Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 14, 2018, 01:52:04 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 14, 2018, 01:44:42 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 14, 2018, 01:25:22 PM
For what it's worth, bilingual road signs (when the second language is Gaeilge) are more costly to create. There must be tens of thousands of signs across Ireland that declare Rampaí, which means signs are bigger and need more ink.

More importantly, the increased levels of text involved in bilingualism decreases the legibility of those signs, and therefore decreases their ability to deliver information instantaneously. As such they could be perceived as a distraction to drivers.... and therefore make driving more dangerous.

The opposite might apply in somewhere like Croatia, whereby their influx of tourists undoubtedly struggle with the unusual characters in their lanaguage, and providing an English language version of the message helps prevent tourists from slowing to a stop at junctions and roundabouts.

But in Ireland, where every single person who speaks Irish also speaks English, and tourists have no understanding of Irish, I do believe it's an unnecessary distraction.
The cost to the economy is minimal. DiffereNT languages have different fonts. English is in capitals. There are no coherent arguments against bilingual road signs imo.

Unionists do not want any visible sign of Irishness in their little corner of England Mar dhea.

Nationalists dont want the Orange Order with their symbols of British culture marching through Nationalists areas but you think the Unionists should have symbols of Irish culture in Unionist areas.
Who's saying that?

FWIW I drive through areas with Ulster Scots road signs (yes there are some out there) and am I offended, no?
I do get wee laugh to myself when I see the sign for the "Hard Bried Raa" in Greyabbey, f**king stupid looking

thewobbler

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 14, 2018, 01:41:00 PM
Show me studies which prove accidents are more common in the south than the north because the south have bilingual road signs. Otherwise, away with that rubbish.

There's been quite a few studies undertaken in Scotland and Wales about this and the general consensus seems to be that bilingual signs take longer to read, but as yet there is no evidence that this leads to increased levels of RTCs.

My personal feelings are that roads are dangerous enough without millisecond distractions.

I won't be lining up an I told you so should a report ever be produced to back up that feeling. But it would be helpful if people could acknowledge the simple fact that it takes people longer to read signs that are longer.

thewobbler

Quote from: StGallsGAA on February 14, 2018, 01:53:12 PM
For what it's worth, bilingual road signs (when the second language is Gaeilge) are more costly to create. There must be tens of thousands of signs across Ireland that declare Rampaí, which means signs are bigger and need more ink.

More importantly, the increased levels of text involved in bilingualism decreases the legibility of those signs, and therefore decreases their ability to deliver information instantaneously. As such they could be perceived as a distraction to drivers.... and therefore make driving more dangerous.

The opposite might apply in somewhere like Croatia, whereby their influx of tourists undoubtedly struggle with the unusual characters in their lanaguage, and providing an English language version of the message helps prevent tourists from slowing to a stop at junctions and roundabouts.

But in Ireland, where every single person who speaks Irish also speaks English, and tourists have no understanding of Irish, I do believe it's an unnecessary distraction.
Where has Arlene suggested their opposition is due to cost?

I'm not bothered about Arlene's opinions and objections to be honest.

There's potholes destroying wheels on every country road in NI at present. If cost savings can be made, they can be re applied elsewhere.

Meanwhile, try driving cross country from Naas to Drogheda without sat nav and watch how an endless series of crossroads interchange between having no signs, signs in Irish, signs in English, bilingual signs, and worst of all no common pattern in the direction they're sending you in (Navan, Drogheda and Trim will appear randomly on junctions). That to me is a much bigger issue than whether our heritage is being protected.

They're road signs. Their job is to assist the flow of traffic. They shouldn't be used as political tools or treated as monuments to nationalism. They should help get me home.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: AQMP on February 14, 2018, 01:49:51 PM

Complete and utter shite

You beat me to it
The funniest part was more Ink, Has the SF stipulated no modern graphics in replacement of signs
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Avondhu star

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 14, 2018, 02:08:45 PM

The cost to the economy is minimal. DiffereNT languages have different fonts. English is in capitals. There are no coherent arguments against bilingual road signs imo.

Unionists do not want any visible sign of Irishness in their little corner of England Mar dhea.

Nationalists dont want the Orange Order with their symbols of British culture marching through Nationalists areas but you think the Unionists should have symbols of Irish culture in Unionist areas.

Are you seriously comparing the OO with the Irish language? That's the sort of sh!te that goes on. One is a language. The other is a sectarian organisation. But you see them as equal. Jesus wept.   
Unionists will say that sf is a sectarian organisation. Neither side will concede anything and are happy to play dog in the manger
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Keyser soze

Unionists again demonstrating that NI is completely unworkable. I'm fine with that.

armaghniac

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 14, 2018, 02:34:15 PM
Unionists will say that sf is a sectarian organisation. Neither side will concede anything and are happy to play dog in the manger

The unionists have been in the manger for 500 years. Time to move over in the bed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

If you drive from Belfast to Ards, you will see signs in Ulster Scots as well as English. Snarlene doesn't seem to have an issue with that.

Some great craic on Twitter with people like Jim Allister and people explaining how e.g. Broughshane is an Irish name.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

trueblue1234

Are you seriously comparing the OO with the Irish language? That's the sort of sh!te that goes on. One is a language. The other is a sectarian organisation. But you see them as equal. Jesus wept.   

They are a political party. But anyway, that's neither here nor there. I wouldn't compare SF to the Irish Language either. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Avondhu star

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 14, 2018, 02:53:40 PM

They are a political party. But anyway, that's neither here nor there. I wouldn't compare SF to the Irish Language either.
Being a political party doesn't stop them being sectarian no more than DUP.
I didn't compare the O.O. to the Irish language. Icompared their symbols, flags banners as British symbols where Nationalists could use Road signs in Irish as Irish symbols
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Rossfan

Strange how the DUPUDA want the 6 Cos to be different to Scotland and Wales.  ;D
Yes indeed the oul hatred and bigotry showing in spades again.
Will they all leave when they discover that 90% of placenames in the 6 Cos are bad pronunciations and English phonetic spellings of Gaeilge??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

screenexile

It's exactly the way Unionists/Nationalists are proclaiming this. . . it doesn't matter that they aren't the same it's perception.

I literally could not give one f**king iota about an Irish language act. Blah blah symbolism equality etc. etc. It's bolloxology and if this is what is holding up a deal then shame on all parties. DUP should give a token in allowing Irish Language street signs in areas where requested but bollocks to the rest of it sure hardly anybody speaks it and nobody is stopping anybody from speaking it if they want to!

Get back to work!!

rosnarun

is there anything that nordies wont argue about .
seems to me that all the big issues have been resolved(apart from sovereignty) thanks to the IRA sinn fein and SDLP but you all still hate one another so you argue about anything Just to show your not going to give an inch.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

BennyCake

Jesus what a bunch of w**kers up here.

Why don't both give the other what they want, and in turn they win themselves in the long run.

SF agree to DUP requests - shows unionists that theyd be accommodated in a UI
DUP agree to SF requests - shows nationalists theyre better off in UK, and SF would have nothing to complain about. Support for a UI would diminish.

SF are pushing the ILA so far unionists will despise anything Irish even more (if thats possible) than they do already. And vice versa.

I honestly think Stormont is all about the few in both parties, lining their own pockets, feeding their egos. They don't give a flying fcuk for anyone in this hellhole. But all this shite filters down from Stormont into the general population making it an intolerable cesspit for the ordinary joe.

general_lee

Quote from: rosnarun on February 14, 2018, 03:32:29 PM
is there anything that nordies wont argue about .
seems to me that all the big issues have been resolved(apart from sovereignty) thanks to the IRA sinn fein and SDLP but you all still hate one another so you argue about anything Just to show your not going to give an inch.
I love this free stater ignorance. Even reasonable people across the political spectrum can accept that the DUP are a special case. It's not a case of not giving an inch, it's s case of having bigoted insular right-wing British nationalists block anything that doesn't conform to their vision of a traditional, white, Christian, Protestant, British Northern Ireland. Unfortunately people in their droves (and by people I mean working class Protestants) vote these clowns in based on a shared love of an outdated sense of loyalty to a monarchy that doesn't even care about them, despite the fact the DUP will do next to nothing for these communities unless is some form of benefit in it for their party.

Sinn Féin actually work for the communities they represent (Loyalists will tell you this in envy) and whatever about their past (let's not forget Unionist parties aren't squeaky clean either) have made genuine efforts to reach out to Unionism. Unionism can't even bear the thought of legislative recognition of the Irish language and instead retreat into this pathetic accusation of "cultural supremacy"; something they wrote the f**king book on!