Kieran Carey R.I.P.

Started by Armagh Exile, May 30, 2007, 07:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh Exile

Sad to learn of the news of the death of Kieran Carey (Tipperary).
The late Kieran, Mick Maher and John Doyle formed a solid Tipperary full-back line in the late 1950's early 1960's.
May his soul rest in peace and his family are very much in our thoughts and prayers at this sorrowful time.

AZOffaly

Well said. A member of the famous Hell's Kitchen, the deeds of himself and his brothers in arms back there will live long in the memory. They still talk about them in hushed tones here in Tipp.

Ar dheis Dé a raibh a anam.

Armagh Exile

Five time All-Ireland winning Tipperary hurler Kieran Carey, who formed part of one of the greatest ever full back lines, passed away this morning.

Kieran was a member of Tipperary's renowned full back line, known as Hell's Kitchen, between 1958 and 1967. He was a strong and fearless defender who gave sterling service to both club and county.

Kieran's list of honours include five All-Ireland Senior Hurling medals, seven Munster Senior Hurling medals, five National Hurling League medals, five Oireachtas medals and five Railway Cup medals. Kieran was a selector for the Tipperary senior hurling team which won the 1971 All-Ireland Senior Hurling title.

At club level, he played his earliest hurling with Knock and Kyle before joining Roscrea with whom he won three county senior titles, two Munster club titles and an All-Ireland Club title in 1971. Kieran was President of the Knock GAA club at the time of his death.

The funeral details are as follows -

Reposing at Maher's funeral home Roscrea from 3:00pm tomorrow (Thursday). Removal at 8:00pm to St. Cronan's Church Roscrea.

Funeral mass on Friday at 12:00pm followed by burial in Knock cemetery afterwards.

magickingdom

that was some haul of medals he won. may he rest in peace..

ExiledGael

RIP
Sounds like a total legend, but pardon my Northern ignorance I'm unfamiliar with the Hell's Kitchen stories, sounds brilliant though, anyone got any knowledge on the matter?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 30, 2007, 07:39:13 PM
RIP
Sounds like a total legend, but pardon my Northern ignorance I'm unfamiliar with the Hell's Kitchen stories, sounds brilliant though, anyone got any knowledge on the matter?

A couple of articles referring to the Hell's Kitchen legend:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/tipp-no-longer-the-roman-empire-514511.html

http://www.independent.ie/sport/vincent-hogan-hells-kitchen-on-way-it-used-to-be-mcgrath-on-the-way-it-is-174714.html

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 30, 2007, 07:39:13 PM
RIP
It was all back in the days when forwards got routinely beheaded.
Then, forwards could barge or clatter into the goalkeeper as he collected the dropping ball. The backs had to had absolutely sure the forward couldn't get near the goalmouth to tackle the keeper.
I have a photo of the 1969 Leinster final, Damian Martin is gathering the ball and two Offaly backs are in front of him, not looking at the ball and levelling the Kilkenny full-forwards.

Noel Hickey and Diarmuid O'Sullivan would be kittens in comparison to the old guard!

IolarCoisCuain

Thanks for those two articles Hardy. Marvellous stuff.

I remember the Laochra Gael episode on John Doyle alright. The show lined out Maher, Doyle and Carey in front of a goal with hurleys for old times' sake. They'd still make you think twice about taking them on, and these boys were all on the pension at this stage.

It's easy to forget just how rough the game was then. There was a picture of Christy Ring in that marvellous documentary that was made about him about eighteen months ago or so, where he's bursting through a forest of hurls. That those boys had bones of steel and felt no pain is the only way I can explain it. Len Gaynor was interviewed in Keith Duggan's book, The Lifelong Season, and he says that the first thing you learned to use your hurley for in Tipp in the sixties was as a shield, for your own protection. Frightening stuff. And yet strangely thrilling at the same time.

There was another boyo interviewed on Laochra Gael when they profiled Doyle, who was just introduced as a friend of Doyle's. He was talking about how he watches soccer on the television now and when a goal is scored "all you see is fellas hugging and kissing each other. I'll tell you wan thing," he said, "if you scored a goal off Hell's Kitchen it's not kisses you'd be getting - it's a spin in the ambulance." Makes you wonder what he makes about this song and dance about that game in Thurles on Sunday.

God have mercy on poor Kieran Carey, a servant of the game and the nation. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.

Treasurer

Heshs Umpire

He was actually a Laoisman, originally from Kyle a tiny junior club just outside Roscrea (but inside the Laois border).
Despite their size won the Laois senior hurling title in 1951 with Kieran Carey the inspiration.
RIP
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore