Referee Hit in Westmeath Club Game

Started by thejuice, June 13, 2007, 04:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syd

Quote from: stew on June 13, 2007, 09:18:57 PM
I got a month suspension and I should have got jail. I was one lucky tube to get away with no jail time.

Stew maybe we could retrospectively ban you from the GAA board for a while if you feel your punishment was a bit lenient.........  ;)

45GoneShort

Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on June 13, 2007, 08:04:08 PM
While I don't agree with hitting any official I have certain sympathies...........lets be honest..........name 5 top class referees in GAA........difficult...ok name 2.

A lot of referees want to be the centre of attention.........and most achieve this by crazy decisions.............players train 2-3 nights per week and have to put up with complete clowns most of the time

the solution IMHO is pay them a decent fee and have regular fitness/rules tests.

I would take issue with you in regard to a lot of referees wanting to be the centre of attention, i think you will find that the vast majority of referees are ordinary club men who aren't shy about taking a job at an agm whereas those who sit back and criticise referees wouldn't dream of pulling on the referees jersey - I have put this to some of own team mates when they criticise referees and more often than not they don't know what to say.

timmykelleher

I know Niall Cahalane got a year's suspension for giving a ref a shoulder in the back after a match.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Dangleberrys

First problem with this is that everyone is assuming the ref got a punch.  That's not the case.  A picture tells a thousand words as they say but this is totally out of context.  Before this player gets the book thrown at him at least wait to hear the truth of what happened instead of listening to the drama queen reporters.......

This is not a rant to condone abusing a ref, this is in relation to all posts about a ref getting a slap, which again, is untrue. 

full back

Quote from: Dangleberrys on June 14, 2007, 10:17:17 AM
First problem with this is that everyone is assuming the ref got a punch.  That's not the case.  A picture tells a thousand words as they say but this is totally out of context.

Well what did happen Dangle? You seem to know a bit about it

Dangleberrys

Dont want to join in the lynching here so wont say a word until I get the full story.  Have connections involved so have a more accurate view of what actually happened,(still not the full story tho), compared to what has been posted here already.  Pisses me off when reporters try to sensationalize situations like this just to sell papers without any regard for the player/team or officials in question.  This incident should be dealt with in a justifiable manner, thats not going to happen now with this all over the tabloids.  Photographer should have given all pictures of what happened instead of picking the most controversial one, although I presume its the reporter who has the final say in that....hardly a suprise there then!

Bacon

Quote from: Dangleberrys on June 14, 2007, 11:57:18 AM
Dont want to join in the lynching here so wont say a word until I get the full story.  Have connections involved so have a more accurate view of what actually happened,(still not the full story tho), compared to what has been posted here already.  Pisses me off when reporters try to sensationalize situations like this just to sell papers without any regard for the player/team or officials in question.  This incident should be dealt with in a justifiable manner, thats not going to happen now with this all over the tabloids.  Photographer should have given all pictures of what happened instead of picking the most controversial one, although I presume its the reporter who has the final say in that....hardly a suprise there then!
Reporters report. That's their job. Like you i'd like to hear the full story before passing sentence on anyone but as a general principle laying hands on a ref or verbaly abusing one is a bad thing and should be severely punished. Do you agree?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

qub la la la

refs are verbally abused every game them do. and the whole deserves a few months in jail is over used a lot. although i dont condone physical abuse of refs or of players (although its wat happens and thats that)!

KIDDO

Any chance Francis Mooney was reporting at this westmeath clash.

Dangleberrys

This incident should be dealt with in a justifiable manner, thats not going to happen now with this all over the tabloids.

Obviously I do......