Author Topic: A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.  (Read 76570 times)

BennyCake

• View Profile
Re: A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.
« Reply #1410 on: September 14, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »
The sovereign 26 Counties voted to join the EU in 1972 or whenever.
If we ever leave it will be because we voted to leave.
The 6 Cos votes to stay in the EU but won't be let.
Tony still stuck in 1992 when we were a poorer EU Country and got the famous Structural and Infrastructural Funds spread over 9 years.
We are no longer one of the poorer ones and now contribute to help the  poorer States in the East.
Great to be part of a mutual self help outward looking Co -op of Sovereign States.

Of course the 6 counties won't be let. It was a UK wide vote, and that includes the 6 counties.

You almost boast about that. Seriously, why would you give a flying fcuk about poorer states in the East when the same EU screwed Ireland (and other countries) over, and will continue to do so for many years?

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: September 14, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »
So the South doesn't get billions of the EU? I remember Albert Reynolds well over 20 years ago boasting of the 8bn package he'd negotiated with the EU. Up to then the whole of Cavan was notorious for potholes
What is the issue here Tony other than you winding up our fellow countrymen.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 14, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »
The point is that without EU subventions the South would still be an exporter of people and very little else.Less than 10 years ago it went bust,it has no sovereignty over its laws,immigration etc.It is in thrall to a neighbouring island's decision to leave the EU.These are not the hallmarks of a truly independent self financing nation.

Don't get me wrong.I admire the innovation down South (Ryanair etc) and the ability to get things done,but it is not a truly independent nation sadly.

No nation can be in the EU and be independent at the same time. The sooner the Irish government realise that and tell the EU to get fcuked, the better.

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: September 14, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »
There are no truly independent nations anymore we are all interdependent.

Franko

• View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: September 14, 2017, 11:53:22 AM »
The point is that without EU subventions the South would still be an exporter of people and very little else.Less than 10 years ago it went bust,it has no sovereignty over its laws,immigration etc.It is in thrall to a neighbouring island's decision to leave the EU.These are not the hallmarks of a truly independent self financing nation.

Don't get me wrong.I admire the innovation down South (Ryanair etc) and the ability to get things done,but it is not a truly independent nation sadly.

Your first point is just an opinion.  I guarantee you've got no facts to back this up (barring a link to some news news article about a road being built somewhere).

The rest of what you say would apply absolutely equally to ANY other EU nation.  By your logic, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, The Netherlands etc etc. are all non-sovereign states.  More tosh.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 14, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »
The ROI is as self governing as Austria, Italy, Belgium, Latvia, Bulgaria,   Lithuania, Croatia, Luxembourg, Cyprus,   Malta, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, Estonia,    Portugal, Finland, Romania, France, Slovakia, Germany, Slovenia, Greece, Spain, Hungary, Sweden.

Which is pretty much the majority of civilised places in the World. We could be like North Korea, but I'd rather not.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 14, 2017, 01:19:49 PM »
Dunno about that.......we could certainly give the Japs a fair bit to think about, if we start whizzing rockets over their heads daily as well.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #1417 on: September 14, 2017, 01:40:57 PM »
BennyCake would seem to be all for becoming another North Korea.
2017 Double Connacht Champions

vallankumous

• View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 14, 2017, 01:45:31 PM »

No nation can be in the EU and be independent at the same time. The sooner the Irish government realise that and tell the EU to get fcuked, the better.

Independence is always fluid.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 14, 2017, 03:11:04 PM »

The whole point of being independent is so that you can do things which benefit you, including joining the EU.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 14, 2017, 03:36:52 PM »

The whole point of being independent is so that you can do things which benefit you, including joining the EU.
I think the EU is okay Under a system that works for workers such as  Keynesianism. Under a plutocracy it is dangerous
the EU doesn't have bank recap or a lender of last resort. the people who designed it didn't think they would require a fire brigde.
"you can try and intimidate us, but f**k youse, we're going to win an All-Ireland anyway"

vallankumous

• View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: September 14, 2017, 03:54:11 PM »

[/quote]

Firstly you need to decide what level of independence you want.
The Brits are struggling with this at the minute. They decided on Brexit towards further independence before they decided how much or how little further they wanted.

heganboy

• well hello there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: September 14, 2017, 05:14:35 PM »

Yo genius, give me an example of a "of a truly independent self financing nation."
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: September 14, 2017, 05:34:05 PM »

I think the EU is okay Under a system that works for workers such as  Keynesianism. Under a plutocracy it is dangerous
the EU doesn't have bank recap or a lender of last resort. the people who designed it didn't think they would require a fire brigde.

Isn't this the ECB for the Eurozone and the national central banks for non-Eurozone members?

T Fearon

• View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: September 15, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
There is no escaping the following

1.Without membership of or subordination to the Uk and EU respectively,neither NI or ROI are viable economic entities.

2.In return for that membership/subordination neither NI or ROI has the autonomy to make its own laws (to serve as a priority its own people), to control its own borders (and shortly to prevent the imposition of a border in Ireland that no substantial portion of the people North and South,want),and in the case of ROI,doesn't even have its own national currency.