Joe Brolly?
Neil Francis?
Ewan MacKenna?
Colm Parkinson?
Eamon Dunphy?
George Hook?
Ger Gilroy?
Paul Kimmage?

I presonally wouldn't put Parkinson or Gilroy in there and it's not particular to Ireland but by jesus we have some of the biggest arseholes talking about sport in this country. They will all claim not to be cheerleaders, hitting you with facts etc etc but they are always negative and never constructive. Empty vessels who never offer solutions just opinion usually uninformed.

The only thing more annoying is the gobshites who retweet them when they write something they agree with but abuse the f*ck out them when the write something they disagree with. MacKenna's anti-Dublin doping and his anti-rugby musings being a case in point.

Any other nominations?

#newbridgeornowhere

Boycey

Ah feck Dinny I thought you were on about this place..

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Boycey on June 18, 2018, 02:48:33 PM
Ah feck Dinny I thought you were on about this place..
Same here and with Fearon gone I was intrigued!

Dinny Breen

ha! I would nominate seafoid and his passive agressive musings for the local shit stirrer award.
#newbridgeornowhere

oakleaflad

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 18, 2018, 02:55:50 PM
ha! I would nominate seafoid and his passive agressive musings for the local shit stirrer award.
I'd nominate yourself for that last post in the Man Utd thread  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 18, 2018, 02:55:50 PM
Enchanté, Dinny
I would say Neil Francis and Ewan McKenna
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Ah don't be mentioning MacKenna he's a lurker and will love getting a mention

trailer

He's some moaner McKenna. He's never happy about anything. If he ever got to ride a fit bird, he'd moan that he had to take his trousers off.

gallsman

Gilroy is great.

Have never bought the whole "isn't it shite our journalists don't cheerlead more" spiel.

Francis is the biggest just for his sheer snobbishness. Always get the sense he'd give anything to be 18 again and playing rugby, as if it was the be an and end all in life, other than, you know, pints of Ken and roiding birds.

Jayop

Parkinson is grand, the only shit stirring he seems to do is with Carlow and he seems to have a Brollyesque grudge for that Poacher fella.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: gallsman on June 18, 2018, 04:38:44 PM
Gilroy is great.

Have never bought the whole "isn't it shite our journalists don't cheerlead more" spiel.

Francis is the biggest just for his sheer snobbishness. Always get the sense he'd give anything to be 18 again and playing rugby, as if it was the be an and end all in life, other than, you know, pints of Ken and roiding birds.

Jesus I wouldn't hold that against him ;D
#newbridgeornowhere

gallsman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 18, 2018, 04:49:59 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 18, 2018, 04:38:44 PM
Gilroy is great.

Jesus I wouldn't hold that against him ;D

It's a wee bit sad for a man of his age though, no? (or yours, our even mine for that matter!)

It's all well to joke about etc, but Francis genuinely gives off the impression that that's the highpoint of life. Sneering gobshite of the highest order.

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 18, 2018, 02:47:14 PM
Joe Brolly?
Neil Francis?
Ewan MacKenna?
Colm Parkinson?
Eamon Dunphy?
George Hook?
Ger Gilroy?
Paul Kimmage?

Wooly and Dunphy present my two favourite podcasts, I wouldnt hear a bad word about either!

Brolly, Francis and Hook are entertainers. You wouldn't wanna take any of them seriously.

Kimmage writes some good articles. And some bad ones. The biggest arsehole on that list by far. I've heard him say a few times that after he wrote his book he was snubbed by the peloton when subsequently covering the race. He was snubbed by the peloton when he was a rider before he'd written anything!
Although maybe MacKenna is his equal given what I've heard about him. But I've never read a single word he's written and never will, so I can't have an actual opinion of my own about him.

Gilroy a bit of a dick too I think. Rarely says anything worth listening to.

Asal Mor

Parkinson is excellent. His hurling and football podcasts are great apart from Damien Hayes who is as bad an analyst as he was great a player and is full of bluster.

If you were given a Neil Francis article and a Ross O Carroll Kelly article, without the writers' names on them, you might be hard pressed to guess which was which. I don't like him but he's the only bit of rugby content I might read in the papers.

I think McKenna is genuinely brilliant though. Some of his work around the rugby world cup bid, Dublin's financial advantages and preferential treatment within the GAA, his rebuttal of the notion that rugby is no longer very elitist and Mo Farah's incredible list of links to doping were excellent, to name just a few off the top of my head. His does engage in a fair bit of trolling on Twitter but given that he winds up po-faced, self righteous types,  fair play to him on that too.

sid waddell

Neil Francis is actually a superb writer when the mood takes him, which is frequently.

His anecdotes are certainly a lot better than Joe Brolly's, and I imagine they're a lot closer to being true.