Coat Of Arms

Started by joebloggs, May 10, 2007, 11:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joebloggs

Anyone know where ya can find out what your coat of arms is?

Lecale2

The Real Laoislad

Just type your surname along with the word family crest into google :o
You'll Never Walk Alone.

joebloggs

looking for mcelvanna and nothing comes up

stephenite

Quote from: joebloggs on May 10, 2007, 11:39:45 PM
looking for mcelvanna and nothing comes up

Maybe the name doesn't have one - no disrespect intended but some Irish surnames do not have one as they weren't considered important enough back in the day or didn't own enough land, according to some article in the Tribune about a year ago.

There is (or maybe was) a guy who sells these on the top floor of the Stephens Green centre in Dublin but apparently he's a chancer who just makes it up as he goes along and the one you receive might well be historically incorrect - but as it's mainly Yankee tourists who buy them it makes no odds apparently

Orior

Quote from: Lecale2 on May 10, 2007, 11:25:55 PM
no

Lecale, when you watch Crimewatch, and when the presenter shows a photo of a robber and asks if you know the person, do you phone in and say no?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Ah Orior, that made me laugh. lol
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on May 11, 2007, 12:26:42 AM
... when you watch Crimewatch, and when the presenter shows a photo of a robber and asks if you know the person, do you phone in and say no?

No

realredhandfan

www.genealogy.ie or any of the IFHF centres can supply details.  Beware you are into heridtry now, technically only one family owns each coat of arms and you have to research your bloodline back to a clan.  Interesting stuff but most Irish families cant.  A new coat of arms can be created but that costs a fortune.  You are safer buying a key ring and saying its yours anyway.