Government about to fall

Started by stephenite, May 06, 2007, 06:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Dublinfella, clarify or retract that statement about Brian Cowen. Where is there any suggestion that he is an alcoholic?

Hardy

Aye - I was struck by the contrast between Vincent Browne's forensic examination of the issues and the Sky bloke's "Is you a crook, innit?".

AZOffaly - don't have unrealistic expectations of someone who aligns himself with an outfit rejoicing in the name "Shamrock Rovers Ultras" and supports the display of obscene, abusive and offensive banners at a so-called sporting occasion.

Declan

I thought Rabitte's quote about McDowell been so far up Bertie's a...norak was the soundbite of the campaign so far. Perfect delivery

stephenite

C'mon Dublinfella - withdraw that (unless you've got solid proof)

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on May 09, 2007, 07:07:45 AM
C'mon Dublinfella - withdraw that (unless you've got solid proof)

I don't have solid proof (how can you) but he is well renowned for his whiskey sessions and it has been mentioned many times in the media.

Well known for propping up the dail bar and hotels bars in D2 well into the night etc.

This cannot be news to people.

AZOffaly

Calling a man an alcoholic is an extremely serious statement to make about someone who enjoys the odd session, no more than the rest of us.

I think you should withdraw it, as it is probably libellous.

dublinfella

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 11, 2007, 04:11:28 PM
Calling a man an alcoholic is an extremely serious statement to make about someone who enjoys the odd session, no more than the rest of us.

I think you should withdraw it, as it is probably libellous.

ill withdraw it as i cant 'prove' it, but are you trying to tell me his image isnt inextricibly linked to booze and in fact played up on it himself? the rumour is there and its strong, thats all i'll say.

I note there wasnt a call for the withdrawl of the claim that the FF TD's supporting Rovers are corrupt

AZOffaly

I didn't see that claim. However it's very easy and trite to claim someone is an alcoholic simply because they enjoy the odd session, and happen to be in the public eye.

It has never been claimed anywhere else, to my knowledge, that Brian Cowen is an alcoholic. I know he is a 'bon vivant' and enjoys good craic and good company. He is universally popular among politicians and non-politicians, even sworn political enemies.

It's too easy to put labels on easy targets like Cowen, but it is still wrong.

Anyhow, since you've withdrawn the allegation, albeit with the usual reference to 'rumour' that seems to be your stock in trade, I'll stop badgering you about it.

dublinfella

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 11, 2007, 04:19:23 PM
I didn't see that claim. However it's very easy and trite to claim someone is an alcoholic simply because they enjoy the odd session, and happen to be in the public eye.

It has never been claimed anywhere else, to my knowledge, that Brian Cowen is an alcoholic. I know he is a 'bon vivant' and enjoys good craic and good company. He is universally popular among politicians and non-politicians, even sworn political enemies.

It's too easy to put labels on easy targets like Cowen, but it is still wrong.

Anyhow, since you've withdrawn the allegation, albeit with the usual reference to 'rumour' that seems to be your stock in trade, I'll stop badgering you about it.

ill leave it there too, but you will hear this 'rumour' a lot more if/when there is a leadership race in FF....

resdubwhite

dublinfella

there are lots of rumours out there about politicians in this country.

All of us have had the good grace not to mention them.

Poor show.

deiseach

Quote from: resdubwhite on May 11, 2007, 04:29:40 PM
dublinfella

there are lots of rumours out there about politicians in this country.

All of us have had the good grace not to mention them.

Poor show.

Don't you mean 'rumours'?