Things to do in the Limerick area

Started by Smokin Joe, April 29, 2008, 05:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Don't laugh.........

I have a mate (and his missus) from Scotland who is coming over for the Irish Open at Adare in a couple of weeks.

He is going to the golf on Friday, and then has Saturday and Sunday morning free before his flight home from Shannon to Prestwick.

Any recommendations for what he should see / do on Saturday / Saturday night.

Yes I Would

Wear a bullet proof vest!! Better safe than sorry!!

the Deel Rover

jesus thats a tough one smoking he could go to galway for the  two nights not too far from shannon airport ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

thebandit

AZOffaly

Depends what he's into. If he's here for the open will he not be at golf on Saturday ?

Limerick is grand to go out in in the evening, and there's a few nice restaurants, but you can't go wrong with a trip to Bunratty and either Gallaghers or the Creamery to eat in.

If he likes old history and stuff, there's King John's Castle in Limerick, and Bunratty Castle as well. Adare is a lovely little village itself, and there'd be a bit of a buzz down there that weekend. There might be horse racing in Limerick around that weekend as well.

As I said, it depends what he's into really, but you can easily kill (no pun intended) a few days around Limerick now.

Hardy

You shouldn't believe everything (anything, really) the media tell you. Limerick is a fine city. I lived there for 11 years and I'd feel safer walking in Limerick at night than in Cork where I live near now.

Things to do - depends what they're into and I'm a long time out of it now, so not au fait with the night life and restaurants anymore, but Souths is as good a pub as you'll find anywhere. There's also Willie Sexton's, The Lock, Nancy Blakes. Dolan's warehouse is probably the top music venue. For a bit of history/folklore/culture - King John's Castle, The Hunt Museum, St. Mary's Cathedral, Bunratty Castle and Folk Park out the road to Shannon. Fishing on the Shannon at Castleconnell. Walking - from the City to the University along the river - about a 3-mile walk. Woodland walks at Clare Glens near Newport and Cratloe Wood. University Concert Hall (best theatre in the country) and Belltable Arts Centre for theatre and concerts, though I have no idea what's on.

(I've just seen I'm duplicating AZ to an extent, but anyway ...)

AZOffaly

Actually, good call Hardy, if he's here from Scotland he might have an interest in Rugby, and therefore a few pints in Willie Sexton's, The Corner Flag or any of the other rugby pubs around town would be a good craic for him to do as well.

Smokin Joe

Accommodation has already been booked so Galway and Cork is probably out of the question at this stage.

Thanks for the replies.

I have sent him details of this thread, so he is reading it.

Smokin Joe

Next questions from him:

Quoteany suitable eating establishments on the rd from shannon apt to limerick?as we get in at 7.30 and will prob not have eaten pre flight, and

some googling has led me to think that the locke and dolans are the places to go for a bit of irish hospitality and the milk market is a good place to go on the sat morning for a browse.

the question being is my research well thought out or full of holes

Hurler on the Bitch

Okay Okay .. all this shite about stab city... not as bad as the feuding in Ballymurphy... ok .. if yer in the county go to Kilmallock on a Sunday night. Great drinking in the main street . former Limerick midfielder Mike Houlihan has a pub in the street and it's jumping every night ... if ye want tae talk hoirling - away ye go... ps - I was in Tesco anocht agus ar an Polish aisle there was a jar of "Shredded Beef Tripe in Pickled Brine" - looked like something our dog did when he had tapeworm  ... nearly barfed in the shop.... apologies if this is an inappropriate thread for this but I had to get it off my chest.. 

youbetterbelieveit

Yes have to agree with AZ and Hardy, Limerick is a fine city and has some very good pubs to visit during a weekend. The main one's i visit when home would be Nancy's, Clohessy's (Peter Clohessy's pub former irish prop) and the Locke. If you want nightclubs, the milk market area is the place to go.
Food wise I would recommend a few nice restaurants down around beside clohessy's. names escape me.

AZOffaly

If they are on the road from Shannon to Limerick, they could do a hell of a lot worse than stop off in Gallaghers or the Creamery in Bunratty and have a nice dinner. They're both restaurants though, not a café or a fast food type place, so it would be a proper meal. If they don't have time for that, they could always go and check in to their hotel, and if it's in the city, you could go to Luigi Malone's, Milanos, Jasmine Palace, Texas Steak house or a few other nice restaurants.

mannix

Good town,lots of bars and restaurants but you should keep your wits about you the same as in any city or town.
O'Connell st in dublin is not exactly heaven at nighttime.

Smokin Joe

I have been asked to pass on their thanks for your help, with one last question.

Where is the Creamery bar in relation to the N18 when travelling from Shannon airport to Limerick?

AZOffaly

The Creamery is directly opposite Bunratty Castle. As you come in from Shannon you exit the dual carraigeway for Bunratty, and follow the signs for the castle. As you come to it, the Castle will be on your left, and there is an area across from the Castle where you can park etc. The Creamery is in there. Gallaghers is just across the road a bit. If they hit Bunratty, all restaurants there are within 2 minutes walk.

edit. This is an image from Google Earth I added a few tags to.