Price of home heating oil

Started by Smokin Joe, April 22, 2008, 09:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Where the feck will this price stop at?

Just rang 2 suppliers, and for a full fill they were quoting me 54.6p and 55.7p per litre, and for a half fill it was more than 58ppl.

It was 35ppl about 6 months ago.

Oil will soon become unaffordable, though I would imagine that it has already reached this stage for some people.

mannix

Buy another sweater.Seriously though, the world seems to be in such turmoil that its hard to know where its headed.
A back boiler and cut down a tree is the cheapest way out but its too time consuming for most people today.Expect oil to get dearer and prepare for it is what am doing.

gawa316

Paid £260 the other day for 450litres, I paid £205 for the same in January. It's feckin balls

Onion Bag

It is a disaster, I have a mate who is in the oil business, and he reckons it is going to continue to climb, So wrap up warm
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Candyman

Correct!!! I know a fella who works in the industry and all the companies are stocking up on it because the price is soaring everyday.... bet the feckers charge a mad amount next month as it rises even though they are buying it that little bit cheaper today!!!!!

gawa316

I'm sersiously thinking about installing a wood pellet boiler. Anyone got one?

Bensars

How much will the boiler cost?
A biomass boiler that would heat a 5 house or a commercial unit up to 3/4000 sq ft would cost approximately £3,890 with a 30% grant for domestic use and a 4 year interest free loan for commercial use.

http://www.treco.co.uk/products/biomass-boilers/

Theres a lot of oil in 4 grand

T Fearon

Getting it to-day for 52p a litre... from a prod as well ;D

Onion Bag

Quote from: Bensars on April 22, 2008, 10:45:50 AM

How much will the boiler cost?
A biomass boiler that would heat a 5 house or a commercial unit up to 3/4000 sq ft would cost approximately £3,890 with a 30% grant for domestic use and a 4 year interest free loan for commercial use.

http://www.treco.co.uk/products/biomass-boilers/

Aye but there is a grant you can get for it, There is a man Mc Namee up in Crossmaglen who deals with them

Theres a lot of oil in 4 grand
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Bensars

I hear a  few people talking about these. Just a few questions,

1. Does anyone have one fitted or know someone who has one.
2. How much are the pellets over the course of the winter for example ? ( I realise costs will vary )
3. Do you need much storage space for these pellets

Or someone with a working knowledge, what other options are available ?

Hardy

I heard there's only one pellet supplier in the country. I don't fancy that setup, if it's true.

ludermor

there is one main crowd in fermanagh that supply pellets and they ran out of pellets last year, so your fucked! There are a few new suppliers coming on board but they seem to have a nice little arrangment between them and now th eprice of pellets are going up when you would think with the extra business the opposite would be happening. A lot of these alternative heating sourses have so many hidden costs that will cripple you in the long run ( the geo thermal system is a joke, 25k to install and approx 1000-1500/year to run)

magpie seanie

Just did a bit of surfing on the Sunstainable Energy Ireland website (http://www.sei.ie/index.asp) and there seems to be quite a lot of info on it.

mannix

Looking at the geothermal thing myself but unsure as of yet.They say it will repay its cost in 8 years but only last for 20.It may seem like a long time but jesus the last 20 went by fairly fast.
A solid fuel fire with backboiler will likely be one thing i will go for,trees are plentiful and use electric for cooking.

blast05

QuoteA solid fuel fire with backboiler will likely be one thing i will go for,trees are plentiful and use electric for cooking.

Indeed - much better still to go with a stove. Open fire means about 80% of heat gone up the chimney, stove means about 80% dispersed through the house.
Although don't make the fcuk up i made with mine ..... i have a very large double sided stove (about 15 Kw heat output at full felt). Thought i could get sidepanels as alternative to back boilers and plumbed for the same. Nearly brought me to tears when i realised i got this wrong - double sided stove would not support heating of water  .... i would have got hot water for up to 20 rads which along with open plan area being heated by stove would have mean't the stove going full whack would have heated all of a house that is close to 3,000 sq ft (could still have got this with a single sided stove of similar dimensions but had a double sided fireplace). Lighting it up at ~3pm requires approx €6 to €8 of fuel per day.