Thread for Tony Fearon to to pontificate about Catholicism

Started by heganboy, September 12, 2017, 01:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger95

Quote from: T Fearon on September 12, 2017, 10:50:00 PM
I believe.There's millions like me.Simple as that

Truest thing Tony has ever said. He believes, and he is impervious to argument otherwise. That is his right. I don't think we had to have an entire thread to make fun of his faith.

When his faith leads him to make statements that others find objectionable, re same sex marriage, paedophilia in the church etc it's all well and good to ask him to justify how that faith effects other people, often to their detriment, and to ask him how his understanding of faith intersects with Christ's teachings.

And it may be that we find his faith priggish, self righteous, the whitest of the sepulchres that Christ spoke of.

But it is his, and slagging him off for the basic fact of it is unnecessary and small.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 13, 2017, 07:53:08 AM
My wee girl was doing her homework last night and she says 'daddy what was the Big Bang theory?'  I started doing my none science best to explain it in layman terms before resorting to the all knowing google for a more definitive answer. I asked why were you doing it in Science?  Says she , no, we are doing it in religion. Apparently God created the Big Bang and after all that he then took his 7 days to create the earth....Jesus Wept says I(pun intended). Bugger religion and its falsehoods.
Proper order bc, and while you're at it, bugger Steven Hawking and every other cosmologist you can think of also.
I mean Tony says, "God created the world. That is, he made it out of nothing."
But Steven says, "He did on me arse, the world created itself. Matter appeared from nowhere and this is happening all the time."
I don't think much of any religion I have come across but the alternatives aren't up to much either.
I can just about tag along with the Big Bang theory, right up to the time, 13.8 billion years ago apparently, when cosmologists tell us the whole craic started. But I'd like to know what the situation was like 13.9 billion years ago.
Heck, I'm not that hard to please. Just what was there one microsecond before someone/somebody lit the fuse or pressed the switch to set it off will do me fine.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on September 13, 2017, 09:56:08 AM
So who did start the Big Bang then?
I'd say nobody said that the Earth was  literally created in seven days in that class, unless Nelson McCausland was teaching it.

I agree that it is a conundrum what was pre-big band and I dont have the answer....the lesson did however proceed on the basis that it was a 7 day turnaround for the whole creation business.

AhNowRef

I'd say nobody said that the Earth was  literally created in seven days in that class, unless Nelson McCausland was teaching it.

Yep, thats kinda what I always say to 100% athiests who recite the "science proves religion doesnt exist" theory .... I dont see why belief in a God/higher power or in science have to be mutually exclusive ?

I would in no way pander to the crackpot fundamentalist (pedophile facilitating excuser) religious views of the retched fearon but I do sit somewhere between Agnostic & believer .... and the % changes on a daily basis :-/ ....

Ive come to the conclusion that Im just about smart enough to know that Im not smart enough to know .. in my view, anyone who is 100% either way (athiest or believer) is a cretin .....  (edit, or else theyve had a visitation and I havent had one yet  :o  lol )

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 13, 2017, 10:39:06 AM

Truest thing Tony has ever said. He believes, and he is impervious to argument otherwise. That is his right. I don't think we had to have an entire thread to make fun of his faith.

When his faith leads him to make statements that others find objectionable, re same sex marriage, paedophilia in the church etc it's all well and good to ask him to justify how that faith effects other people, often to their detriment, and to ask him how his understanding of faith intersects with Christ's teachings.

And it may be that we find his faith priggish, self righteous, the whitest of the sepulchres that Christ spoke of.

But it is his, and slagging him off for the basic fact of it is unnecessary and small.

Agreed, but if you're on gaaboard.com opening up a thread & posting stuff about Jacob Rees-Mogg before 08:00 on a Saturday morning, now that is seriously worrying, in my view.

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 13, 2017, 10:39:06 AM

Here is a good one about faith. Indian guru is dead and body is in a freezer. Believers say he is in a very deep state of meditation called samadhi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldfc68bxlB8

It goes to court

The court is unwilling to intervene in the sacred territory of personal faith and beliefs and is not competent to distinguish between a naturally dead body and a body in samadhi. The guru can stay in the freezer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-4667324/Indian-gurus-body-stay-freezer-says-court.html

TF can believe all he wants about Virgin births and life after death but he can't stop gay people getting married or action against clerical child rape if there is a political majority. Faith is personal. It is not coercive

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 13, 2017, 11:14:24 AM
Proper order bc, and while you're at it, bugger Steven Hawking and every other cosmologist you can think of also.

But Steven says, "He did on me arse, the world created itself. Matter appeared from nowhere and this is happening all the time."
I haven't read everything Prof. Hawking has written, but I haven't seen him quoted thus. I'm pretty sure he would say simply that we don't know what, if anything preceded the Big Bang.

