Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Ballyholland to build on their fantastic season last year and go all the way this time.
Best coached/managed team in the land.

Hedgehunter

What is the promotion/relegation rules? 2 up 2 down or is there playoffs involved etc? All leagues should be quite competitive this season..

cut the crap

Div 1. Mayobridge  danger Bryansford  Kilcoo and Burren will concentrate on championship
Div2.  Loughinisland danger Rostrevor Downpatrick will fall away when players go to USA
Div3.  Saul  danger Glasdrumman. Bosco will be thereabouts
Div4. The Finn they deserve a bit of success

We will be concentrating on club football this summer as I fear a short championship campaign but the performance in Mayo was encouraging , we are lacking quality in key areas  and no obvious replacements, maybe there is some u21 s who could come in as they cannot be as bad as I seen in Newry.
We will be going to Clones more in hope than expectation but that's why we are Down supporters, I only pray that we learn from what's happened in the league and can deliver.
I am still calling for change at the county executive regardless what happens.

whitegoodman

Mayobridge and Burren will make fast starts to the league and be at the top for the majority of it whilst Kilcoo will cruise through it and then when championship time comes they will win it again despite the fact that they have regressed from 3 or 4 years ago due to the severe lack of quality in the county which has been shown up time and time again this year with the county team.

I do agree that that the leagues being reduced to 12 will make them more competitive and if you take Ballymartin aside there could be a dog fight as to who goes down.

Div 2 should also be competitive but would fancy Rostrevor to be too strong with Mulholland in charge.

PAULD123

WhiteGM you say Kilcoo cruise early on how does that work? I mean I know they produce average enough results every year but I don't see enough club football to know why, and it is something I have often wondered about. Do Kilcoo play weakened teams or just not put the effort in in these early games?

GreenGiant

Surely Glenn will go down this year!

whitegoodman

Paul its not that I don't think they wont be out to win, its more that losing league games in April and May wont be the end of the world for them.  Winning another league at this stage wont be the be all and end all for them imo.

They will be developing their training programme to peak in August and if this means heavy training sessions two nights before a league game then so be it.  They will also use the league to develop new players, try players in new positions and perfect their system of play for late summer.  Compare this to Burren who played free flowing football from the start last year and skittled teams in the league and then ended up playing an extra man back for the first time in the championship reply against Kilcoo!!!

Its not an insult to Kilcoo, they know what their priorities are and they will stick to it.  Even with doing all of the above they may still contend for the league given the lack of quality around but are unlikely to be in the top 2/3.

I expect Dawson to have the bridge flying fit and raring to go and with no county players they should be in a position to hit the ground running although player for player they are still the 3rd/4th best team in Down at best.

GreenGiant

Quote from: whitegoodman on April 06, 2016, 01:29:50 PM
Paul its not that I don't think they wont be out to win, its more that losing league games in April and May wont be the end of the world for them.  Winning another league at this stage wont be the be all and end all for them imo.

They will be developing their training programme to peak in August and if this means heavy training sessions two nights before a league game then so be it.  They will also use the league to develop new players, try players in new positions and perfect their system of play for late summer.  Compare this to Burren who played free flowing football from the start last year and skittled teams in the league and then ended up playing an extra man back for the first time in the championship reply against Kilcoo!!!

Its not an insult to Kilcoo, they know what their priorities are and they will stick to it.  Even with doing all of the above they may still contend for the league given the lack of quality around but are unlikely to be in the top 2/3.

I expect Dawson to have the bridge flying fit and raring to go and with no county players they should be in a position to hit the ground running although player for player they are still the 3rd/4th best team in Down at best.

Thats a very good assessment on Kilcoo Whitegoodman, completely agree with you

SHEEDY

clonduff beat warrenpoint 0-16 to 1-11 in the 1st division 1 match of the new season. tight enough match in which 'the yellas' probably deserved to come out on top.
nil satis nisi optimum

cut the crap

Are Kilcoo and Burren that far ahead that they will cruise through the league and then up the ante come championship time , I sincerely hope that the other teams in Div1 give them a severe test in the league.Football standards I think will only go up with the new league format and if I am right old rivalries will be reignited with the home and away structures, I personally cannot wait for the leagues to start and hear on this discussion board if there are some players who could come into the county team.
I also am confident that our minors will win their match, I have to admit I wasn't happy with James getting the post but after watching the trials and his team play a couple of times, I am won over, apologies James.He's got them playing a good brand of football with passion , can't wait for Clones.
Now for  a rant , why oh why are we not developing relationships with the schools and clubs at underage levels to unearth the stars of tomorrow.People will come on here and say we are but I believe we are only scratching the surface.
Paddy leads the Mourne academy , great idea , he needs help , give him the resources to expand this academy , question for all on here, has your club ever been approached regarding putting forward any players suitable for development,has Paddy watched any of your players, I know he is reliant on the development squad structure but it has been said by some on here the present structure needs overhauled and county coaches better utilised.So back to my original point Paddy needs help , I know that members of the county executive read or contribute on here , so I say GIVE Paddy the help he needs and get these development squads sorted.
Finally I wish all teams well this year , every one will have their highs and lows but as the late Pat OHare said to me young ......... I hate losing more than I like winning ! I suppose we all feel that way when we think about it , I want my team to do well , I want to see good hard hitting exciting football and a re emergence of An Dun

Cb66

Div 1- for  me kilcoo best team in the county again this year. Agree with others that league not their priority and could be one of Burren, bryansford or the bridge to make the title theirs. Think ballymartin and longstone the sides most in danger of relegation.

Div 2- rostrevor and one of rgu or loughinisland to get promoted. St. John's to get relegated alongside one of Darragh Cross, Bredagh or Carryduff.

Div 3- Saul and Bosco to get promoted. Kilclief and dromara or teconnaught to bring up the rear

Div 4- dundrum and aughlisnafin to get promoted

Looking forward to a good year of club football in this county. Good start from clonduff last night!

DownFanatic

Bridge looked sharp against Glenn tinight in Division 1; 3-13 to 1-10.
Conleth O'Hare pulling the strings with Kevin O'Rourke in top scoring form. Shane McNamee excellent in defence.
Glenn ultra defensive first half but opened up a bit in the second. They'll be hard to beat at home.

knockitdown

Harps v Kilcoo moved to Mayobridge this evening with a 6.45 throw in.

Leftmidfield

Quote from: knockitdown on April 08, 2016, 02:32:57 PM
Harps v Kilcoo moved to Mayobridge this evening with a 6.45 throw in.

I have from good source that the ballyholland match still scheduled for Ballyholland

SHEEDY

Ballyholland/kilcoo postponed.
nil satis nisi optimum