Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

We have little option other than to pack midfield and try and win the breaking ball as we just do not have players available who are likely to take clean catches. Short kick outs are very risky against well organised opponents and a turnover could easily have led to a Westmeath goal in the first half last night.
Donnelly will make a difference when he recovers from injury but we never really replaced the likes of Gordon, King and Ambrose from a few years ago.  However, coming from behind to grab injury time wins twice in a row is bound to increase our confidence in a tight division. Our trip to Longford in a fortnight wil be crucial as they had an excellent win away to Carlow today.

PAULD123

Such a pity Niall Parland is in Qatar, I think he could have been developed into a quality midfielder for us

outinfront

Fixtures calendar (yet to be approved) has been sent to clubs

Sandstorm

First of all can I explain that I am not from Down but regularly  visit your site to read  the many comments and constructive discussion that takes place and generally enjoy the posts. However, I see unwarranted  comments from one poster constantly criticising others and generally attempting to insult other clubs and individuals. Downjim, to my knowledge your club is a well respected club in GAA circules the length and breadth of Ireland, but your antics reflects on your club whether you like it or not and I'm sure the good people from Burren are embarrassed by your pathetic juvenile behaviour. We are all GAA people and do not need to attempt to insult each other, there are enough begrudgers out there willing to do that to our great association. So please show respect to all in our sport.

Targetman

charlieTully

Quote from: Sandstorm on February 13, 2019, 07:30:42 PM
First of all can I explain that I am not from Down but regularly  visit your site to read  the many comments and constructive discussion that takes place and generally enjoy the posts. However, I see unwarranted  comments from one poster constantly criticising others and generally attempting to insult other clubs and individuals. Downjim, to my knowledge your club is a well respected club in GAA circules the length and breadth of Ireland, but your antics reflects on your club whether you like it or not and I'm sure the good people from Burren are embarrassed by your pathetic juvenile behaviour. We are all GAA people and do not need to attempt to insult each other, there are enough begrudgers out there willing to do that to our great association. So please show respect to all in our sport.

Good man Smurph.

Smurfy123

Unlucky Carryduff in today's final. Only a matter of time until Laverty transfers from Saul

Cuan12

That's the stupidest comment you have ever posted smurf, what basis are you using to substantiate this notion, the lad played in a few games for Carryduff because his own club didn't have a team in the competition, Down ultimately benefit , so what's the problem, narrow minded south down clubmen like yourself are vexed because your own clubs are not winning the u21 championship , bottom line is , you should keep those stupid thoughts to yourself.

KeyboardWarrior645

Hardly downs benefit cuan if he's playing for carryduff? If it was down's benefit he'd be playing for down. Still a disgrace that carryduff are happy enough for their own players to sit on the bench and not get any football but take in other lads from other clubs and give them football. What are carryduff gonna do with their seniors this year? Heard they are looking Donal o'hare in. Wonder will they get him?
Fact of the matter is east down football bar kilcoo is in a shambolic state currently and this is only going to continue and the gap is only getting bigger.

thewobbler

Quote from: KeyboardWarrior645 on February 18, 2019, 12:24:06 PM
Hardly downs benefit cuan if he's playing for carryduff? If it was down's benefit he'd be playing for down. Still a disgrace that carryduff are happy enough for their own players to sit on the bench and not get any football but take in other lads from other clubs and give them football. What are carryduff gonna do with their seniors this year? Heard they are looking Donal o'hare in. Wonder will they get him?
Fact of the matter is east down football bar kilcoo is in a shambolic state currently and this is only going to continue and the gap is only getting bigger.

5 of the 11 clubs in ACFL1 are from East Down.

I believe they'll be joined in the SFC by Liatroim, Bredagh and Carryduff.

I'm not sure what you use for your baramoter, but it would appear to be somewhat flawed.

Centre 3/4

Clonduff brought in players for u21 for years. Carryduff allowed Laverty to play for them to benefit the lad and the boys around him got to play in an Ulster final. What better way to improve your senior team than get your young players playing at the top level? Even better news is they have 13 boys back next year to do it all again.

Targetman

What players did Clonduff bring in?

Maiden1

Colm McAlarney was on a combined Laitroim Loughinisland minor team that got to the final of the Down championship in the mid 60s.  There have probably been amalgamations for as long as teams have played.

Colm McAlarney could well have made the down minor team anyhow but it makes it a lot easier for the county manager to see a player if his club team is playing at a good standard.  Certainly easier to pick than if the player wasn't playing any football because his club team hadn't the numbers to get 15 players at that grade.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

ardtole

Saul and ardglass amalgamation won the very first Ulster minor club back in 1983 I think it was.