Businesses the have acted the cnut during the Coronavirus Outbreak

Started by Franko, March 25, 2020, 11:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 25, 2020, 03:49:37 PM
Quote from: square_ball on March 25, 2020, 03:24:43 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 25, 2020, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: five points on March 25, 2020, 12:11:34 PM
Worth noting that O'Neills were being absolutely hammered last week for ceasing sports goods production. Give these companies a chance. Everyone is trying to manage an unprecedented situation as best they can.

Rightly so to be honest, they couldn't wait to get rid of staff and they haven't needed the money in years truth be told.

Kieran Kennedy didn't wake up last week and decide on the spur of the moment to get rid of 750 staff. They'd a wage bill of £13m in 2018 perhaps it's even more now. That's a lot to sustain if you have nothing coming into the bank or an order book showing sweet FA.

Fair point, but you would imagine they'll be flying online with football orders, home training equipment and the likes. Just seemed like a very quick step, to a week later announce they could suddenly do medical stuff.

Wouldn't go so far as to label them cnuts...but yeah, they could have kept people on for a few weeks to see what would / could have happened.

Hopefully they can get the employment numbers back up in that area. I see they are doing an online sale at moment, anything to stimulate growth.

For Oneills it was like a tap turning off. The wife works there and over 80% of their work is sports related and it just stopped. Their lead times are at the longest 6 weeks for special make up clothes and 3 weeks for most other. So once the orders stopped they only had a couple of weeks work until there was nothing to do. Plus it was at their quietest time. Things usually take off around St Patrick's day and then their flat out until Christmas. So happened at a bad time as well unfortunately.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Art Mc Crory’s Sofa

ONeills making scrubs is pr bullshit. Hospitals need ventilators, masks, gloves and aprons. Not shiny new scrubs.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Art Mc Crory's Sofa on March 25, 2020, 06:06:11 PM
ONeills making scrubs is pr bullshit. Hospitals need ventilators, masks, gloves and aprons. Not shiny new scrubs.

Some people need to wise up. It might be good PR for O'Neills esp. after the way they were so quick to lay people off but you you haven't a clue when you say hospitals don't need shiny new scrubs. Hospitals need all those things you mentioned and scrubs are no exception. Same goes for all health care workers. Scrubs are needed as staff don't want to be wearing their regular uniforms and have to bring them home to wash. Having scrubs means they can change in the hospital and leave these behind so they can be washed and cleaned without the extra risk of wearing their own uniforms and having to bring them home to wash. In normal times most don't wear scrubs but these are vital now and so there is a shortage. If the hospital didn't need them why would they be letting O'Neills make them.

Dougal Maguire

So are they just making them for the good of their health or have they got orders from the heath trusts?
Careful now

Milltown Row2

It's very uncertain time for employees and employers at this time.

Some employers will be able to help some won't, my neighbour has lost her job, gone and her type of work won't be up and running for a while, financially her family will get through it, but thousands won't.

I'm lucky that we'll have her wages, and plenty of wine! But in all seriousness this is going to change everything till we get a vaccine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 25, 2020, 08:08:14 PM
So are they just making them for the good of their health or have they got orders from the heathy trusts?

Not to mention its one thing going from making tracksuits to making scrubs.
What part of the ONeills factory can be repurposed to make ventilators?!
Example given earlier that a vacuum cleaner manufacturer switched to making ventilators - at lest there's some sort of similarity. Air tight systems with pumps filters and tubes.

On a general note, nobody here has a clue what the majority of businesses are dealing with.
It's one thing saying to keep paying staff, if there's no money coming in there's no business and all the staff get laid off
Hasta la victoria siempre

Solo_run

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 25, 2020, 09:55:03 PM
So are they just making them for the good of their health or have they got orders from the heathy trusts?

Example given earlier that a vacuum cleaner manufacturer switched to making ventilators - at lest there's some sort of similarity. Air tight systems with pumps filters and tubes.

On a general note, nobody here has a clue what the majority of businesses are dealing with.
It's one thing saying to keep paying staff, if there's no money coming in there's no business and all the staff get laid off

If it is a nightmare for us then it is a nightmare for them. No company wants to fail. However, there are companies out there that will sacrafice staff for money.

grounded

Quote from: Solo_run on March 25, 2020, 10:01:31 PM

If it is a nightmare for us then it is a nightmare for them. No company wants to fail. However, there are companies out there that will sacrafice staff for money.

True. However, you would be suprised to know how many small businesses are just getting by week to week as opposed to longer term plans.
       In many cases they are one bad month away from closing. The 80% employment retention scheme in the uk and its equivalent in Ireland was a life/job saver at least until this thing ends(goodness knows when that will be).  That along with the Grants and other incentives will help things tick over. But i've a feeling we are just kicking the can down the road a little further. 
       Nobody wants to see their business fail, bit i've an awful bad feeling that once this thing ends and any governemnt support gets turned off then huge numbers of small and medium businesses are going to hit the wall.

five points

Excellent point. Even the likes of Sports Direct and Wetherspoons will have colossal monthly rents and loan repayments. Only the luckiest of businesses can survive a few months with no revenues coming in. Paying staff for a few weeks isn't worth a damn to anyone if the same staff lose their jobs when the crisis is over.

And the idea of O'Neills switching from sewing fabrics to assembling medical devices is laughable.

Mikhail Prokhorov

imo any business that can't survive 2 months esp with government help is not being properly managed. All companies should have some kind of disaster fund for times like this, it is unprecedented yes but not unthinkable. i guarantee many of them will use this situation to fundamentally change the way they operate but not for their workers benefit that's for sure  :(

five points

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on March 26, 2020, 01:31:17 PM
imo any business that can't survive 2 months esp with government help is not being properly managed. All companies should have some kind of disaster fund for times like this, it is unprecedented yes but not unthinkable. i guarantee many of them will use this situation to fundamentally change the way they operate but not for their workers benefit that's for sure  :(

Shut them all down then and see what happens the job numbers...

Wee Roddy

Are you serious? Have you any idea what margins companies work off just to get contracts?
Closing anything non essential is the only way to stop the spread of this virus. Just don't expect your job to still be there when you return.

GetOverTheBar

I would imagine this will change the way everyone goes about spending what excess finances they have from here on. I know I wasn't exactly in great shape during the last recession and caught myself on savings wise thereafter (even though I was not put out of work by it I certainly 'lost' some years).

Milltown Row2

This thread needs to recognise the business that have stood by their employees also, acted the cnut or were brilliant during the outbreak (title)

Plenty of business that have (on the short term) acted superbly during the outbreak and layoff's

Even the basic of giving their employees the guarantee of employment when its over added with the government help of 80% of their basic, that would be a start

Some are paying the extra 20% to ensure their staff is not losing out

Allowing staff to work from home on full pay

Allowing flexibility of work from home or social distancing in work for key workers

I don't know what I'll get, but I hope I've a job and a business left to go back to in the next few months

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea