Hurling tekkers

Started by Bord na Mona man, May 09, 2017, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 26, 2017, 10:12:57 AM
One memory I have of him was in 1998 I think when Offaly derailed Wexford going for 3 in a row in Leinster. The goal he scored at the death kinda robbed Wexford. I was behind the goal he scored into (Canal I think) and very few people knew what had happened. The ball broke outside the square and he had it whipped to the net out of nothing.
It was Johnny Dooley who scored that one into Hill 16. Though you'd have done well to have seen who got it.

But, you were right that Offaly were 2 points down with time almost up, so Brian Whelahan had to drop a 65 into the square. About a dozen players were tussling for it when Dooley whipped it through the crowd into the net.

I was behind the goal and the first anyone knew about it was seeing the net shaking. There were plenty of similarities to Seamus Darby in 1982, not least the exact same final score (1-15 to 0-17).

With the 1798 commemorations, a lot of people were certain this was going to be Wexford's year. The talk was of a Wexford-Clare dream final, being the two breakthrough counties of the era. The  Wexford crowd were devastated at the final whistle.

Tyrdub

had the "pleasure" of playing against that great Offaly team at both minor and senior, serious outfit