Ruth Dudley Edwards: a brain to be reckoned with

Started by Orior, January 03, 2019, 09:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: armaghniac on January 03, 2019, 02:04:58 PM
Michelle O'Neill, Mary Lou or even Arlene Foster have political views, but they also have to make some effort to put forward a plan to achieve their political objectives. The likes of RDE just snipes from the sideline, never putting forward solutions, only sneers. However, someone else sneering at her isn't really a step forward either.
+1 !
I'd honestly say RDE's readership is in single figures and,apart from her good self of course, nobody gives a damn one way or the other.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Main Street

Quote from: red hander on October 01, 2019, 05:39:01 PM
Quote from: Orior on October 01, 2019, 09:37:04 AM
Dudley Edwards at it again. These days the focus of her hate filled drivel appears to be John Finucane. In Monday's Belfast Telegraph she chastises John because of the company he keeps. That company is Conor Murphy, Gerry Kelly and Caral Ni Chuilin, who are all members of the political party of which John is a member.

Extract...

QuoteI'd love to believe that Sinn Fein are genuine about reconciliation, but they don't half make it difficult. Just look at last week and the meeting of Sinn Fein's North Belfast constituency members to select John Finucane as their candidate for the next general election to defeat the DUP's Nigel Dodds.

Mr Finucane is  even being tipped as a future Irish President. Clearly, Sinn Fein think he's very special.

I watched a video of the meeting, which began with Mr Finucane striding into the crowded room ahead of Conor Murphy, Gerry Kelly and Caral Ni Chuilin.

For someone who assures us he reaches out to unionists, craves equality for all and is hoping to win over the centre ground, his companions should have been a bit of an embarrassment.

Murphy was sentenced in 1982 to five years for possession of explosives and IRA membership; after a 1973 London bombing campaign, Kelly was sentenced to two life sentences, plus 20 years, and during a violent mass escape in 1983, shot a prison officer in the head and then went on the run; and Ni Chuilin was arrested in 1989 after trying to place a booby-trap bomb at an RUC station and was sentenced to eight years.

Now, we should be prepared to allow people to put their pasts behind them.

But when you've been involved in violent criminality, it's hardly unreasonable to expect from you some degree of contrition before you're welcomed into the fold.

I heard she was being sued for libel by the Finucanes over a Twitter post a while back.If she's done for that then it'll come out of the twisted oul hag's own bank account, not that of the papers that pay for her awful drivel. She really is an odious human being.
The Edwards tweet  in May this year "Like his father. An apologist for the IRA" looked to be a repeat of what she wrote in the Indo a few years back which the paper lost a court case about and had to pay out over €500,000 to the Finucane foundation.  She's even dumber than I had reckoned with.

red hander

She'll probably use the contents of the article in the Daily Gail as part of her defence to any libel. But, ironically, the Finucanes could also use it as evidence of obsessive, harassing behaviour against the family despite the fact she has been found to have committed defamation in the past. I really hope they take the old bastard for every penny she has and finally put her out of her misery.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Harris might have been sidelined, but RDE continues to produce crap.

Text deleted for being bollix.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

StPatsAbu

Wtf are we doing republishing her vile spew?

armaghniac

Quote from: StPatsAbu on May 21, 2021, 12:38:44 AM

When you are right, you are right.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: StPatsAbu on May 21, 2021, 12:38:44 AM

I can't even remember creating this thread.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

Can this hateful hoor get any lower?

I think you all need to be aware of the crap Dudley Edwards puts out and which is loved by loyalists, unionists and west brits.

QuoteAs much as any Pope, President Michael D Higgins believes himself infallible.
Published: 4 October 2021

Yet his recent behaviour has had an utterly toxic effect on relationships between nationalists and unionists in this centenary year. It has forced hidden hatreds into the open and delivered yet another probably fatal blow to United Irelanders.

As a furious Unionist friend – who has spent years seeking to assist north-south understanding – said to me on the phone at the beginning of the row: "That's what they think of us. We don't even exist."

Northern Irish people who had come to think that "unionists and nationalists can talk away their differences until a change of sovereignty becomes as easy and seamless as changing one's socks," said the commentator Owen Polley, had exposed themselves "to all kinds of nonsense about a 'new Ireland' where Britishness will be one of a range of identities that are respected and cherished".

