Louth v Wexford (who??)

Started by Model Hammer, June 13, 2007, 10:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Hammer

Here's a thread for those of us who consider the first Quarter-Final in Croker on Sunday to be the important one (did you notice the competition on TSG was to win tickets to "the Dublin-Meath game"?) ...

Wexford line-up is:
Cooper, Morris, Wallace, Malone, Morrissey, D Murphy, N Murphy, Stafford, Bradley, Deeley, Barry, Flynn, Lyng, Colfer, Forde

This year Bealin has pretty much continued with the team from the League. We finished the League very strongly but that "form" can hardly be relied upon a full 9 weeks later when we start in the championship.

If I were a neutral I suppose I would have to concede that it was fair to give Louth a two-week break, and that break probably tips the odds in their favour. But if we can get into the game early enough I think we should be a match for them, and I feel we are capable of winning it.

It's 3 years since we beat Louth well in Parnell Park, and there's no doubt that they have come on a lot since that day, but I don't think we have gone back any. We'll miss Diarmuid  Kinsella, but we have more strength in depth now than we had back then, we now have a strong midfield, and the core of our team is vastly experienced (and it's not all bad experience, to paraphrase Colm O'Rourke).

From what I saw of Louth, I feel the defence can be vulnerable, and the forwards dangerous, and we're a bit like that ourselves, so it should be fairly high-scoring. Where we might shade it is midfield, and the breaks, but who knows after such a long layoff ... if we can reproduce and then step up the effort and commitment from the latter stages of the League we're in with a good shout.

A lot depends on Rory Stafford who was my player of the year last year, but has hardly featured in the league campaign. A big performance is needed from him I feel. Inside Deely, Lyng and Forde are capable of matching what Louth's big guns can do. But the man pulling the strings as always will be Red Barry. If Red can hold it all together, then there's a good chance we'll be back in a fortnight for a 4th consecutive semi-final.

A lot of "ifs" ....

Uladh

Is Stafford the Midifelder who used to have dreadlocks?

Billys Boots

I don't know that Matt Forde will necessarily be a bigger handful than Tommy Gill, or Leighton Glynn.  Wexford, historically, will be a much greater challenge defensively for Louth than Wicklow.  I think this could be a cracking good game, especially if Rooney and Stansfield are on their game.  I think Louth will really have to tighten up in their half-back line (especially McGinnity) to progress.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Model Hammer

Quote from: Uladh on June 13, 2007, 11:40:09 AM

Is Stafford the Midifelder who used to have dreadlocks?
That's him. Last year it was a bit of a mohican. Don't know what this year's style is, but I'm sure he won't disappoint, what with an audience of 82,000 awaiting. Rory likes to be noticed ..... He has a great leap, is strong as an ox, and likes to put himself about. Looking for a big performance from him on Sunday, though we have good cover in midfield for a change with Tom Howlin, David Fogarty and Clareman Peter O'Dwyer to call on.

I guess Louth can be expected to start the same 15 as the last day. They looked impressive in fairness, but Wickla did look tired.

Uladh

I'd expect Wexford to dominate around the middle third unless Louth can hugely improve on their break ball numbers. Wexford have some very big men and with a smallish mobile midfield, Louth's best bet is breaking and winning the scraps. Wexford have been badly burned in the past when their defenders have had to cope one on one in the open spaces of croker and early ball inside could bear fruit for Louth.

My reading of Forde has always been that he struggles to win ball against tenacious markers who possess real speed as, although not slow, he doesn't have rolls royce pace himself. if he can be starved of possession or even dispossessed once or twice it won't be long til he strikes out in frustration.

I'd go for louth marginally but wouldn't rule out the draw... a lot of championships tend to throw up a team that will draw games regularly... could be louth this year

magpie seanie

When talking of Forde making an impact we're saying 1-6 or 0-8 or something like that which is a huge ask. He'll probably get something like 0-4 and if he's held to a number like that it might be enough for the wee county.

Model Hammer

Same again for the Wee County:

Louth (SF v Wexford): S Reynolds; A Page, C Goss, J Carr; D Finnegan, P McGinnity, R Finnegan; P Keenan, R Carroll; M Farrelly, M Brennan, J O'Brien; A Hoey, M Stanfield, JP Rooney.

Reckon our full-back line could be in for a torrid afternoon. It's been our main problem of late, but Brian Malone has definitely been an improvement in the left corner. Wallace and Morris are seasoned campaigners and will need to call on all their experience and wit - and cut down on the ball-watching. Probably more important for Wexford to try and cut out the supply by winning the midfied area.

Should be fascinating. One or two injury rumours in the Model camp are worrying, but if we have everyone available we'll give it a right crack. Pundits tipping Louth on account of the 3 games, but we came in cold against Meath last year and it didn't hamper us, so I'll be hoping the freshness might stand to us again. We had a bit of luck that day and we'll take any that's going on Sunday!

Model Hammer

Aw what the hell, a prediction so:

Wexford 1-15   Louth 2-10

Enjoy the game(s).

Model Hammer

Quote from: Louth Exile on June 15, 2007, 11:21:31 PM
It hasn't been mentioned earlier on the thread, Does nobody else think that Banville will be a big lost to Wexford???
Louth Exile, I wouldn't like to be seen to be making excuses in advance, but while Banville is a loss, he's not as big a loss as Diarmuid Kinsella. Banville on his day is a good finisher, and he has had noticable good days, like v the Dubs two years ago, but for me and a lot of Wexicans, he's too inconsistent. For me he's had more bad days than good recently. Yes it would be better to have him, but this year we've gained Ciaran Lyng in the full-forward line and for me he's a much more natural corner-forward, and a nice left-footed free-taker too. Funnily enough, both of them are soccer players. Banville played with Waterford, and Lyng had a few years across the water with Preston.

