More sectarianism in Irish League Football

Started by T Fearon, August 14, 2007, 12:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loughers

Pardon my ignorance, but I presume Ballymena's supporters are mostly Protestant, so what sort of "sectarian abuse" were they supposed to be throwing at Linfield?

MW

Quote from: stew on November 12, 2007, 04:20:02 PM
MW does you not see the deflection going on here, the ability to rationalize anything?

Stew, no-one else who was at the game, whether Ballymena fans, Linfield fans, Ballymena management, the media or, presumably, the match officials, heard what Jeffrey claimed to. His own club didn't even back him up.

The IFA investigated and found that there was "no basis in fact" to Jeffrey's allegation.

Why exactly do you want to believe his groundless allegation?

T Fearon

They were abusing the Catholic players on the Linfield team. Noble of Jeffrey to highlight this.In the late 80s he himself abused my mate, who was playing for Ards against Linfield in direct opposition to Jeffery, in a sectarin manner

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on November 12, 2007, 04:43:43 PM
They were abusing the Catholic players on the Linfield team. Noble of Jeffrey to highlight this.

No they weren't. Jeffrey 'peddled an untruth'.

So I can see why you're praising him.

T Fearon

Like Billy Leonard, anyone born in the six counties can travel for years inb darkness but eventually see the light, even David Jeffrey

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on November 12, 2007, 04:49:04 PM
Like Billy Leonard, anyone born in the six counties can travel for years inb darkness but eventually see the light, even David Jeffrey

Seriously Tony, (and I do mean Tony, not "Tony") - what's the point? Isn't there more to life than trying to get satisfaction from annoying people?

stew

Quote from: MW on November 12, 2007, 04:42:46 PM
Quote from: stew on November 12, 2007, 04:20:02 PM
MW does you not see the deflection going on here, the ability to rationalize anything?

Stew, no-one else who was at the game, whether Ballymena fans, Linfield fans, Ballymena management, the media or, presumably, the match officials, heard what Jeffrey claimed to. His own club didn't even back him up.

The IFA investigated and found that there was "no basis in fact" to Jeffrey's allegation.

Why exactly do you want to believe his groundless allegation?

I dont want to believe it, i dont want to disbelieve it, that is not what it is about, I would be annoyed if Catholic players were getting stickfor any reason. I dont believe nothing was said, why would he react the way he did.

catholics getting abused in the IL is nothing new. I remember watching linfield players going after joey cunningham years ago, the abuse he got for being a Black Catholic was unbelievable.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Loughers on November 12, 2007, 04:33:35 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but I presume Ballymena's supporters are mostly Protestant, so what sort of "sectarian abuse" were they supposed to be throwing at Linfield?

The unsubstantiated allegation was that the Ballymena supporters were chanting "You're just a team full of Fenians". Had this been the case, I think it was geared towards Linfield's old No Catholics policy rather than at the Catholics playing for Linfield. I genuinely can't see how anyone would have a problem with such a chant.

But since it never happened, the whole thing is a moot point.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet