Laid Off?

Started by Mayo4Sam, October 16, 2008, 07:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 16, 2008, 08:36:01 PM
Because I know a lot struggling and none of them are like you describe.

And I know plenty who do nothing but complain all day that they have no work etc,I would ask them then if they had rang any of their old customers,or advertise  or ring old bosses to see if they would subcontract work out to them or anything that might throw up a job for them and all you hear is I couldn't be bothered I didn't ever have to do that  ::)
Right fair enough maybe saying in a lot of cases was a bit unfair but I do know plenty who would rather complain about having no work than actually go do something about it
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

And I know plenty who do nothing but complain all day that they have no work etc,I would ask them then if they had rang any of their old customers,or advertise  or ring old bosses to see if they would subcontract work out to them or anything that might throw up a job for them and all you hear is I couldn't be bothered I didn't ever have to do that
Well they're probably Dubs or Laois men.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Down Gael

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 16, 2008, 08:40:14 PM
but I do know plenty who would rather complain about having no work than actually go do something about it

Too true TRLL

Square Ball

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 16, 2008, 08:40:14 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 16, 2008, 08:36:01 PM
Because I know a lot struggling and none of them are like you describe.

And I know plenty who do nothing but complain all day that they have no work etc,I would ask them then if they had rang any of their old customers,or advertise  or ring old bosses to see if they would subcontract work out to them or anything that might throw up a job for them and all you hear is I couldn't be bothered I didn't ever have to do that  ::)
Right fair enough maybe saying in a lot of cases was a bit unfair but I do know plenty who would rather complain about having no work than actually go do something about it

I have no time either for lazy bollixes who sit on their holes and wait for a job to hit them up the face
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

pintsofguinness

QuoteI have no time either for lazy bollixes who sit on their holes and wait for a job to hit them up the face
and then the run away from it when it does come.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Down Gael

I offered a lad a job a few weeks back, told him we could "only" pay him €120 a day and he turned it down. Said he wouldnt get out of bed for it. I was talking to him yesterday, he is still not working and hasnt bothered to sign on.

Diet Coke

Quote from: Down Gael on October 16, 2008, 08:51:59 PM
I offered a lad a job a few weeks back, told him we could "only" pay him €120 a day and he turned it down. Said he wouldnt get out of bed for it. I was talking to him yesterday, he is still not working and hasnt bothered to sign on.

What was the job?
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

Yes I Would

Tough times at the minute certainly. Best of luck Mayo4Sam.
Have a couple of mates in construction who are fearing the chop tomorrow. All but likely. Both with houses, wemen and kids.

Although i dont have a big pile of sympathy for one of them.
He put an ad in the paper about 6 months ago (Newry Reporter) giving the home and mobile no of one of the boys who claimed he was looking for brickies.
He said he had about 30 calls between 6pm and 7pm on the evening the paper came out.
Had to turn off his mobile and disconnect his phone for a full week.  It was the poor fellas thinking this was genuine and making the calls i felt sorry for.

comethekingdom

Thats alot of the problem - a pile of these twentysomething cubs are too used to having too much cash. 120 a day is good money for a lad. I'd be well happy with it myself if I had nothing else!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 16, 2008, 07:39:33 PM
This happen to anyone else yet? Got the bad news on Friday last, disaster, no work in construction, looks like Dubai for me.

Sorry to hear that chief, get away to Oz or Dubai and remind us what the sun looks like...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

stephenite

Jesus, sorry to hear that pal - plenty in the same boat from what I hear, dark times. Economy going to shite over here too but still plenty of construction going on, and the  Euro is worth double the Aussie dollar. Sydney Airport is like Ellis Island back in the day apparently, Italians and Irish all queuing up

ludermor

A big subbie went bust on our sote last week, he had 70 lads on our site alone so god know how many in total ( 200 easy). Of course he is gone with the cash but the lads on the ground are left short a week or 2 wages.

Bod Mor

Quote from: stephenite on October 16, 2008, 10:46:04 PM
Jesus, sorry to hear that pal - plenty in the same boat from what I hear, dark times. Economy going to shite over here too but still plenty of construction going on, and the  Euro is worth double the Aussie dollar. Sydney Airport is like Ellis Island back in the day apparently, Italians and Irish all queuing up

There is feck all construction work to be had in Sydney at the moment unless you have a trade. 2 mates of mine came over a few weeks ago and can't find any work as labourers. Brisbane & Perth seem to be the best bet for construction work at the moment.

I work in IT as a tester and my contract is up in 3 weeks and I'm struggling to line up any interviews, seems to be feck all work around. It looks like it will be back to sheering sheep for me fairly soon.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

orangeman

Gee - € 120 a day is good money - what sort of money was he on before ??

Mayo4Sam

Its been on the cards now for a few months, we've been designing lots of jobs but none going to site, can see a lot of contractors going to the wall, without residential construction it leaves it tight for a lot of companies.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me