Laois Team Selected For 2007 Leinster Hurling Final

Started by Bud Wiser, December 15, 2006, 11:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Well there I was on the old board slamming Laois for making hurling the poor relation of the county and then last week I picks up the Leinster Express (the paper, not the train) to read all about the new plans for hurling.

It is the most eniouraging piece I have read in years, mainly because it is for once not about what they are going to do, but are doing.  Basicly it is a three year plan.  I think the used the Nicky English idea and scouted for around forty players and then they interviewed them as to what commitment they were prepared top give.  (Apparantly all or nothing was the requirement)

Next step was to whittle them down to about 35 of a panel and set out a training schedule that involves six nights a week.  Weights, Diets, Body Building, psychology and three practial games per week.   A backroom team that has everything from a water carrier to sports scientists and all that goes with it as well and the program is already underway.

Training six nights a week and playing three games a week?

Anyway, we can't be blamed for not trying and I am glad to see that Ballinakill have four or five reps on the panel.

Best of luck to all of them and I am sure we will make the Leinster Final this year.

AZOffaly

Jaysus I hope not.

Ah sure we can rely on ye to start beating each other before May, and Offaly will have a handy one :)

Bud Wiser

Funny enough, or not so funny depending on which way you look at it, as far as I can remember there are not that many from Castletown/Clonad/Ballinasloe Horse Fair on the selection.

That is probably because very few of them will actually be on this years senior panel but are going through "The Academy" !!!!!!

Ye produced one good hurler this year, Joe Bergin(?) and we produced another, James Young.  Why in the name of jaysus we cant produce at least half a crop is what worries me.  I was looking at the result of the Colleges SH League Final last night and of course no guessing that Kieran's College, the production line for the Cats won it by seven points.

I like what I am hearing in Laois though but the boys in Ballinakill were not happy campers when I asked them on Saturday saying that it was going to be the ruination of clubs.  I complain about them not getting on the panel, they complain about them being on it,  Laois as usual.

youbetterbelieveit

Good to see we need the likes of Laois, Dublin and Antrim, and you could also include Offaly and Limerick in that too, to be more competitive.

Bud Wiser

]img=http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7584/hurling2520warriorri4.jpg]

Test to see can I post pic of Camross Player

tayto

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on December 15, 2006, 11:36:49 AM
Good to see we need the likes of Laois, Dublin and Antrim, and you could also include Offaly and Limerick in that too, to be more competitive.

And wexford.

Sound good Bud, Hope it can pay off for Laois. Thats some serious dedication, training six nights a week with three matches sounds way too much if you ask me, will their clubs see these guys at all?

haze

Budwiser, I read the same article on the Leinster express and yes it is very encouraging but knowhere did it say they are playing three games a week. One of the players on the panel from my club says things are going really well, and that they are training hard 5 times a week.

the most positive aspect is that its not a quick fix solution and that the plan is long term. As for Laois producing James Young last year, he has been our most consistent hurler for almost 4 years now.

As for beating Offaly, i wouldnt put any money on it yet. Too much of a gap to be bridged in one year.

Bud Wiser

As for Laois producing James Young last year, he has been our most consistent hurler for almost 4 years now.

What I meant was that he was All-Star material this year along with Bergin and it is the first year that we had a player of that calibre since Pat Critchley or Mag's Walsh.  He was joint third highest scorer and I thought he might get the award - fecking Corkonians/Peoples Republic again of course.

Gnevin

I think the Laois team have more chance watchin the leinster final from the stand than playing in it if their last few years are anything to go by
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bud Wiser

"]I think the Laois team have more chance watchin the leinster final from the stand than playing in it if their last few years are anything to go by "

Well the one thing we have going for us is that we are not depending on a thick like you to get us through to a Leinster Final, or any other smart arse who are from one code counties.  At least Wexford and Laois and Ofally produce football and hurling teams.

