Apple's data centre in Athenry

Started by Maroon Manc, October 12, 2017, 11:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

Syferus, you familiar with the game show over here in the U.S called Jeopardy ? Great money in it.  I think you'd make a killing . I've never met anyone that knows as much about everything, as you do .....😉

seafoid

The official reason given is planning. Apple wanted all those servers to run algorithms on the personal data of hundreds of millions of iPhone users. The EU recently introduced privacy laws to protect the data of  citizens . That is more likely to be the reason apple pulled out.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/apr/19/facebook-moves-15bn-users-out-of-reach-of-new-european-privacy-law
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Quote from: Itchy on May 11, 2018, 12:05:16 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 10, 2018, 10:52:24 AM
Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Mayo, Midlands. .... would love to get such a facility.
However multinationals seem only interested in being in or near Dublin, Cork, Limerick,  Galway and Dundalk.

I think the multinationals are simply not being brought to these places. Galway is a p***k of a place to start a  new multinational. Hard to get people, shit traffic.

Exactly. The companies that are there presently are struggling to keep their own staff as it's so easy for someone to move next door and get more money. And as for the traffic? Nightmare.

Rossfan

Quote from: cadhlancian on May 11, 2018, 04:50:59 AM
Syferus, ....... I've never met anyone that knows as much about everything, as you do .....😉

;D :D
And still they gazed and still the wonder grew
That one small head could carry all he (thought he) knew.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Syferus, you familiar with the game show over here in the U.S called Jeopardy ? Great money in it.  I think you'd make a killing . I've never met anyone that knows as much about everything, as you do .....😉

This is literally part of my profession. You really managed to choose to worst time imaginable to pull that card.

If you actually understand what a server farm needs to operate effectively you'd know well that locations he mentioned aren't even close to being able to support one. Try not to be a dick next time.

cadhlancian

😎😎😎😎😎
More of a general comment on your knowiness of all things .....

The Wedger

Quote from: Syferus on May 11, 2018, 05:24:14 PM

This is literally part of my profession. You really managed to choose to worst time imaginable to pull that card.

If you actually understand what a server farm needs to operate effectively you'd know well that locations he mentioned aren't even close to being able to support one. Try not to be a dick next time.
What does Athenry have that somewhere in Roscommon doesn't have?

armaghniac

Quote from: The Wedger on May 11, 2018, 10:08:26 PM

Athenry is near the a junction between two motorways and one of the major nodes on the high voltage transmission network.
Roscommon doesn't even lie on a National Primary road, and isn't an important node on the grid.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: The Wedger on May 11, 2018, 10:08:26 PM

The bandwidth to support a server farm. Not to get too technical but a server, well, serves and hosts data to webpages, apps, personal information, pretty much anything to do with a computer interacts with or is itself hosted on a server. A useable server needs super fast, low latency multi-channel broadband. A server that is constricted by its own internet connection is a totally pointless enterprise.

Any area in Roscommon bar maybe Athlone has the sort of internet infrastructure that is years behind most large towns, and the roll out of broadband that would be needed to service a site alone would be far more than it would have been to get the same thing done in Athenry, no matter what their current level of internet service is.

And that's only one single reason why Roscommon and most midland counties were never runners for this facility, no matter how much Rossfan or Itchy want to pretend otherwise it's not a conspiracy or out of ignorance or indifference to 'rural Ireland'.

You can argue that broadband infrastructure should be better in those areas but that's another topic entirely.

Armaghniac would want to look at a road map if he thinks Roscommon isn't on a national primary road, though.

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on May 11, 2018, 10:28:43 PM
Armaghniac would want to look at a road map if he thinks Roscommon isn't on a national primary road, though.

I am referring to the town, not the county.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mouview

Quote from: Itchy on May 11, 2018, 12:05:16 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 10, 2018, 10:52:24 AM
Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Mayo, Midlands. .... would love to get such a facility.
However multinationals seem only interested in being in or near Dublin, Cork, Limerick,  Galway and Dundalk.

I think the multinationals are simply not being brought to these places. Galway is a p***k of a place to start a  new multinational. Hard to get people, shit traffic.

In this case, Apple was setting up out in Athenry, very convenient to 2 motorways, thus making a commute very viable from as far afield as Limerick, Claremorris, Athlone etc. I'm sure many would prefer to work in Galway now than Dublin for one e.g.