I don't think it's a question that will easily be answered, but most sensible people see the logical fallacy in the God of the Gaps proposition, which assumes that everything we don't (yet) know is necessarily explained by God. The problem is, God is becoming more and more idle and redundant as we discover how the world works.

What was there before the Big Bang may be unimaginable but eventually mathematically explicable. That wouldn't be a unique state of affairs. Try imagining or visualising an imaginary number or a complex number. Yet, for example, we wouldn't have our electricity supply, much less computers without the mathematical explanation of them.

Or what about the wave/particle duality of light. Completely unimaginable but quite simply explicable for practical purposes. Like wise the Uncertainty Principle and quantum mechanics in general.

We're not as far along in understanding the mind, but all available research is pointing to the mind being the manifestation of the physical firing of neurons and no doubt we'll get there eventually and give God another six months of the year off all in one go.

He'll still be clocking in for a few minutes every few months, though to attend to the people who confuse science and philosophy, which is where nearly all of his work is concentrated these days. Science has made fairly good strides with the "How" question in the last 400 years. The philosophers have been at it for millennia with the "Why" question and they're still no further on. It's a harder question, though the answer may be simple.

haranguerer

The point about science and religion not being mutually exclusive is true, but the point is that religion loses a lot of its lustre when, after insisting in fairly inflexible terms that this is the truth and the only way, it rushes back to reinvent itself with each new major scientific discovery which proves what it has said thus far to be nonsense.

The fact is, none of us know, science admits it and points to logical likelihoods, religion insists it does know and if everyone else doesn't agree with it they're doomed.

seafoid

Hardy I  think social sophistication is a very thin reed against which to lean . The clitoris has gone in and out of scientific knowledge over the centuries depending on how curious the culture is. It was known about in the middle ages but was then forgotten about for example. Ovulation  was discovered by man and documented by science  in the 1870's. Human groups are stupid generally. Religion is like dogshit. It will always be there. People will always walk into it. It is very hard to get out of trousers.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AhNowRef

Quote from: haranguerer on September 13, 2017, 02:38:04 PM
The point about science and religion not being mutually exclusive is true, but the point is that religion loses a lot of its lustre when, after insisting in fairly inflexible terms that this is the truth and the only way, it rushes back to reinvent itself with each new major scientific discovery which proves what it has said thus far to be nonsense.

The fact is, none of us know, science admits it and points to logical likelihoods, religion insists it does know and if everyone else doesn't agree with it they're doomed.

and thats why Ive personally come to the conclusion that Im just about smart enough to know that Im not smart enough to know .. either way (and neither is anyone else)..

What some people call "God" is possibly what other people call the "unknown" in all of this....

Eamonnca1

Loaded question. Pre-supposes that it was started by a person. Somehow I doubt there was an old white-haired dude in a white frock sitting on a cloud and pressing a button.

They did before the origins of planets was understood.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 13, 2017, 11:14:24 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 13, 2017, 07:53:08 AM
My wee girl was doing her homework last night and she says 'daddy what was the Big Bang theory?'  I started doing my none science best to explain it in layman terms before resorting to the all knowing google for a more definitive answer. I asked why were you doing it in Science?  Says she , no, we are doing it in religion. Apparently God created the Big Bang and after all that he then took his 7 days to create the earth....Jesus Wept says I(pun intended). Bugger religion and its falsehoods.
I don't think much of any religion I have come across but the alternatives aren't up to much either.
I can just about tag along with the Big Bang theory, right up to the time, 13.8 billion years ago apparently, when cosmologists tell us the whole craic started. But I'd like to know what the situation was like 13.9 billion years ago.
Heck, I'm not that hard to please. Just what was there one microsecond before someone/somebody lit the fuse or pressed the switch to set it off will do me fine.

It wasn't so long ago that we didn't know about the Big Bang. The Cosmic Background Radiation is a bit hard to explain without it.

Science has always pushed the frontiers of knowledge. With every question that gets answered another dozen questions pop up. And God usually retreats every time that happens. People used to think God caused earthquakes before plate-tectonics was understood. People used to think God caused thunder and lightening before electricity and atmospheric conditions were understood. People used to think God caused rain before weather was understood. The "science can't answer this ergo God did it" is a weak position to take since it keeps getting knocked back every time.

T Fearon

Getting way too complicated.Quite simply my religious faith is simply based on the fact that Jesus Christ lived,died,and rose again,and this gives some purpose to another wise finite biological span.Now I know people will say that Jesus existence cannot be technically proved.However I feel that if this was some sort of fairytale it wouldn't have survived into its third millennium.

If at the end I have been wrong I still have lost nothing.

Eamonnca1

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...