What next? Mass to go, from Centra?

Started by T Fearon, February 26, 2010, 12:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

TacadoirArdMhacha

Fairly standard for morning masses. If you make an effort to include the portion of the population who actually work, of course you'll increase attendances.

Fr Toman in the QUB chaplaincy does something similar - 8 30am mass each morning during lent which he guarantees will be over by 8 50am to ensure students and staff can be at the lectures / desks by 9.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

full back

Excellent idea which should be adopted by all parishes for all masses.

People are giving off about Danny Murphy increasing prices for Ulster matches when a recession is on etc etc etc. but at least in this case something is being done about the attendance drop.

Hopefully priests start to realise attendances are dropping for a number of reasons & if a 15 min mass is the solution to getting numbers up then why not try it.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Whats wrong with a quick mass, years ago in the '90's we used have a priest in town that we called Fr.Speedy, he always had a huge flock of teenagers and young adults at his masses, better than them not going at all (from a Church point of view). We had another popular priest everyone called Fr.Trendy who had a black car with a reg number 666, funny as f**k  :D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

johnneycool

'Could you not watch one hour with me?'

matthew 26:40

T Fearon

I think a good mass should, like a football game, half a set allotted duration, proper readings by laity, elongated Gospel followed at all times by the priest's sermon, a few minuts silence for reflection after communion, and proper entrance and ending hymns. Anything less than half an hour is frivolous, in my opinion. At the same time, the long winded Midnight Masses at Xmas and Easter (especially all that lighting fires carry on at Easter ) get on my nerves as well.

Rois

Tony, did you not read it, it isn't Sunday mass, it's the daily mass during lent.  I'd say you wouldn't be as keen on 45 minute masses every morning before work.

I used to go to mass every morning in Lent celebrated by Bishop Lagan and they were definately over in under 20 minutes. 

ziggysego

I enjoy Mass with Bishop Lagan, very good.

I reckons I'm older than I am. When I was 20, he thought I was 30. I wasn't about that about that one.
Testing Accessibility

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

How long is service/mass in the Church of Ireland, anyone know?

Olly

I think this is a stupid story. More people go to Mass during Lent anyway. And these Masses tend to be short and sweet anyway during Lent.

I used to go to Mass during Lent every day. It lasted 13-15 minutes. He didn't do a sermon or Homily and didn't do any singing or chanting. It was a great experience and you had time to digest the philosophical reading without your mind wandering. There was one day when he wasn't there and another priest said the Lenten mass for one day. He took 25 minutes. He was getting some dirty looks from the congregation when they went up for communion. People were rushing to get to work and because they were now 10 minutes behind schedule there was mayhem outside with people pushing into each other getting out of the door.

Loads of people tripped and you could hear hips being broke all over the place by the cracks as old men and women banged into each other. Then there was a free for all in the car park as every car tried to get out first. It ended up with 2 cars overturned and one on fire. The other priest came back the next day.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Olly on February 26, 2010, 02:39:23 PM
I think this is a stupid story. More people go to Mass during Lent anyway. And these Masses tend to be short and sweet anyway during Lent.

I used to go to Mass during Lent every day. It lasted 13-15 minutes. He didn't do a sermon or Homily and didn't do any singing or chanting. It was a great experience and you had time to digest the philosophical reading without your mind wandering. There was one day when he wasn't there and another priest said the Lenten mass for one day. He took 25 minutes. He was getting some dirty looks from the congregation when they went up for communion. People were rushing to get to work and because they were now 10 minutes behind schedule there was mayhem outside with people pushing into each other getting out of the door.

Loads of people tripped and you could hear hips being broke all over the place by the cracks as old men and women banged into each other. Then there was a free for all in the car park as every car tried to get out first. It ended up with 2 cars overturned and one on fire. The other priest came back the next day.

:D ROFL

longrunsthefox

Going looking a 15 Mass would indicate the person doesn't want to be there at all. So... me? I  just don't go... which I suggest is more honest.

Paul Mc Graths Da

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 26, 2010, 02:44:25 PM
Going looking a 15 Mass would indicate the person doesn't want to be there at all. So... me? I  just don't go... which I suggest is more honest.

Nail.... on.... Head