23. Ronan Wallace (Westmeath)

24. Brendan Rodger's (Derry)

25. Gareth McKinless (Derry)

26. Shane McGuigan (Derry)

27. Sean Powter (Cork)

28. Conor McCluskey (Derry)

29. John Heslin (Westmeath)

30. Daniel Flynn (Kildare)

Thoughts? Some distinct omissions there. Players and counties!  ::)

Armagh18

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=31042.0

Someone said in original thread that it was done last year after Tyrone/Donegal etc where out. Would definitely have a few Tyronies on the list myself unfortunately.

RedHand88

Didn't realise there was a post already, mods can lock sorry.

rosnarun

Team pretty much picked from semifinal on with a few big names to show he was awake for the rest of the year.
I would have had sean kelly much further up as overall he probably was galways best player last year,
likewise on last years form Comer should be nowhere near that team.
And of course a shocking lack of mayo players league finalist and put out of the championship by champions Kerry , deserves more than just Leeroy , but  i Maybe biased
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

toby47

Michael Murphy & Darren McCurry would be two obvious misses for me?

Armagh18

Quote from: toby47 on October 21, 2022, 10:49:12 AM
From what I saw of Murphy this year he's well outside the top 30 at this stage. McCurry and a few other Tyronies should be there

Armagh18

Quote from: rosnarun on October 21, 2022, 10:43:59 AM
Team pretty much picked from semifinal on with a few big names to show he was awake for the rest of the year.
I would have had sean kelly much further up as overall he probably was galways best player last year,
And of course a shocking lack of mayo players league finalist and put out of the championship by champions Kerry , deserves more than just Leeroy , but  i Maybe biased
Comer's semi final was always gonna get him included on the likes of this and talked about for all stars, no matter how quiet he was in other games. Mayo were awful last year. 

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 21, 2022, 12:26:12 PM
Comer's semi final was always gonna get him included on the likes of this and talked about for all stars, no matter how quiet he was in other games. Mayo were awful last year.

Comer was man of the match against Mayo and had great games against Armagh and Roscommon kicking 3 points from play in both games. Anyone who watched Galway will tell you he was one of the best performers in the lead up to the final.

Maybe he means in 2021 although Comer has been riddled with injuries the last few years and not been fully fit since 2018 when funnily enough he had an outstanding year.

If you were picking the top 30 players in the country the only other Mayo player you'd have in is Durcan. Ruane was very poor the last 12 months including the 2021 final; O'Donoghue & Conroy will probably be in it 12 months down the line.

galwayman

Comer was extremely poor in the final this year. Apart from that game - he was excellent all year.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on October 21, 2022, 01:16:36 PM
Comer was extremely poor in the final this year. Apart from that game - he was excellent all year.
Out of the 12 forwards that started the final, Comer was the top scorer from play in the championship before throw in. Didn't have the performance he wanted in the final that is for sure, but he was still the forward with the best return from play at the end of the match despite not scoring.
Awarded MOTM against Mayo in crucial Connacht Q final, awarded MOTM against Derry in the semi-final.

Anyone who thinks he was poor this year just wasn't watching the games or has some crazy standard that makes no sense.

JimStynes

Quote from: toby47 on October 21, 2022, 10:49:12 AM

Murphy looked done at times this year. What a player and leader he has been over the years though. I think it's a decent list. Definitely some players I'd swap about and maybe the odd one to come in but you're never going to please everyone.

seafoid

Using the most recent  performances to judge the best players is a joke.
Tyrone could come storming out of Ulster next year and win the all Ireland.
Dublin could also do it.
Backward looking models all have the same problem.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Quote from: galwayman on October 21, 2022, 01:16:36 PM

Kerry had a strong focus to curb the influence of Comer, the type of influence that Rory Gallagher did nothing about in the semi final.  It gave more room to Shane Walsh to excel kicking some long distance scores, those scores kept Galway in the final while another good performance by Comer would have won the All Ireland final.

armaghniac

With 30 players then you would expect some good players from less good teams to get in, Sam Mulroy from Louth for instance.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on October 22, 2022, 01:11:05 PM
With 30 players then you would expect some good players from less good teams to get in, Sam Mulroy from Louth for instance.
It looks like it was a joint effort between Spillane and prominent journalist Mr Phil Space.he
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU