because shortly after winning the US Open she replaced her coaching team with a new coaching team? It doesn't seem to have helped.

Probably won it a couple of years too early in her development, but no one can take that away from her now.. Few years to mature and develop further, she could get better just very patchy at the minute with her form

Has she not changed coaches a few times. Maybe it was just a lucky win, I would nearly guess that she has lost more than she has one since last year's US open win.
I don't think it's possible that you can win 10 straight games over 3 weeks without dropping a set just by luck. There is no doubt that the draw she got was favourable with the big guns all taking each other out quite early in the tournament. You can't underestimate the difference going into a tournament as a qualifier ranked 200 odd in the world with no expectations or pressure compared to being the defending champion and basically having nearly all her ranking points being linked to one tournament.

Estimator

Prediction is that she drops from 11th in world rankings, all the way down to the 80s due to the loss of her ranking pts. Might lift some of the pressure, but she'll always be a target victory for her peers.
Based on some of the reports I've read, Cornet is no slouch, was playing in her 63rd consecutive slam (a record) and has a number of big scalps in this year's majors.
Ulster League Champions 2009

gallsman

The way it works in tennis, you have to "defend" your points from one year to the next. As last year's US Open win was such a massive outlier in her career, losing all those points will send her plummeting. Has she won three matches at a tournament since?

Cornet is a seasoned veteran on tour playing some of her best tennis, but she's also 32 and has made one GS quarter final in her career, albeit that was earlier this year. Whatever the reasons - injury, mismanagement, coaching changes etc, Raducanu's form (or lack thereof) is alarming and clearly more than just a blip.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: gallsman on September 01, 2022, 08:16:10 AM
The way it works in tennis, you have to "defend" your points from one year to the next. As last year's US Open win was such a massive outlier in her career, losing all those points will send her plummeting. Has she won three matches at a tournament since?

Cornet is a seasoned veteran on tour playing some of her best tennis, but she's also 32 and has made one GS quarter final in her career, albeit that was earlier this year. Whatever the reasons - injury, mismanagement, coaching changes etc, Raducanu's form (or lack thereof) is alarming and clearly more than just a blip.

Agree. It's a bit like a number of the young English footballers around. It's almost a case of job done money made, just sit back and relax and then they wonder why their form drops off a cliff when not much effort being put in.

Dougal Maguire

With a Grade C in my O Level Maths I'm thinking of contacting the person who nominated Emma Raducanu for an MBE for services to tennis to see if he could get me one for services to numeracy
Careful now

Ghost

Nadal a sorry sight at the minute. Absolutely wrecked by injuries. hard to see him continuing much longer.

Nanderson

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 18, 2023, 06:34:16 PM
With a Grade C in my O Level Maths I'm thinking of contacting the person who nominated Emma Raducanu for an MBE for services to tennis to see if he could get me one for services to numeracy
If thats the highest grade anyone in your country got for 40 odd years you'd maybe have an argument

Quote from: Ghost on January 18, 2023, 06:39:45 PM
Nadal a sorry sight at the minute. Absolutely wrecked by injuries. hard to see him continuing much longer.
I fear that this years French Open might just be his final tournament if he can clear up his injuries in time to compete

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ghost on January 18, 2023, 06:39:45 PM
He has a lot of miles on the clock. Retire at the top and get the hair done.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Nanderson on January 18, 2023, 07:31:42 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 18, 2023, 06:34:16 PM
If thats the highest grade anyone in your country got for 40 odd years you'd maybe have an argument
Well using the Emma scenario it would also depend on everyone else that sat the exam in the previous 40 years being reasonably thick
Careful now

mrdeeds

Andy Murray won a 5hr 45 match there at 4am with a metal hip. He also got one of the best points you'll ever see. Remarkable stuff. Two days after another 5 setter.

Nanderson

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 19, 2023, 05:39:11 PM
Andy Murray won a 5hr 45 match there at 4am with a metal hip. He also got one of the best points you'll ever see. Remarkable stuff. Two days after another 5 setter.
He's a warrior. Started to win over some of the aussie crowd rocky-esque

Armamike

Amazing comeback.  Has anyone ever played at this level with a metal hip before?!
That's just, like your opinion man.

Nanderson

Quote from: Armamike on January 19, 2023, 07:03:53 PM
Amazing comeback.  Has anyone ever played at this level with a metal hip before?!
Think one of the bryan brothers had the exact same surgery late in their career but doubles would be a lot less intense on the body. I'd imagine if he ever wins a ATP500/1000 he'll have done so much more than he could have imagined with this hip

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ghost

He'll probably add another couple before the years out. None of the younger lads can get near him. Don't know if this Alvarez lad will be any sort of a match for him when he comes back either.