Flag protesters cause postponement of top Of the table Irish League game.

Started by T Fearon, February 16, 2013, 04:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranch

Nigel Dodds MP and Nelson McCausland MLA said: (North Belfast MP and MLA respectively)

"It is deeply regrettable that today's match at Seaview was postponed.

A lot of work had gone on between the two clubs, local residents and police in order to allow the match to go ahead in ...a peaceful atmosphere.

Unfortunately this afternoon's events have disrupted this good work and spoiled what should have been simply a great day of sport enjoyed by football supporters.

One of our Councillors Guy Spence was present on the ground, along with Cllr Lydia Paterson and other community representatives, trying to help keep the situation as calm and peaceful as possible. This was because of the previous history of difficulties caused by a small number of Cliftonville fans walking down Skegoneill Avenue behaving badly and offensively towards local residents.

There is video evidence of police acting aggressively towards Cllr Spence and of him being struck by police. Others who also tried to help have complained of police heavy handed tactics and needless aggression by police.

We will be following these issues up with police urgently this evening and in the coming days."

Cllr Spence added:

"I was present throughout the afternoon on the Shore Road in order to try to ensure that there was no trouble and that things would remain as calm as possible. When police were pushing people back I was struck by a police baton as I tried to lift a lady who had fallen back onto her feet. I was also struck by one police officer as I tried to speak to the police inspector after the arrest of a local community worker."

Yeah boys, blame the fenians!

T Fearon

The irony is that up to last year (until one of th clubs ceased to exist) Celtic and Rangers fans in Glasgow,were able to freely attend fixtures at each other's stadia, due to effective policing,that is a crowd of 50,000 at Ibrox and 60,000 at Celtic Park,approximately 20 times the attendance at Seaview today.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Apparently it's all a ploy to take attention away from the ira shooting in north belfast ::)  or so says some "knowledgable" guy on twitter.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: michaelg on February 16, 2013, 08:34:58 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 16, 2013, 08:12:36 PM
At least 50 afternoons were ruined this afternoon as a result of these actions. 22 players, 8 backroom staff, 4 officials, 1 ticket collector, and unknown number of supporters, estimated at 15.
I'd imagine crowd would have been about 2000 or so
2000 Holy God. There was a crowd of 4000 at the Macrory Cup quarter final between St Paul's and the Abbey CBS in Newry last week
Careful now

T Fearon

armaghmaniac,there's massive money spent on policing flag protests,or not policing flag protests

ranch

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 17, 2013, 12:19:49 AM
At least 50 afternoons were ruined this afternoon as a result of these actions. 22 players, 8 backroom staff, 4 officials, 1 ticket collector, and unknown number of supporters, estimated at 15.
2000 Holy God. There was a crowd of 4000 at the Macrory Cup quarter final between St Paul's and the Abbey CBS in Newry last week

And how's that relevant? By the way I was at the St. Pal's game, 4000 is a very generous estimate.

Milltown Row2

I noticed Carl Frampton and Paddy Barnes in Seaview yesterday, although Tony probably seen him at the fleg protest first......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: ranch on February 17, 2013, 09:56:05 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 17, 2013, 12:19:49 AM

And how's that relevant? By the way I was at the St. Pal's game, 4000 is a very generous estimate.
it was just an observation that's all. Have you asked armaghniac a similar question?
Careful now

stew

Quote from: SHEEDY on February 16, 2013, 09:24:45 PM
crusaders were expecting their biggest crowd of the season. PSNI are a joke to allow this to happen.

They have, and always have been a joke, useless, toothless, spineless fcukers.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

T Fearon

They're not all bad! One of them decked a DUP councillor yesterday! To get such an opportunity is in itself,a worthy reason to consider joining the PSNI ;D

deiseach

The PSNI are definitely the story here, you can hardly blame Crusaders. I remember years ago watching Today Tonight - yes, years ago - where a plummy-accented British Army officer admitted that investigations of Loyalist violence were handled by the RUC and investigations of Republican violence were handled by the UDR. The implication was clear - we give the Taigs to the trigger-happy thugs while the peelers pop around and have a nice cup of tea with the mammies of the rambunctious Prods. Some things never change.

AQMP

Quote from: hardstation on February 18, 2013, 09:29:15 AM
I think there is going to be blue murder this summer. The peelers have brought it on themselves too.

+1.  I think it's going to be rough.  I'd be interested to see how policing by "the least worst option" (Will Kerr in today's Irish News) will pan out at the height of the marching season.