For them, "Higgins' behaviour is a shock and a blow".

The artist and writer Brian John Spencer, whose years of trying to understand southern viewpoints and connect with them took him to every county on the island, was one of those: "Reconciliation and parity of esteem, as far as I can see, is dead. This episode has completely turned my view of the Republic of Ireland and all their traditions and norms upside down. I will not be the same sympathetic and curious person."

I have been around longer than Spencer, and I wasn't surprised. Nor was Polley: "For those of us who have been paying attention, it's no surprise that the Irish republic is as mired as ever in its foundational myths and hatreds. I'm what they hate: I'll notice when they stop and will let you know."

He recommended unionists keep listening to Michael D Higgins. He reveals that the "'new Ireland' is much like the old one, but smugger; it retains the same attitudes, even if its anti- unionist, anti-British prejudices are cloaked in condescension and bad poetry".

Although my background was broadly Catholic-nationalist, and my first 21 years were spent in Dublin, when in the 1970s I began to take a serious interest in the politics of Northern Ireland, it seemed to me blindingly obvious that the way to persuade unionists of the merits of united Ireland was not to try to terrorise them into it.

Although I hadn't yet come across the word "thrawn", I had learned enough from my reading of history and politics to grasp that Ulster Protestants had a tradition of dogged, stubborn resistance to bullies. It was mystifying to me that Irish nationalists not only paid no attention whatsoever to the warning from Edward Carson that "Ulster might be wooed by sympathetic understanding – she can never be coerced," but to varying degrees endorsed the opposite, self-defeating strategy.

It was Prime Minister James Craig who in talks in 1922 with Michael Collins quoted that warning, but although they signed a peace pact, and Collins was not stupid, his priority was to avoid a split in the IRA so he supported a brutal covert campaign against Northern Ireland, which entrenched sectarianism and hatred and began a century of needless suffering.

Protestant unionists became ever more obdurate, and Irish nationalists wallowed in self-pity and self-delusion.

The majority of southern Irish people have not bothered to get to know Northern Ireland or its people, though they don't like them – nationalist or unionist – and frequently betray latent Anglophobia. Their idea of a united Ireland is a re-branding with no changes to the Republic.

Higgins' bigotry has brought this into the open. The Irish Times journalist Fintan O'Toole addressed it bluntly. Speaking of the "fabulous Irish capacity for doublethink", or "cognitive dissonance", he reminded his readers of the 2019 exit poll which asked two key questions.

Asked how important the Irish language was to them on a scale of one to 10, 60% chose seven or above – yet 67% of those who could speak it, never did.

Similarly, 65% would vote in favour "if there was a referendum on a United Ireland tomorrow" – yet successive polls show that this support drops by around half if it would require higher taxes.

Let alone substantial changes to the Irish constitution.

The commentator Andrew Devine, from the Republic but of mixed roots, wrote of the reality that most nationalists have a "sneering and contemptuous attitude" to those of a British or Irish-British identity, who would be given no respect "in the kind of united Ireland marketed by Sinn Fein and the petit communist President who sits in Aras an Uachtarain."

Last Saturday, in The Guardian, which is pro-nationalist, that fine Irish best-selling novelist Colm Toibin answered the proposition that Brexit would lead to a united Ireland by dismissing the idea as "mystical blather".

Politicians were talking rubbish; "In this united Ireland of theirs, that will occur in their lifetimes, do they intend to foist the dysfunctional health system and the appalling housing crisis that exist in the Republic on the people of Northern Ireland? Do they want to import sectarian hatred and the politics of perpetual grievance from the north into the south?"

Higgins did unionists a favour. They can cease worrying about a border poll and focus their attention on sorting out the protocol.

J70

As always RDE ascribes the purest and noblest of intentions to the poor, put-upon unionist community, and the most malign, deceitful motives to the nationalist side.

seafoid

Unionism is trína chéile

1. Brexit is failing
2. The Shinners will capture the First Minister position
3. The DUP is in meltdown
4. London does not care
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

LeoMc

Quote from: J70 on October 05, 2021, 05:09:03 PM
As always RDE ascribes the purest and noblest of intentions to the poor, put-upon unionist community, and the most malign, deceitful motives to the nationalist side.
Both as one homogeneous bloc.
Unionism as represented by "commentator" Owen Polleu.