Kinsella's loss is more significant, as he's a fantastic all-round footballer and the kind of fella who gets better when the chips are down. Whereas injury has done for Banville, Kinsella's story is kinda tragic from a Wexford point of view. He was controversially red-carded during the League for allegedly kicking out at a Tipp player (I wasn't present but apparently not true). He got 3 months, which was vigorously appealed with no success, and he said bugger the GAA and took up a job opportunity in Hong Kong. He was one of the 3 or 4 lads that got suspended for 3 months (I think) for lining out with DCU there last year, so I guess he'd had enough of GAA disciplinary bodies, and felt hard done by enough to pack it in for the year.

Anyway, even without those two, I think we should have enough, but it should be a titanic struggle. Lookking forward to it and may the better team win, unless that's Louth!

Hound

Jeez, Louth were quare bad (and they'd looked so good the last game). The scoreine didnt near reflect the difference between the two teams IMO.

Maybe its just his languid style, but Forde looks like he doesnt try a leg until someone gives him the ball.....

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 17, 2007, 08:05:26 PM
2 poor teams today. Though Louth could have sneaked it at the death.

Should Laois be concerned about Wexford 5ive Times?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Model Hammer

As they might say around Wexford town, jayses Louth were some bad yesterday! Clearly our lads were only slightly less bad, and lucky enough to come away with the win. How the ref saw fit to allow a measly 2 minutes added time is a complete mystery, unless he felt under pressure to clear the pitch for the big lads .... if he had even allowed 3, Louth would have drawn level as they would have pointed the free, and they owned our kickouts at that stage and would probably have scored again.

McEneaney's tinkering with the forwards seems to have totally demoralised his squad. Could he not have accommodated Clarke and Lennon in the half-forward line? Anyway, I'm no expert on Louth, but clearly they have enough good forwards on their day. But some of the shooting yesterday was dreadful under no great pressure from defenders.

The Louth backs were at sea in the first half, especially on the right side, although our forwards were criss-crossing the pitch a lot, which seemed to make the space, and I've never seen Wexford kick points like those. A couple of times they seemed to take the wrong option, players kicking from bad angles on their weak side, yet they all sailed over. I won't be expecting that to happen every day, or even the next day ....

From our point of view, we know we just have to improve to progress further. We're under no illusions. Unfortunately our squad is shrinking and we shipped some more heavy knocks yesterday. Bad and all at times as our full back line can be, they're all we've got and we can't afford to lose anyone. Midfield will need to improve the next day, though I thought Eric Bradley was like Roy Keane yesterday, end to end kicking scores and breaking up attacks at the other end. My man of the match. Rory Stafford was very poor and should have been replaced by Fogarty 15 minutes earlier than he was.

So it's a hurdle cleared, and can do better. But considering the long layoff, and most of the pundits tipping Louth, I'm delighted with the win. I think we'll improve, and maybe there's a big performance in us for a forthnight's time.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Model Hammer on June 18, 2007, 03:19:20 PM
How the ref saw fit to allow a measly 2 minutes added time is a complete mystery, unless he felt under pressure to clear the pitch for the big lads .... if he had even allowed 3, Louth would have drawn level as they would have pointed the free, and they owned our kickouts at that stage and would probably have scored again.

Amazing that it took a Wexford man to bring this up, fair play to you model hammer. I think we are not supposed to mention these things as we might seem like bad losers, well F%k that.... All teams are entitled to fair play and Paddy Russell is supposed to be one of the top refs in the country. It has been widely acknowledged in the media that we were not given our fair allocation of injury time, but what is going to be done about it?? I'll tell you, nothing. Offaly got their justice a couple of years ago in the hurling, why shouldn't we get ours?? With the proper injury time the last free was over the bar and Louth had a couple of minutes to salvage the draw, which I don't think would have been unfair.

Amyway, such is the way of it. We are not one of the big boys, so who cares!!! I am in no way bitter towards Wexford, I genuinely wish them the very best of luck in the rest of the championship, I hope it goes well for ye, maybe this is the year ye bring that consistencey a step foward and make or even win the final.

It was a poor game as a spectacle, have to feel sorry for the neutrals at it.. Wexford did provide some entertainment in the first half with some excellent scores, the Louth defence gave them space and they made full use of it. We were lucky to go in only four points down at half time. Wexford seemed to take their scores with ease and style, apart from John's goal we were pretty much fighting for everything we got. I was also very impressed by the Wexford support of the player in possesion, particularly around the middle. The main problem with the game is that it was far to stop start, the ref never let it flow at all, spending half the time running over to umpires, linsemen and players half way down the field!!

As for the mangement team, I don't blame them for the lack of performance yesterday, they have made the right changes the whole way along and were not afraid to make them yesterday again. Their switches worked again. The team was picked on form and it is the players who need to need to take the blame for not performing! On to the qualifers
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

magpie seanie

QuoteWe are not one of the big boys, so who cares!!!

As a Sligo man I know and feel your pain.

Louth Exile

I think M Brennan's star has dwindled some what, still not sure if I would drop him.
D Finnegan is a good honest to good player, but I thought he got pretty much cleaned on Sunday, given the performance J Neary gave why was he not on from the start? He seems to be back to his best.

I just don't think T O'Brien is cut out for intercounty, good club footballer. Judge & Mc Ginn should probably be on the panel alright.

The JJ one is a bit strange, came on as a sub in nearly every league game, never started one game and now seems to have dissapeared. I was never a fan of JJ's, thought he was a bit windy!! But he impressed throughout the league and changed my opinion of him. Hope he does feature again.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com