GAABoard says no to mutilation of the National Anthem

Started by Barney, June 14, 2009, 02:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Why the compulsion to have somebody singing through their nose sing the anthem at intercounty matches.

Load up the gramaphone and put on that old record.

slow corner back

Was down in croker for the antrim dublin match last sunday and thought that the anthem was very well sung by the crowd before the dubs meath football match. Words on the screen helped it along but good crowd good singing too and no helper in the middle of the pitch

Gnevin

Quote from: slow corner back on June 14, 2009, 02:20:44 PM
Was down in croker for the antrim dublin match last sunday and thought that the anthem was very well sung by the crowd before the dubs meath football match. Words on the screen helped it along but good crowd good singing too and no helper in the middle of the pitch

I find the singer in the middle of the pitch kills the crowd effort as the echo's and speed of the speed is very hard to sync with.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Rois

Agreed, think that the solo singers slow it down too much. Still doesn't stop me belting it out though.
The tv doesn't pick up on the crowd singing.

Sandy Hill

Your woman singing the Anthem before the W'Meath V Wicklow game was f><kin brutal; she was singing it like a country and western song!
"Stercus accidit"

Mickeys beard

I do agree.  An oul nasaly country-western-cum-Mariah Carey version of the anthem is no way to start any game.  Noticed also at the Cork Kerry games that, while it was great to see the pipe band for the parade as I am a former piper meself and the pipes have traditionally been the instrument of choice in Ireland for centuries before going into battle, they should not be used for the anthem.  The reason for this is that the pipes only have one octave, while the anthem ranges over two octaves and should be started high to allow most voices to reach the low bits.  As a result we are left with a load of mooing before the game, which I thought seemed very strange before such an intense occasion.  I like the flute band, I must say, for the soldier's song.  A good male voice choir would do the jab as well.  
Boil the Drawers!

muppet

Quote from: Sandy Hill on June 14, 2009, 04:47:42 PM

Your woman singing the Anthem before the W'Meath V Wicklow game was f><kin brutal; she was singing it like a country and western song!

You are right, I prefer the rap version.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 14, 2009, 06:11:24 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 14, 2009, 06:07:16 PM
Quote from: Sandy Hill on June 14, 2009, 04:47:42 PM

You are right, I prefer the rap version.
What about Bleedin' Gums Murphy?

He scored 1-3 from half back this afternoon.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on June 14, 2009, 03:55:31 PM
Agreed, think that the solo singers slow it down too much. Still doesn't stop me belting it out though.
The tv doesn't pick up on the crowd singing.
There never seems to be that problem when England, Scotland or Wales play rugby. I think the mumbling keeps the volume down!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Barney on June 14, 2009, 02:00:28 PM

Load up the gramaphone and put on that old record.

Thats what they must have had in Parnell Park today,I've never heard a more crackly version
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shamrock Shore

Get rid of effing pipe bands.

What purpose do they serve?

I hate them, I hate their music (they all have just 2 tunes and one of them is Scotland the Brave) and I hate their skirts.

I hate the parade beforehand. I hate their version of Amhrán na bhFiann.

I JUST f**king HATE PIPE BANDS.

Anyone agree?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 14, 2009, 08:32:12 PM
Get rid of effing pipe bands.

What purpose do they serve?

I hate them, I hate their music (they all have just 2 tunes and one of them is Scotland the Brave) and I hate their skirts.

I hate the parade beforehand. I hate their version of Amhrán na bhFiann.

I JUST f**king HATE PIPE BANDS.

Anyone agree?

Well I don't. I think the parade is a great tradition of GAA matches and the roar of the crowd from the side as the band approaches def gets the crowd going in my opinion. I do agree that these whiny shitty singers are brutal and do nothing for the match athmosphere. I'd prefer to have the marching band play the anthem. I wish some of the "supporters" could show a bit of respect and not start roaring like buffons half way through. The cork kerry match on saturday was very bad.