Mountain Climbing in Ireland

Started by venter, April 12, 2007, 12:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

venter

I think there might have been a thread on this already?

Anyways, I have a question. Where is the best point to start a climb of Mweelrea mountain in Mayo. I will be approaching it from Leenane.

Cheers!

Hardy

I always find it's best to start at the bottom.

(Sorry)

Mayo4Sam

There is a spot to start it from on the leenane side, i dont know about that one
From the other side, drive as far as louisburgh and instead of turning right into the town go left for silver strand, about 10 miles, straight all the way. The starting point is about 100 yards up from silver strand, just past a yellow house, you'll usually find cars parked on a patch of grass for the beach, stop there and head up a broken concrete road. As u go up keep to the left of a dark rock mass to the left of the peak, its the easiest and shortest way up.
Sorry these dorections won't make proper sense till you see what i'm talking about but i climbed it saturday on one of the clearest days ever and the views are savage, these dont do justice to it

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Armagh4SamAgain

'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Mayo4Sam

Taken from the top of Mwellrea last saturday
Its the highest peak in connaught and on the galway mayo border. You can see killary harbour, the 12 pins and clew bay from the top

J70

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: venter on April 12, 2007, 12:56:10 PM
I think there might have been a thread on this already?

Anyways, I have a question. Where is the best point to start a climb of Mweelrea mountain in Mayo. I will be approaching it from Leenane.

Cheers!

Would love to climb it, but never have. I think these are the details you are looking for venter, taken directly from The Mountains of Ireland, by Paddy Dillon. From the description, it appears to be other side of the mountain from Mayo4Sam's path, i.e. the Doo Lough side (I think), e.g. Mayo4Sam's third photo.

Start/Finish:  Delphi Adventure Centre

Getting There:  Delphi Adventure Centre is on the R335 road between Aasleagh Falls and Louisburgh.

Walk out onto the boggy moorland at the back of the Delphi Adventure Centre. A path runs alongside a fence, then is later confined to a boggy strip of tussocky grass between the fence and a river. The fence encloses a forestry plantation, and once clear of this, it's possible to take any line across a broad, boggy area of grass. This is all difficult, tussocky stuff, with Mweelrea rising nearby, yet never seeming to draw nearer. The ascent starts from the level, boggy grassland and you ahould aim for the ridge well to the left of Mweelrea. Follow a stream uphill at first, then bear left from it to reach a gap on the ridge. Although the ascent is steep, the ground becomes easier to walk as height is gained and a path can be followed. The path stays close to the ege of a cliff for the final pull up to the summit. There is a cairn on the peaty top and it's worth recording that this is the highest point in County Mayo and the Province of Connacht. Views take in the mountains of Connemara across the inlet of Killary Harbour, plus many more distant ranges throughout the west of Ireland.

dodo

Fair play Mayo4Sam. Bringing back great memories of me youth. You just can't beat the west for scenery.

realredhandfan

Is this hillwalking as opposed to mountain climbing?

venter

Cheers for that Rufus! Exactly what I was looking for. You wont beat this board for information.
Good pics Mayo4sam. I'm going to do it tomorrow morning if the weather is good. I'll bring the camera as well.

Mentalman

Rufus' directions are spot on. Been up a few times, trying different routes, and that is the best from Leenane. Excellent pics Mayo4Sam, spectacular views from up there alright, out to sea and down to the lake. Unfortunately never really got a clear day for it, they are fairly rare around there. Whatever you do Venter don't attempt to take her head on from Delphi, can be tempting, but it gets very steep, and turns more into climbing than hillwalking at that point - learned this to my peril one day, with a numbnuts of a "friend" leading the charge. Was fair tired by the end of that day I can tell ya! :)
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

aontroim abu

climbing  this mountain in June, cant wait now.
climbing Lugnaquilla, Carrantohill, Mweelrea and Slieve Donard as a fundraiser for Action Cancer all in 36 hours

Mayo4Sam

For action cancer or focus ireland AA?
I'm doing the exact same for focus ireland

aontroim abu

doing it for Action Cancer M4S. 7+8 June

Mayo4Sam

Same weekend we're doing it! What order?
we're Kerry, Mayo, Down & Wicklow