Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Onthe40 on June 09, 2023, 10:09:04 AM
Killyman-Brocagh-Derrytresk youth were all amalgamated under Naomh Padraig up to a few years ago
think they played mostly grade 3
Derrytresk broke away and stood on their own for a few years, they had some excellent youth teams..won something I think a few years back
then amalgamated with Derrylaughan this year under Doiri Oga banner - playing grade2 across all ages..
U16s seem to be doing well in grade 2

serious number of clubs in that area
Coalisland, Clonoe, Derrylaughan, Derrytresk, Brackaville, Stewartstown, Killyman, Brocagh
Edendork neighbours Brackaville, think a few lads transfer over for u20s etc
Moy is only a few miles other side of tamnamore roundabout
Dungannon beside Edendork

That's deadly amount of clubs in a small area.  Be hard, with a declining population, to keep them all going without a few clubs joining together.

trailer

Quote from: 03,05,08 on June 08, 2023, 12:09:25 PM
Quote from: square_ball on June 08, 2023, 10:02:46 AM
I haven't seen 30 points scored by one team in an adult fixture in Tyrone in a long time.

Game was blown up early apparently, sad to see it, I remember not to long ago Killyman had some serious footballers.

They were Div 1 for a year. Got a tanking but they had a good team that won and Intermediate championship (although I think they finished bottom or 2nd bottom in the league that year) Sad to see but some clubs are struggling. Even big clubs like Coalisland and Dungannon don't have the same depth that they once had at underage.
Hopefully Killyman can get through it and keep going to allow another crop of youth to come through. Once a clubs fold they rarely come back.

GaaGPT

Who do we fancy tonight? Gortin or Naomh Eoghan. Gortin with home advantage although without Sean Og but still think they have enough to win

square_ball

Yeah they played Moortown in the championship final that year. A win meant they were promoted and a loss meant relegation. It was definitely a golden era for the club at that time winning Junior and Intermediate within a short time of each other.

A lot of the smaller clubs are suffering numbers wise at youth level you can see that at u8/u10 go game blitzes. Even at older age groups where teams are playing 11 a side. I think in 15-20 years the landscape of clubs in the county will change and there will be more amalgamations and mergers like Dregish and Newtownstewart have done recently.

Jerome

Quote from: square_ball on June 09, 2023, 11:47:13 AM
Yeah they played Moortown in the championship final that year. A win meant they were promoted and a loss meant relegation. It was definitely a golden era for the club at that time winning Junior and Intermediate within a short time of each other.

A lot of the smaller clubs are suffering numbers wise at youth level you can see that at u8/u10 go game blitzes. Even at older age groups where teams are playing 11 a side. I think in 15-20 years the landscape of clubs in the county will change and there will be more amalgamations and mergers like Dregish and Newtownstewart have done recently.

There could be a new GAA team created in Castlecaulfield

skeog

Dregish brought very little to the table and very few are still involved playing.The cream headed to Healy Park to be small fish in a big pond.

TabClear

I think you are right on this. Its really hard to keep youth going when you have maybe 10 kids at training, even if you can herd 15 for the matches. Its more enjoyable for the kids as well to train in decent numbers which is why the youth amalgamations work well. However I would wonder how it works as you move up the age groups and the clubs "split" again as to whether the deemed weaker clubs lose players (say those with family ties) to the stronger club when you get to minor/senior level. If kids have trained together for years my guess is that is more likely that better player may want to move.

Onthe40

Quote from: Jerome on June 09, 2023, 11:57:41 AM

There could be a new GAA team created in Castlecaulfield

Lol.. we might have to start the Donaghmore North-Donaghmore South conversation just like with the Dubs :) such is their growing domination

Jerome

Loughmacorys name will be on the O'Neill cup before Donaghmores.

rrhf

I think Donaghmore name is already on it fellas, albeit it's a long time ago... I agree though with the points.  Loughmacrory are a serious seasoned group, well coached and full of football, as also are, Errigal, Dromore, Dungannon, Carmen, Killyclogher, Trillick, Ardboe, Omagh and Coalisland who would be on everyones lips to win the thing. Don't see that changing anytime soon.

Walter White

Quote from: Jerome on June 09, 2023, 01:47:02 PM

I would agree. One of the best drilled teams in the county, with Meenagh's stamp still all over them (is he still involved now that he has the full Derry gig?).

They play the same way as Derry and are extremely fit, hard hitting, hard working and organised. If you fall behind them, it's almost impossible to break down their system and regain control. Their keeper is also an important piece of the puzzle, adding scores as well as joining kick outs like Morgan et all do at county level.

Donaghmore have numbers and potential, and will be worth watching for the next few years, but a number of teams (Carrickmore, LMC & Errigal) are a few years ahead whilst still being young. Then you have the serial championship contenders like Fianna, Dromore, Trillick, Omagh, KC and the Clarkes and the Tyrone league/championship is as predictable as ever.

From what I have seen so far this year, along with last year, there has been a huge increase in the professionalism in the club game in Tyrone, and standards are higher than I ever remember. Some of the young players in the league are fantastic to watch (McElhom, Cassidy, McGarrity).

rrhf

I'd agree. Haven't been to as many games as I would like but the quality is unreal. Club football genuinely is Tyrone is a jewel.  The county will benefit from all the hard work as well, son next 10 years there should be great.

breakingball78

I'll have more of what this guys having lol.

superstar_

Loughmacrory had two players make their senior debuts in the first three games, Donaghmore had six. That would suggest that Donaghmore are closer to that O'Neill cup.

Aaron Boone

This board tends towards Errigal for Championship predictions, but Donaghmore are certainly everyone's tip for the future.