Android Phone

Started by tbrick18, September 12, 2011, 09:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 13, 2011, 11:43:00 AM
iPhones are Ok but you cant really multi task and you are generally tied down to other apple products like iTunes etc

The Samsung Galaxy S2 or the HTC Sensation are the two phones I would recommend.
But I am an Android developer so maybe I am biased!

That's the type of advice I'm after, being a developer myself. HTC it is...reason being I dont like my current Samsung.
Cheers.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Got a HTC Desire S a couple of months ago (had been with Nokia for 10 years) very good phone, my friend has a blackberry and I find it awkward to use, now that I have discovered touch screen  :)
Would recommend the HTC, one annoying point is battery life, I do find that I'm charging it every day!
Tbc....

tbrick18

Just ordered my HTC Sensation on the web...probably quicker to get in a shop but I could get a £100 cashback offer with Phones4U.
A pain in the proverbial claiming it back, but sure might as well.

magpie seanie

I've only got my Samsung Galaxy a couple of weeks and it knocks itself off, dead, I'd say a couple of times a day at least. Its not out of power. I just hold the power button in a couple of times and it comes back on. Interestingly, a mate of mine rang me one time the phone was off like this and he told me it rang as normal, it was as if I just didn't answer. What should I do? Take it back to the O2 shop? I'm delighted with it besides this.

I never heard about rebooting the phone like Stew mentioned - should I be doing this?

amallon

My galaxy knocks off like that every now and again as well.  I can feel it get very hot just below the camera lense on the back of the phone.  Powering it off and back on sorts.  It doesn't happen very often maybe once or twice a month.  Still think its a better phone than the iPhone 4 which I had previously.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

front of the mountain

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 13, 2011, 04:07:21 PM
I've only got my Samsung Galaxy a couple of weeks and it knocks itself off, dead, I'd say a couple of times a day at least. Its not out of power. I just hold the power button in a couple of times and it comes back on. Interestingly, a mate of mine rang me one time the phone was off like this and he told me it rang as normal, it was as if I just didn't answer. What should I do? Take it back to the O2 shop? I'm delighted with it besides this.

I never heard about rebooting the phone like Stew mentioned - should I be doing this?

Snap!! very hateful is this a fault in phone???????

AbbeySider

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 13, 2011, 12:51:37 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 13, 2011, 11:43:00 AM
iPhones are Ok but you cant really multi task and you are generally tied down to other apple products like iTunes etc

The Samsung Galaxy S2 or the HTC Sensation are the two phones I would recommend.
But I am an Android developer so maybe I am biased!

That's the type of advice I'm after, being a developer myself. HTC it is...reason being I dont like my current Samsung.
Cheers.

The Androids on my desk right now include a:
1 x Vodafone Joy -  Piece of sh!t
1 x Samsung Galaxy Spica - Passed the test of time, not a bad phone for an oldie, running Android 1.6 I think
1 x HTC Desire - One of the first phones to use Android 2.1 and HTC Sense
2 x HTC Desire s - Upgraded version of original Desire, less buggy and slightly better battery
2 x HTC Desire z - Upgraded version of Desire s, really nice phone
1 x Samsung Galaxy II - Although blocky and big looking; its my favourite. It feels like a computer in your paw
1 x HTC Sensation - Cooler looking than the Galaxy II but every so slightly slower processor, maybe not as good battery life, but not much in it though. I dont think there is a huge difference in performance.
I think I prefer the Galaxy as I have used HTC so much the Galaxy is still kinda new to me.

blast05

For those looking for a battery boost, try the app Juicedefender .... should typically see an approx 50% boost in battery charge.
A good list of top phones linked below .... still the number 3 phone for me - the SE arc: best looks and although doesn't have dual core processors like Samsung, there are no features on any phone or on Android yet that need that horsepower imho
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440?artc_pg=19