Here is the full article from the Leinster Express.  When you or anyone like you can make that commitment then by all means come back with smart arse comments;

Laois hurlers take the initiative
THE first steps have been taken on the road to establishing a senior hurling squad in Laois that can realistically compete at inter-county level in the league and championship. The development project is now up and running and has already enjoyed a very positive response from the players.
The Laois Senior Hurling Development Squad Initiative is a three-year plan that involves working with a selected 30-man squad with an average age of 22 who will commit to undertake a demanding programme of fitness and skills training that will establish them as the core of the Laois Senior Hurling panel over the next three years.
Following an intensive trawl of players in the county, contact was made by the steering committee, through the club secretaries, with players identified as possible squad members. 36 hopefuls were interviewed on November 11 and 12. Five others who expressed interest could not attend for reasons that were deemed to be acceptable.
A week later the programme began in earnest with a trial game in Errill on Sunday 19th. The first practical training session took place in Clonad on the Wednesday, followed by a second practical session on Friday in Ballyfin. On Saturday the players were put through a comprehensive fitness-testing programme in St. Mary's hall in Portlaoise. On Sunday 26th the third practical skills training session was held in Clonad. The following week saw Wednesday and Friday training sessions, a seminar on diet and nutrition, and hydration and body fat testing in The Heritage on Saturday, with hurling training in Clonad last Sunday followed by a gym session to introduce the squad members to their weight training programme.
Following Sunday's session, the present open-ended squad, which will be reduced to 30 players after Christmas, was announced. They are:
Damien Bergin (Clogh Ballacolla), Michael Bermingham, (Mountmellick), John Brophy (Harps), Brian Campion (Rathowney Errill), Damien Carter (Balinakill), Noel Costello (Portlaoise), Gregory Delahunty (Harps) Noel Delaney (Kilcotton), Shane Dollard (Rathowney Errill), Tadgh Doran (Camross), Conor Dunne (Harps), Seamus Dwyer (Ballinakill), Brian Ferns (Castletown), Tommy Fitzgerald (Portlaoise), Kieran Fitzpatrick (Harps), Joe Fitzpatrick (Rathowney Errill), Cahir Healy (Portlaoise), Owen Houlihan (Rathowney Errill) Willie Hyland (Clogh Ballacolla), Eamon Jackman (Ballinakill), Declan Keenan (Castletown), Michael McEvoy (Clogh Ballacolla) John Joe McHugh (Ballyfin), Dermot McGill (Ballyfin), Patrick Mullaney (Castletown), Brian Mulligan (Portlaoise), Joe Phelan (Portlaoise), Phelan Jason (Rathowney Errill) Philip Russell (Galmoy), James Walsh (Ballinakill), John Walsh (Ballinakill) Matthew Whelan (Borris in Ossory), James Young (Tinnahinch).
Attendance at the squad sessions to date has been outstanding, with 100% commitment from the players attending. Their weekly programme is not for the faint-hearted. Monday, weights; Tuesday, squad training; Wednesday, distance run; Thursday, weights; Friday, squad training; Saturday, rest day; Sunday, squad training. By next summer it is envisaged that the squad will have three practical hurling sessions every week.
This is a three-year project. The Laois team manager Damian Fox, the management team and the members of the senior hurling development squad steering committee, which includes the county board and hurling board chairmen, emphasise that it is not a short-term knee-jerk reaction to the present state of Laois hurling They ask that hurling followers in Laois support the initiative by giving the players and the management team the time and space required to realise their objectives.
The full support of the Laois Hurling Clubs for this project is also vital. A complete understanding of the initiative by club officials and members is essential. To this end the steering committee has written to each hurling club to suggest that they include the "Laois Senior Hurling Development Squad Initiative" on the agenda for their AGMs. Members of the Laois Senior Hurling Development Squad Steering Committee will attend any Club AGM if requested. Or alternatively they will be more than willing to reply in writing to any queries or concerns that may arise in relation to steering committee or squad activities.
This is an ambitious project to which the development squad members have committed themselves. Opportunities like this do not come the way of Laois hurling very often. It must be grasped with both hands and fully supported to its three-year conclusion.

