Cork Strikers on the wrong side of Jesus

Started by Bud Wiser, December 19, 2008, 07:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Seems an Phiarsaigh club in Cork are upset over the unwanted interference of a priest concerning his sermon about the strikers, O'Halpin and John Gardiner. They want the Cork County Board to disassociate themselves from the remarks.

Fr. Cotter said in his sermon:

"And who got man of the match when we played Kilkenny?  Eoin Larkin did.  And who was supposed to be marking him? Who? What right half back was supposed to be marking him?  And who scored most scores for Kilkenny on the other side, Eddie Brennan?  And who was supposed to be marking him?  "

Brilliant stuff altogether, keep it up Padre, but watch you don't get sued by the GPA.

If you get another Sunday at it Fr. Cotter you could give Gardiner a three Hail Mary penance for a bit of striking a player from behind on the day, or better still, damn the lot of them for going on strike in the first place.  Either way, do as priests do as I have found out in other matters, interfere at all costs, even if there are a few less euro coins on the plate.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Lecale2

I think Fr Cotter hurled for Cork at one time. Mind you I wouldn't be a fan of priests interferring with team selection from the pulpit. Or interferring with anything really.

bigpaul

Can't see how Fr Cotter thought his 'sermon' was going to help the situation! Why didn't he just write a letter to The Examiner'? However, the one thing that causes me great problems with the latest chapter in this saga is the fact that the players are trying to get rid of an incumbent manager!

County Player

well in fairness they were trying to prevent him becoming an incumbent manager. his term was up and they didn't want him back

bigpaul

Don't know, I could fully grasp the whole thing last year and had a great deal of sympathy with the footballers case, however, this year the scenario opens up a whole can of worms. If the Cork County Board reneged on some agreement they made in the past the players should state this clearly, if procedure wasn't followed then tell us how. But if it's a case of the players not being happy with the reappointment of a manager it has to be of concern to counties and clubs everywhere!

Bud Wiser

Not that Laois can talk but they are a has been county anyway, their annual trip out against Kerry is about it in football and if they had the pick of managers from the 32 counties and the premiership they are has beens in hurling.  They should do what their fellow Corkmen, Roy Keane and Stephen Ireland are good at doing, walk away from their responsibilities and hide behind one off TV interviews or get their father to speak for them because all they are good at is causing trouble and this is not their first time out.  If the team get to select the manager instead of the Manager selecting the team then it is a poor lookout for other counties.

As for the priest, it is not uncommon for priests to stick their noses in where they are not wanted, in fact it is more common than not from my very own experience.  ( I had to bring one to the High Court to pull his nose back out of mine) However, the actions of the Cork players over the last years, from the time they protested by wearing their socks around their ankles has been complimented on an annual basis by one row or another that not alone has disrupted GAA in Cork but in other counties that were prepared to play them.   Anyway they are shite.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Guillem2

Quotefrom the time they protested by wearing their socks around their ankles

Are they still at that?  ::)

By their socks shall you know them.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Bud Wiser

Well, like I say, we can't talk, instead of going on strike we had clubs Portlaoise & St. Josephs having the U21 Final abandoned last year? Remember that?  Then Tom Kelly and Joe Higgins were retiring this year, then decided they were not retiring etc which I thought was because their club teams had been thrown out of the U21 championship.

That game (2007 U21 Final) was replayed last week which means Michael Dempsey the new manager is without Craig Rogers who was admitted to hospital with his jaw broke in three places and he will not be back until February/March if he comes back at all. 

Zulu

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 20, 2008, 09:27:44 AM
Not that Laois can talk but they are a has been county anyway, their annual trip out against Kerry is about it in football and if they had the pick of managers from the 32 counties and the premiership they are has beens in hurling.  They should do what their fellow Corkmen, Roy Keane and Stephen Ireland are good at doing, walk away from their responsibilities and hide behind one off TV interviews or get their father to speak for them because all they are good at is causing trouble and this is not their first time out.  If the team get to select the manager instead of the Manager selecting the team then it is a poor lookout for other counties.

As for the priest, it is not uncommon for priests to stick their noses in where they are not wanted, in fact it is more common than not from my very own experience.  ( I had to bring one to the High Court to pull his nose back out of mine) However, the actions of the Cork players over the last years, from the time they protested by wearing their socks around their ankles has been complimented on an annual basis by one row or another that not alone has disrupted GAA in Cork but in other counties that were prepared to play them.   Anyway they are shite.

I must say that the above post is one of the most ill-informed crock of shit posts ever posted on here.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: bigpaul on December 19, 2008, 11:58:14 PM
Can't see how Fr Cotter thought his 'sermon' was going to help the situation! Why didn't he just write a letter to The Examiner'? However, the one thing that causes me great problems with the latest chapter in this saga is the fact that the players are trying to get rid of an incumbent manager!

So what are players supposed to do if they end up with an incompetent manager???

Armagh4SamAgain

Play football no matter who the manager is thats what there paid for.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Maguire01

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on December 21, 2008, 11:46:14 AM
Play football no matter who the manager is thats what there paid for.
Yeah, but they're not going to last too long in the Hurling if they play football.

Bud Wiser

QuoteI must say that the above post is one of the most ill-informed crock of shit posts ever posted on here.

Maybe you don't understand it?  Put simply, if there was a rule against bringing the game into disrepute like the Brits have in football the entire Cork team would be suspended, not now, but every year for the last three years.  They are, in my opinion, a scab on the side of the GAA at the moment.  That's the first thing.  The second one is that priests, and as I said, I have experience of this, do stick their noses in where they are not wanted, like only last week when the bishp said that we have to learn how to live a less extravagant lifestyle only for the Herald to reveal on Friday that the same bishop was spending half a million euro upgrading his Dublin mansion.

Now, whether it is a crock of shit post or not it is my opinion.  The fact that you used the word "shit" in your reply tends to lead me to believe you are not a priest yourself which in turn leads me to think you must be from Cork in which case I am really really sorry for you, or from the GPA in which case I am really, really, really sorry for you.

Rossfan

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on December 21, 2008, 11:46:14 AM
Play football .... thats what there paid for.

So those rumours about Armagh are true so. :D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stevetharlear

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 21, 2008, 12:35:26 PM
QuoteI must say that the above post is one of the most ill-informed crock of shit posts ever posted on here.

Maybe you don't understand it?  Put simply, if there was a rule against bringing the game into disrepute like the Brits have in football the entire Cork team would be suspended, not now, but every year for the last three years.  They are, in my opinion, a scab on the side of the GAA at the moment.  That's the first thing.  The second one is that priests, and as I said, I have experience of this, do stick their noses in where they are not wanted, like only last week when the bishp said that we have to learn how to live a less extravagant lifestyle only for the Herald to reveal on Friday that the same bishop was spending half a million euro upgrading his Dublin mansion.

Now, whether it is a crock of shit post or not it is my opinion.  The fact that you used the word "shit" in your reply tends to lead me to believe you are not a priest yourself which in turn leads me to think you must be from Cork in which case I am really really sorry for you, or from the GPA in which case I am really, really, really sorry for you.

Christ you're clever for a Laois man. As for your "Anyway they are shite" from an earlier quote above... well, they don't give out AI medals for free, man, but you'd not know much about that. Can't even win Leinster.

UP THE GPA! I'm off to spend my grant.