Also re iPhone 5 .... wait for the marketing suggesting another massive leap forward, complete technology shift. Features they will shout about to support this:
iCloud ... Once people here the word cloud they will think, wow, cool, without having much of a clue what it adds. It's 20 year old technology which doesn't really offer much value add to the end user
LTE support (4G).... won't be the first phone and not really needed for another 6 month's or more - not until Verizon and AT&T fully launch in the states
Near Field Communication (NFC): first step in allowing phones to be used as credit cards. Not the first phone to have it of course. However, to be fair, if this gives NFC the momentum to become more widely used and replace credit card in 5 years instead of 10th then all the better.
Full 1080p HD camera .... but of course not the first camera to have it

tbrick18

Quote from: blast05 on September 13, 2011, 11:06:16 PM
For those looking for a battery boost, try the app Juicedefender .... should typically see an approx 50% boost in battery charge.
A good list of top phones linked below .... still the number 3 phone for me - the SE arc: best looks and although doesn't have dual core processors like Samsung, there are no features on any phone or on Android yet that need that horsepower imho
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440?artc_pg=19

Also re iPhone 5 .... wait for the marketing suggesting another massive leap forward, complete technology shift. Features they will shout about to support this:
iCloud ... Once people here the word cloud they will think, wow, cool, without having much of a clue what it adds. It's 20 year old technology which doesn't really offer much value add to the end user
LTE support (4G).... won't be the first phone and not really needed for another 6 month's or more - not until Verizon and AT&T fully launch in the states
Near Field Communication (NFC): first step in allowing phones to be used as credit cards. Not the first phone to have it of course. However, to be fair, if this gives NFC the momentum to become more widely used and replace credit card in 5 years instead of 10th then all the better.
Full 1080p HD camera .... but of course not the first camera to have it

The idea of cloud is old, but its only now that the network infrastructure supports it to a level where it can be really useful. It doesnt really do much for a phone user, but for a company the cloud can be a real money saver particularly around hardware (HaaS).

gallsman

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 13, 2011, 04:07:21 PM

Are you on Android 2.2 or 2.3? My Desire HD did this every few days before the 2.3 upgrade arrived but works fine now. I think it was something to do with the interaction between Android and the "skin" the handset developers put on as overlay - Sense for HTC, TouchWiz for Samsung.

laoislad

I've have a Sony Ericsson Experia Android phone for about 12 months now and I have to say it is the biggest pile of dung.
Had a iphone 3Gs but I dropped it and broke it beyond repair so needing a phone quick that didn't cost a fortune I bought the Sony as I am a huge fan of Sony products.
It freezes all the time,it's slow and unresponsive it knocks itself off for no reason,the menu system is a nightmare.
Also don't like the Android app store,I think the apple one is far better.
The one thing I do like about Android is the widgets,I have a few excellent ones for automatic news updates and live scores but as the phone freezes so much it hardly matters anyway.

My contract has been up a few months but I'm holding out for the iphone5,I had a look at the Samsung Galaxy SII but while it is a impressive high spec phone now doubt I just think it looks rotten,plain ugly in fact and if you are spending a good bit of money on something you will be using 100 times a day you want it to look decent.
The HTC Sensation as someone pointed out already is a fine looking phone far better looking than the Galaxy and with similar specs but it isn't available with 02 Ireland so I might have considered that one if it had been available.
One thing is for sure, it will take some convincing for me to buy another Sony Ericsson again.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

HiMucker

Just got a HTC wildfire the other day.  What you make of them Abbeysider.

How do you send whats app messages were the recipent actually hears you saying the message to them.  At the minute it only sends the message in text format after I have spoken into the phone?

blast05

Quote from: laoislad on September 14, 2011, 08:38:33 AM
I've have a Sony Ericsson Experia Android phone for about 12 months now and I have to say it is the biggest pile of dung.
One thing is for sure, it will take some convincing for me to buy another Sony Ericsson again.

I'd agree re the original Xperia .... but the Xperia arc is from a different planet - check any review.

AbbeySider

Quote from: HiMucker on September 14, 2011, 10:15:10 AM

How do you send whats app messages were the recipent actually hears you saying the message to them.  At the minute it only sends the message in text format after I have spoken into the phone?

Wildfire is a nice entry level smartphone, only difference between it and the Desires is memory and processor speeds.
I dont understand that second bit!

HiMucker

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 14, 2011, 01:59:23 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on September 14, 2011, 10:15:10 AM

Wildfire is a nice entry level smartphone, only difference between it and the Desires is memory and processor speeds.
I dont understand that second bit!
Right the missus told me that her mate sends Whats app messages to her mates.  When they open them, tehri phone reads the messages in her voice.  Like a voice mail, only in an instant mesage.  Is this balls or what?  Hope you can understand this tripe that I have wrote  ???