Pick your team> Kinahans or Hutches ?

Started by seafoid, February 09, 2016, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on February 09, 2016, 01:40:47 PM
Middleclass drug consumption is the reason the gangs exist

Correct and right. But no matter how often you say that, people don't seem to understand. Supply and Demand. If there's no demand, the supply would dry up.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Franko on February 09, 2016, 01:58:44 PM
As per usual, Kenny's making himself look like a total twat over the whole affair.

He does that when he gets up the morning.

Hardy

general_lee

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2016, 01:34:01 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on February 09, 2016, 01:32:46 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2016, 01:27:41 PM
By the way, Is there any credibility that the Contos actually did this? Are they aligned with one of the gangs? It seems very convenient coming up to an election that the establishment parties have another stick to wave at Sinn Fein.

By the way, Sinn Fein wanting to remove the Special Criminal Courts before an election is one of the daftest political statements ever. Who does their PR?

I wouldn't agree with it either but do-gooders like Amnesty and Mary Robinson agree with Sinn Fein on this.

I know they do. But it seems common sense to me that if you cannot guarantee the safety of the jury or witnesses, then it has to be in a closed court, with a judge presiding.
Video links would be the obvious solution I would have thought.

Zulu

Legalising cannabis would take it out of the gangs as well and though it was never my thing I can't se how using that is worse than drink.

Didn't the American's nullify the Mafia through changing some of the laws, so why can't we bring in special laws to deal with organised crime like they did?

Franko

Quote from: Franko on February 09, 2016, 01:58:44 PM
As per usual, Kenny's making himself look like a total twat over the whole affair.

PS.

Before I'm accused of being a 'cheerleader for SF' or some such, (the standard response to criticism of Kenny seems to be to say something bad, point at Gerry Adams and accuse the poster of being a SF lackey) the proposal to abolish the SCC is nonsensical IMO.

AZOffaly

That's the prohibition argument Zulu, and I can understand the logic also. However, I would never be in favour of inherently destructive drugs like cocaine and heroin being legalised. Is legalising Cannabis just exposing (potentially) a wider user base to the possibility of moving onto the next drug after a while.

Hardy

The only reason the "next drug" concept exists is because all these supposedly progressively linked drugs have in common is that they're illegal. There is no reason in the world that using cannabis would predispose one to experiment with cocaine or heroin.

Nobody says alcohol use should be criminalised because it exposes a wider user base to the possibility of moving on to nicotine*.

*By far the most deadly drug.

Franko

Quote from: Rossfan on February 09, 2016, 01:56:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 09, 2016, 01:40:47 PM
Middleclass drug consumption is the reason the gangs exist
+1.
The same well heeled cnuts who keep giving out about criminality/gangs etc.

Have either of you got any stats to back this up?  If not, I'm gonna call bullshit.

I'd guess that there's as many of these drugs end up in inner-city slums as do in middle-class suburbia but in the absence of any evidence I'm not gonna make bold statements.

Zulu

Don't think there is any scientific evidence to support the link between cannabis and harder drugs. There's hundreds of thousands of social cannabis users in the world and plenty of them never use harder drugs. I'm sure plenty do too but then plenty of drinkers use hard drugs too so I don't think you cannily cannabis to harder drugs.

I wouldn't have strong views on legalising drugs but I would put every repeat violent criminal in a shallow grave and cover over in the morning.

tv pundit

Are the hutches involved in drug dealing ?
I remember reading one of Paul Williams books who stated that gerry hutch was anti drugs

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on February 09, 2016, 02:19:40 PM
The only reason the "next drug" concept exists is because all these supposedly progressively linked drugs have in common is that they're illegal. There is no reason in the world that using cannabis would predispose one to experiment with cocaine or heroin.

Nobody says alcohol use should be criminalised because it exposes a wider user base to the possibility of moving on to nicotine*.

is that true Hardy? Does the 'buzz' not get weaker after a while, and people want to try something else, be that LSD, cocaine or whatever?  This is from the Guardian, and certainly would suggest a link, however tenuous, in that most hard drug users would have experimented with Cannabis first, although obviously not all cannabis users go onto the harder stuff. They do suggest it is unusual for a drug user to jump straight into hard drugs.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/sifting-the-evidence/2015/mar/03/is-cannabis-a-gateway-drug

quit yo jibbajabba

I picked a good time to start watchin me box set of Love/Hate methinks;

that's about all I have to say on the subject

seafoid

Why is it all blowing up now?  It is like Romeo and Juliet
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2016, 02:41:28 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 09, 2016, 02:19:40 PM

is that true Hardy? Does the 'buzz' not get weaker after a while, and people want to try something else, be that LSD, cocaine or whatever?  This is from the Guardian, and certainly would suggest a link, however tenuous, in that most hard drug users would have experimented with Cannabis first, although obviously not all cannabis users go onto the harder stuff. They do suggest it is unusual for a drug user to jump straight into hard drugs.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/sifting-the-evidence/2015/mar/03/is-cannabis-a-gateway-drug

I don't think there's any "buzz" related connection between cannabis and hard drugs. I don't think the effects of cannabis are  at all similar to those of the harder drugs, which, in turn, are not similar to each other.

People who take drugs of any kind are probably more likely to try drugs of other kinds. I'm not looking it up now, but I'm sure I've read that there are far fewer non-drinking smokers than smokers who drink. I think the only gateway effect is the psychological gateway between legal and illegal drugs. And I think that exists more in the minds of commentators and observers than it does in those of users of drugs.

You never hear anyone saying cocaine is a gateway drug for heroin, for instance. More to the point, you'll probably find that a very, very large percentage of cocaine users will have smoked nicotine and drunk alcohol before using cocaine. But nobody says alcohol is a gateway drug for cocaine. Why? Only because it's not illegal to take alcohol.