Gnevin

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 15, 2006, 02:56:21 PM
"]I think the Laois team have more chance watchin the leinster final from the stand than playing in it if their last few years are anything to go by "

Well the one thing we have going for us is that we are not depending on a thick like you to get us through to a Leinster Final, or any other smart arse who are from one code counties.  At least Wexford and Laois and Ofally produce football and hurling teams.

Relax be polite and come back to me. Ii'm just giving my very valid options you seem to get very disagreible when someone disagrees with you bud .

As for Dublin being a One code county maybe you should tell the County Board that and tell to to stop wasting their time with 3 development squads and winning underage leinster's
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bud Wiser

sorry gnevin, I am working out of an office down the back garden, the friggin roof had a big belly on it and just then there was this noise and gallons of water came down behind me and luckily not on all my office gear.  Have to switch off all electrics and get out of here so we can have a good row another day...........not now though, in too much trouble here.   (Torch on felt me arse !   Its 617799950... you have reached the offices of Allianze, press 1 for home claims....)

tayto

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 15, 2006, 02:56:21 PM

oooOOOoo  ;D ;D ;D ;D

laoislad

Read that article too Bud Wiser and was also impressed.I'd Love to see Laois Hurling up there with the best in the country I remember a time in the 80's when Laois hurling were almost there.We got to a couple of Leinster Finals but could never get over the finishing line.
I wonder if Casletown and Camross could sort out their difference's then we might have a chance of doing something
God too be honest i'd would rather see Laois beat Kilkenny in a Leinster hurling final than see our footballers beat Dublin in the football

TheGreatGame

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 15, 2006, 11:22:12 AM
Well there I was on the old board slamming Laois for making hurling the poor relation of the county and then last week I picks up the Leinster Express (the paper, not the train) to read all about the new plans for hurling.

It is the most eniouraging piece I have read in years, mainly because it is for once not about what they are going to do, but are doing.  Basicly it is a three year plan.  I think the used the Nicky English idea and scouted for around forty players and then they interviewed them as to what commitment they were prepared top give.  (Apparantly all or nothing was the requirement)

Next step was to whittle them down to about 35 of a panel and set out a training schedule that involves six nights a week.  Weights, Diets, Body Building, psychology and three practial games per week.   A backroom team that has everything from a water carrier to sports scientists and all that goes with it as well and the program is already underway.

Training six nights a week and playing three games a week?

Anyway, we can't be blamed for not trying and I am glad to see that Ballinakill have four or five reps on the panel.

Best of luck to all of them and I am sure we will make the Leinster Final this year.

Agreed Bud, and about feckin' time too.  With all due respect to the two previous managers, their preparations were light years off even the basic requirements.  I'm not talking about training trips to La Manga either, essentials like hot meals after training and gym access were not provided.  Whatever about our chances of success, at least this year we can travel in support in the knowledge that our Seniors are fit, looked after and motivated.  Laois will be hopping off the ground come championship against Offaly in Tullamore.  Perhaps they are too young yet to beat them, but I for one can't wait to see how the year pans out.

To be fair to Gnevin, going by the last few years Laois hurling would appear to be in dire straights.  I don't think it has been a fair reflection of hurling in the county though.  I can't remember the last time we have had such a promising crop of players in the 18-25 age group.  I genuinely believe it wont be too long before we have 6 or 7 hurlers up there with James Young as players who can hold their own in any hurling company.  Thats not to say this will be good enough to win a Leinster final or even get to one, but it is a lot more promising than we have been for the last few years.

Regarding the new training regime, five nights a week might seem like overkill but Fox has stated that our basic fitness is miles off other counties, hence the early physical work.  Once the base fitness improves, training will be back to a more manageable 3 nights a week.  Like yourself Bud, I know a few lads going and the mood already is good.  It's a fierce pity the Camross lads aren't going, Zane Keenan in particular is a huge loss.
Anyway, it is very early days yet and only a few steps have been taken, but at least they are steps in the right direction.