Touring Caravan

Started by Karl Kennedy, August 01, 2018, 05:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Kennedy

Thinking of buying a 4/5 berth touring caravan with the intention of using it for a number years touring round Ireland and possibly France at some stage.

I have been doing some research online and looking for a decent second hand caravan.

Anyone here own a touring caravan or have had advice / experience of them? Any models to go for or avoid?

I am aware of water, waste barrels, electric leads, gas,  awning, ground sheets but are there any other main essentials needed?

Dougal Maguire

Most modern caravans are fine and I'm not aware of any makes that would give trouble. Any think from about 2000 onwards should be fine although I'd advise you, depending on what your budget is, to go 2005 or above. If you've researched it I'd advise you to buy privately as that way you'll get a cheaper van and also you tend to get all the necessary accessories. How many kids do you have because that will determine the best layout of a caravan for you. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Careful now

Mickey Linden

Out of interest; what sort of money would a decent caravan be?

Over the Bar

Most nowadays are good. I've bought 4 so far with a good tip from a neighbour. Try not to go beyond 12 years old.  Buy after Halloween to get the best deals, families needing £ for Christmas.  Keep no more than 2 years and buy your second just before Christmas and then sell the other one the following spring during the first spell of good weather.  This way you should never lose £ as you are buying when noone else is and selling at peak demand time.

Don Johnson

Should this not be posted in the mid life crisis thread?

Don Johnson

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 01, 2018, 10:35:23 PM
Most nowadays are good. I've bought 4 so far with a good tip from a neighbour. Try not to go beyond 12 years old.  Buy after Halloween to get the best deals, families needing £ for Christmas.  Keep no more than 2 years and buy your second just before Christmas and then sell the other one the following spring during the first spell of good weather.  This way you should never lose £ as you are buying when noone else is and selling at peak demand time.

Oi, no professionals.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Mickey Linden on August 01, 2018, 10:29:23 PM
Out of interest; what sort of money would a decent caravan be?
Over the bar's advice is excellent. As regards decent I'd judge anything from about 2002 onwards as being decent, but it depends on how well they are looked after. It's a fair ball park to look at the year as being an indication as to the price, so for instance a 2004 caravan is good value at around £4,000. 2007 £7,000 etc. You'll pay more with a dealer.
Careful now

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Don Johnson on August 01, 2018, 10:36:57 PM
Should this not be posted in the mid life crisis thread?
A Ducati or a Porsche is a midlife crisis purchase, not a touring caravan!

stephenite

At first glance I thought this title read 'Touring Cavan'

AZOffaly

I'd love a Camper Van. Prices are crazy though. Not sure if mid life Crisis, but I love the idea of jumping into it on a Friday and driving off to Clare or somewhere relatively close, and just staying the weekend.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2018, 11:23:42 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 02, 2018, 10:40:22 AM
I'd love a Camper Van. Prices are crazy though. Not sure if mid life Crisis, but I love the idea of jumping into it on a Friday and driving off to Clare or somewhere relatively close, and just staying the weekend.
Be a ballix if you had to drive somewhere while on your weekend break. Packing the whole kit up and shunting that big yoke around the ring of Kerry or up to the supermarket because you forgot to get milk.

Just attach a bike to the back of the van, mate does it and he goes all over the place! The Fecker... He's in England now at the festivals

Has just finished a tour of Ireland, we went to the Galway hurling feile this year in it, had a blast...

Very expensive though, you're looking at something around £20 grand mark for something decent.. though the best ones sit at around £40 grand plus... My mate basically did his up himself, and it suits his needs..

With the price so expensive probably best to chip in with a mate, share the van as its not going to be constant thing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2018, 11:23:42 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 02, 2018, 10:40:22 AM
Be a ballix if you had to drive somewhere while on your weekend break. Packing the whole kit up and shunting that big yoke around the ring of Kerry or up to the supermarket because you forgot to get milk.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Itchy

No offense lad but if your caravan is holding up traffic I've the God given right to blow it up.

thebigfella

I think once you buy a caravan you have given up on life rather than mid life crisis.

Dougal Maguire

I've been doing it for around 24 years since my kids were babies. Still doing it now they're grown up. Don't use it for our main holiday but take lots of weekends away in it and usually take a week down south in August. It's great craic. I'd be interested to know what you based your opinion on
Careful now