Michael Mc Didn'tdowell

Started by T Fearon, May 26, 2007, 10:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

At last the geek causes universal rejoicing among Northern Nationalists, and I suspect, among a substantial number of our separated brethern in the 26 counties as well. Goodbye Geek and Good riddance! ;D

The Claw

Harsh, At least when he said he would do something, he did it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: The Claw on May 26, 2007, 01:56:54 PM

Just like Hitler, when he invaded Poland  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 26, 2007, 02:37:05 PM
Quote from: The Claw on May 26, 2007, 01:56:54 PM

Just like Hitler, when he invaded Poland  ;)

:D
Testing Accessibility

magickingdom

didnt agree with alot of what he said and he could be an ass but the dail will be poorer without him..

GweylTah

Quote from: magickingdom on May 26, 2007, 02:45:13 PM
didnt agree with alot of what he said and he could be an ass but the dail will be poorer without him..

Who will Bertie use to be his bloodhound/Mr Hyde figure in the coming Government?  Did McDowell not just say unpopular things that a lot of people privately think?

Bertie needs a junior partner or partners to be his fall guys for the coming downturn, content in the knowledge that, if things go well, FF will get the bulk of the credit while, if things go wrong, they will take the blame while FF can still always rely on its rump third of the electorate.

ziggysego

You could be right, but in this particular case, it's the man himself.
Testing Accessibility

magpie seanie

Gweyl - Betrie won't be leading FF into another election so it will be someone elses problem. Your analysis is not far off the mark in this instance though.

Billys Boots

QuoteDid McDowell not just say unpopular things that a lot of people privately think?

McDowell's biggest fault was that his ego didn't allow him to pass a microphone without saying something to it.  He did say some intelligent and perceptive things, in his career, but they were far outweighed by the daft and unconsidered utterances for which he became more famous.  I didn't like him much, but he wasn't wrong about Sinn Féin.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

blast05

QuoteAt last the geek causes universal rejoicing among Northern Nationalists

There is no doubt that 1 brilliant and lasting part of McDowells legacy was to expose the throught about SF. For that i applaud him

GweylTah

I doubt if most southern voters will give a monkeys that 'Northern Nationalists'  are celebrating McDowell's demise, they quite obviously see 'Northern Nationalists' as a different breed.  Unionists don't mind being seen as a different breed, but nationalists probably do.  They may see now that voting for Sinn Fein only increases that view from the South.

In government or out of it, Sinn Fein is one of the biggest impediments to a united Ireland.

Gerry for the Aras in 2011?

;D

Declan

McDowell is an intellectual bully boy and a coward and Im delighted that he's out of public life. A horrible elitist snob who in another era would not be short of saying let them eat cake. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out Michael 

Louth Exile

Saw Fiona O'Malley on TV3 last night and that stage Mc Dowell hadn't even rang her about losing her seat in Dun Laoighaire. He took a rash decision about his leadership of the party at an emotional time without consulting another member of his party or communicating it to them. They had to find out from the media!!

There was a great cartoon in the Tribune yesterday, showed him falling off the top of the ladder in Ranelagh  ;D

In such at tight constituency I prefer to see him going than Gormley
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

magpie seanie

Hardy

Another phrase that gained general currency during the election coverage (along with Breakfast Roll Man and FF gene pool) - "the 'F' word" as it applies to the Greens.

Flaky.

Or maybe it should be Seanie's 'L' word.