World Cup Best XI - Your Lifetime

Started by AZOffaly, May 18, 2010, 09:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

O'Neill, both Zico and Moller had many more memorable World Cup games at midfield than Maradona did. As did anyone who actually stood in midfield at anytime between 1986 and 2006.

Sort out your own team before tearing strips out of others.

In more football snobbery, anyone who picks Hagi never actually watched him play in a World Cup match. He had a cool name, looked the part, and had a fine club football career, but he also made an art out of disappearing on the big occasion. Take out the club career part and you've almost got the antithesis of an Andy Moeller :)

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on May 18, 2010, 11:26:01 PM
Quote from: ross4life on May 18, 2010, 10:43:48 PM
Pat Jennings

Thuram
Baresi
McGrath
Maldini

Zindane
Maradona
Hagi

Ronaldo
Romário
R. Baggio

Jennings in the world cup? Conceded 1 against Honduras, 4 against France, 2 against Austria, 1 against Algeria, 2 against Spain and 3 against Brazil in 2 world cups. Catch yerself on.

It's not all about how many goals that are conceded.. other great keepers had the luxury of top defenses he didn't have that

two games that stick out for me was when N.Ireland beat spain 1-0 & the other was the 3-0 defeat to Brazil in 86 Should have been 10-0 if it wasn't for jennings

my 2nd choice would be Kahn
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ONeill

Quote from: thewobbler on May 18, 2010, 11:35:25 PM
O'Neill, both Zico and Moller had many more memorable World Cup games at midfield than Maradona did. As did anyone who actually stood in midfield at anytime between 1986 and 2006.

What memorable games had Zico in '86? You're going by reputation there. Moller was NEVER memorable. Steady perhaps but not memorable, in any game.

Tearing strips out of yours is child's play.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ross4life on May 18, 2010, 11:36:09 PM
Pat Jennings

Thuram
Baresi
McGrath
Maldini

Zindane
Maradona
Hagi

Ronaldo
Romário
R. Baggio

Jennings in the world cup? Conceded 1 against Honduras, 4 against France, 2 against Austria, 1 against Algeria, 2 against Spain and 3 against Brazil in 2 world cups. Catch yerself on.

It's not all about how many goals that are conceded.. other great keepers had the luxury top defenses he didn't have that

two games that stick out for me was when N.Ireland beat spain 1-0 & the other was the 3-0 defeat to Brazil in 86 Should have been 10-0 if it wasn't for jennings

If you're simply going on best keeper regardless of World Cup history, why not Schmeichel?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on May 18, 2010, 11:40:28 PM

What memorable games had Zico in '86? You're going by reputation there. Moller was NEVER memorable. Steady perhaps but not memorable, in any game.

Two memorable things about Andy Moller. His hair and the goose step against England, when football was supposed to be coming home in '96.

thewobbler

Come on Shane, stop ignoring the point. Maradona was never a midfielder, and shouldn't be selected at midfield.

Point taken on Zico, but who to replace him with? I need an attack-minded midfielder, but definitely a midfielder.

If Moller has to go, Chris Waddle is coming in. I can't think of too many better wingers over the past 20 years.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 18, 2010, 11:45:51 PM

Two memorable things about Andy Moller. His hair and the goose step against England, when football was supposed to be coming home in '96.

Yeah if anything he'll be remembered for his Euro '96 performances. Never outstanding in a World Cup.

ross4life

Quote from: gallsman on May 18, 2010, 10:26:14 PM
94-06

Campos (too hard to pick an outstanding keeper so just went for a crazy legend)

Cafu Cannavaro Baresi Lizarazu

Figo Makelele Zizou

Romario Ronaldo Baggio

Very, very difficult to leave out:

Stoichkov
Rivaldo
Hagi
Zubizaretta
Bergkamp
Crespo
Batigol

Very difficult to leave out plenty of others.

Figo & Makelele good for there clubs but part of the best world cup XI??
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gallsman

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 18, 2010, 11:49:10 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 18, 2010, 11:45:51 PM

Yeah if anything he'll be remembered for his Euro '96 performances. Never outstanding in a World Cup.

Wasn't it Moller who puffed out his chest, arms akimbo after scoring his penalty in the shootout when Gazza had done the exact same thing a few moments before? Loved it.

Rossie11

thewobbler

It's like putting together the best band of all time, and putting Hendrix on bass because you've got Slash on lead.

gallsman

ross, bear in mind that I don't make up fantasy lives where I pretend to be older than I am and am sticking to the years I know. I also tried to include players outside Brazil, France and Italy.

Get rid of McGrath and Jennings in your team and then come back to me.

ross4life

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 18, 2010, 11:42:46 PM
Quote from: ross4life on May 18, 2010, 11:36:09 PM
Pat Jennings

Thuram
Baresi
McGrath
Maldini

Zindane
Maradona
Hagi

Ronaldo
Romário
R. Baggio

It's not all about how many goals that are conceded.. other great keepers had the luxury top defenses he didn't have that

If you're simply going on best keeper regardless of World Cup history, why not Schmeichel?

Schmeichel was keeper of the year in euro 92 he never reached those heights in the World cup

gallsman

ONeill

Quote from: thewobbler on May 18, 2010, 11:47:29 PM
Come on Shane, stop ignoring the point. Maradona was never a midfielder, and shouldn't be selected at midfield.

Point taken on Zico, but who to replace him with? I need an attack-minded midfielder, but definitely a midfielder.

If Moller has to go, Chris Waddle is coming in. I can't think of too many better wingers over the past 20 years.

Maradona wasn't a striker. In a 4-3-1-2 he was the 1.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.