Meath vs Dublin 17th June

Started by meathie, June 05, 2007, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

meath will not play on sat- to be honest i wouldn't blame them for that either.

mannix

They should have it on the saturday afternoon.

Declan

Now talking about putting the games on RTE1 and RTE2

Main Street

Jinxy

Makes sense in fairness. Better than messing with the throw-in time anyway.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Declan on June 06, 2007, 06:55:59 AM
Now talking about putting the games on RTE1 and RTE2

Just yesterday they completely ruled this out as an option ::)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Louth Exile

Hot off the Press..... (i mean hoganstand)

"To facilitate live T.V. coverage of the Dublin v Meath Bank of Ireland S.F.C. Replay on Sunday 17th June 2007 the Leinster Council has agreed to defer the game to 4.15p.m.

The first Quarter Final - Louth v Wexford - will now have a starting time of 2.20p.m."

They don't say anymore than this at the moment

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

The Claw

I think one of the reasons they wouldnt play it on saturday is becasue the meath hurlers are out in the Christy Ring on the saturday.

Gnevin

Quote from: Louth Exile on June 06, 2007, 03:41:33 PM

"To facilitate live T.V. coverage of the Dublin v Meath Bank of Ireland S.F.C. Replay on Sunday 17th June 2007 the Leinster Council has agreed to defer the game to 4.15p.m.

The first Quarter Final - Louth v Wexford - will now have a starting time of 2.20p.m."

15 min delay ,  can get in an extra pint before hand now :D :P
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

prewtna

Quote from: Gnevin on June 06, 2007, 04:23:50 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on June 06, 2007, 03:41:33 PM

15 min delay ,  can get in an extra pint before hand now :D :P

forgive my ignorance....

how exactly will 15min delay allow live coverage of the match?

AZOffaly

I presume the Sunday Matinee will be finished on RTE 1 by then. They can leave RTE 2 showing Tryone-Donegal and Cork-Waterford.

Tyrone Dreamer

I think this is a terrible decision by the GAA to allow this to happen. It imo shows disrespect to a very significent hurling game on that day involving the league champions. If they couldnt accomadate this match at another time then surely deferred coverage would have been the sensible option? What a Sunday its going to be anyway!

prewtna

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 06, 2007, 07:54:10 PM
I think this is a terrible decision by the GAA to allow this to happen. It imo shows disrespect to a very significent hurling game on that day involving the league champions. If they couldnt accomadate this match at another time then surely deferred coverage would have been the sensible option? What a Sunday its going to be anyway!

ya im inclined to agree with you.
they said in the press release that the hurling should get a head-start! ok so half the country will watch the start of the hurling then change channels to watch the football and then flick back at half-time! do they realise that the 400,000 (or whatever it was) that watched the drawn game is about the sum total of people who would watch GAA on any given sunday anyway?! im one of them. id watch the hurling if it was on its own but when the football comes on il be changing channels.

no offence intended to the hurlers of this country but coming from the plain of the yew tree its football ive grown up with.

i think the gaa should hang its head in shame - leinster council especially. hurling is sufering a slow dying death anyway so theres no need for the hierarchy to help it along the way.

Hardy

You can't force people to watch hurling lads. It's a free country. Maybe we should lock everyone in their homes when there's a big hurling match on, jam the satellites and hand out free rabbits-ears aerials.

If it had been the other way around, would people be complaining that this was "showing disrespect to a big football match"?

It's a very good solution, and accommodates the interests of everyone - the GAA, RTÉ and the supporters, who can now watch whichever game they choose. Everyone, that is, except people who believe we shouldn't have a choice when there's hurling to be watched. What are they afraid of? Surely, hurling being such a superior game and all, as they keep insisting, the discerning will watch it in their hundreds of thousands and ignore that ould football match.

Tyrone Dreamer

Your right Hardy you cant force people to watch hurling. However what the gaa doing here will inevitably lead to a huge drop in the hurling figures. Hurling is strugling recently and every effort should be made to promote it. Next Sunday will be one of the clashes of the entire championship. An improving Waterford team who look capable of finally ending their All Ireland drought after winning the league coming up against the 2005/6 all ireland champions. This is a great match to promote the game. RTE still would have got huge viewing figures for the Meath Dublin match (and maybe more as a lot more people will be back from club games) if theyd showed it deferred at 6. They simply had to avoid giving the score out during the hurling. Would have been a win win situation as both games would have got big viewing figures. An own goal in my opinion. It'll not matter to me as Ill be in Clones to see if this Tyrone team really are finished.