Dogs

Started by pearses, October 25, 2007, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Can certainly tell who the non-dog lovers are on this thread lol.

Can someone tell me what a cat brings to the table? Other than catching mice I can't see the attraction of owning one. Especially if you're a man!

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on June 10, 2015, 02:03:32 PM
Can someone tell me what a cat brings to the table?

Dead birds.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Captain Obvious

Quote from: general_lee on June 10, 2015, 02:03:32 PM
Can certainly tell who the non-dog lovers are on this thread lol.

Can someone tell me what a cat brings to the table? Other than catching mice I can't see the attraction of owning one. Especially if you're a man!

Don't need to walk a cat, cats don't bark at every thing,cheaper to feed.

ziggysego

I've this wee dog now over a year. She's 4 and I got her from an animal rescue centre in Tyrone - Grovehill. She's a crossbreed Jack Russell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B56LgOGIAJA
Testing Accessibility

moysider

Quote from: laoislad on June 10, 2015, 08:08:39 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 10, 2015, 12:17:09 AM
Quote from: laoislad on June 09, 2015, 11:08:38 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 18, 2014, 05:04:45 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 18, 2014, 11:36:37 AM
Is it wrong to think a dog can manage on his own during the day in a big back garden?

Looked over on boards and theres a lot of people who think dogs are people and should be treated as such. I'm a farmer, a dog is an animal, treat it well and keep it healthy but at the end of the day its a pet not the other way around
100%. My boss is horrified that my dog sleeps outside in a kennel  ::)
Would have to agree with you. We don't have any pets but I wouldn't let one in the house if we did anyway. Might let a dog as far as inside the back door but I wouldn't let a cat roam around the house.

My wife is a Veterinarian and sometimes she would bring home an abandoned kitten that someone had left into her practice to look after it for a night or two. Had to put my foot down though as I knew eventually she would want to keep one of the little fcukers.

Really?! You re married to somebody that must love animals if she s a vet. Yet she is not allowed keep one at home because you don t like 'the little f**kers'! She either shouldn t be a vet or should have married somebody else! ;D ;D. Seriously though you re coming across as a bit of a bully there. 'putting the foot down' is not something I like to hear.
Well she was more or less qualified as a Vet when I met her,I could hardly ask her to give it up for me!

Btw I never said I don't like animals. I said I don't like cats. They are evil horrible little creatures and . If you think that makes me a bully then so be it.
I'm anything but a bully FYI,but maybe my choice of words were wrong in the post.

If she wants to bring home a puppy to look after and keep she can.It would stay outside though.

You obviously have strong negative opinions about cats! A lot of people love cats. It s one of those things. People that like sport don t understand people that don t and vice versa and that s fine as well.

You claim that you are not a bully but go  ' there was no way we were having one as a pet, and I just knew eventually she would want to keep one.'

And the bit about the puppy makes you more of a bully ffs.

If you were married to a librarian would you ban her from bringing books home and reading? Chill out. Let the girl have cats and dogs if she wants.

Btw, I m not being too serious but I m not sure about you?? There is no way that you should have an issue with your wife having dogs or cats in her home if she wants to do that.

macdanger2

Stick to yer guns LL, no pets inside!!!!  ;D

ardal

The pets inside the house thing all depends on where you were brought up.
City gimps will obviously allow them inside and treat them as part of the furniture; as they destroy it.
People with a rural background will consider all animals as lifestock; thus they stay outside.

My dogs have never been in the house.

PS Also hate cats; they are the sperm of satin

tbrick18

Quote from: ardal on June 11, 2015, 09:19:02 AM
City gimps will obviously allow them inside and treat them as part of the furniture; as they destroy it.
People with a rural background will consider all animals as lifestock; thus they stay outside.

+1
I'd add a bit to that in that some people see dogs/cats almost like children and treat them that way.
That is just weird.
Oh, and have you ever visited the home of someone who keeps a dog/cat in the house? The place usually stinks of animal or is covered in dog hair.
My dog lives outside, he has a kennel and his own cordoned off garden area. He only seems to get upset when the kids are playing in the remainder of the garden and he wants out to join in the craic.
Kids let him out everyone is happy and he quite happily trods back in when I call him. He used to try to come into the house, but now knows he's not allowed and doesnt try.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zulu

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 11, 2015, 02:35:13 PM

+1
I'd add a bit to that in that some people see dogs/cats almost like children and treat them that way.
That is just weird.
Oh, and have you ever visited the home of someone who keeps a dog/cat in the house? The place usually stinks of animal or is covered in dog hair.
My dog lives outside, he has a kennel and his own cordoned off garden area. He only seems to get upset when the kids are playing in the remainder of the garden and he wants out to join in the craic.
Kids let him out everyone is happy and he quite happily trods back in when I call him. He used to try to come into the house, but now knows he's not allowed and doesnt try.

Really? I think it's weird to not treat them like a family member. I find it incredibly odd that people get dogs and then leave them outside all the time, sure that's just forking out money for something that needs to be feed everyday and moves around in your back garden while you watch TV! Why would you bother getting a dog if you don't interact with it on a consistent basis?

I've never found a house with a dog in it to notably smell and I'd imagine any house with kids or anyone living in it will smell to some degree anyway. As long as an owner isn't cruel to their dog I guess it's up to them whether they leave them in the house or not but I certainly wouldn't get a dog and not treat them as a family member. They're usually better company that most family members :D

moysider

I ve a rural background and I wouldn t bother with a dog if it was to be outside.

When I was young my parents would discourage the farm dogs from being in the house and my mother especially would be shooing them out. But they were hardy cattle dogs and wouldn t be the cleanest from being in the fields and yards.

Funny thing is when my mother was widowed and living on her own she used to love to have one of my labs stay with her for company and often used to keep it overnight.

Hardy

It's a funny old world. A few weeks back we had people foaming at the mouth, wanting to exclude selected categories of human beings from the definition of a family. Now we have people wanting to include selected categories of animals in the definition of a family.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hardy on June 11, 2015, 07:48:03 PM
It's a funny old world. A few weeks back we had people foaming at the mouth, wanting to exclude selected categories of human beings from the definition of a family. Now we have people wanting to include selected categories of animals in the definition of a family.

And what harm will that do?