Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General discussion / Re: American Sports Thread
« Last post by Syferus on November 19, 2017, 11:42:42 PM »
Nathan Peterman throws five Ints in the first half, it would be comical if it wasnít a totally self-inflicted injury by a team owning a wild card spot entering the weekend.

Tyrod Taylor really needs to tell the Bills to fýck off in the off-season.
GAA Discussion / Re: International rules
« Last post by From the Bunker on November 19, 2017, 11:42:06 PM »
To me the series underlines that claims that our top footballers train to the level of professional athletes is bullsh*t. We looked really good at the start of both games, but were swamped by the end by a team playing with an alien ball.
I'm not having a go at our players, they can't be expected to hold down a job and reach the top level of conditioning. But they also can't cod themselves that they're superfit - or jump down Jerry Kiernan's throat when he states the obvious.

We won the series last time, against a better team of Australians.

Australian summers, a lack of players from our best team and a vomiting bug had more to do with our lads fading as any conditioning issues. Please stop trying to mould events to suit a narrative you clearly wanted something to fit into beforehand.

fair points re playing success in the series itself.
My points are  nothing to do with our ability to beat the Australians in a made-up sport, it's about contributing to  promoting another sport which has robbed us of some of our best talent. More importantly exposing amateur GAA players to increased risk of sport in an unfamiliar, highly attritional contact sport against heavier ,presumably better conditioned full time top professionals. Even junior club GAA pre-seasons are at least 6-8 weeks long , progressively exposing Players to equip them for the rigours and risks of a game they are familiar with , against fellow amateurs with a similar level of conditioning. Yet with the rules concept , with minimal prep, we are exposing them to the unfamiliar rigours and risks of this sport against full timers, who are usually much heavier and more cynical.  it's indefensible and we need to wise up!

Fear maith - It's all well and good going gung-ho into this rubbish. Our lads who are lesser conditioned can end up with a knock that can maybe not end their career but can impair their career in the future. 

GAA people have been watching to much of the Toughest Trade and the shite Sky and AIB - kammy and jeff road to croker (fantasy) telling people in this insular sport how strong and great we are!
General discussion / Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016
« Last post by Gold on November 19, 2017, 11:40:13 PM »
Only stupid fans will think Martinís whole time as manager of the ROI team will be remembered for putting on subs at halftime of a playoff for the World Cup with that squad!
Stupid fans and remembering his whole tenure aside. Do you think bringing McGeady on was a good managerial decision? In my book it was absolutely shocking and brings into question what he offers us from here.

McGeady on was a horrible gamble. We needed 2 goals but when was the last time (ever?) MCGeady created or scored a goal for us? He is talented but looks like he doesnt know what he is doing and couldnt cross his legs never mind beat the 1st man. Tbh i didnt even know he was still on the squad when he was brought on.

Id have had Long on from the start....he hasnt been scoring but always puts a shift in and has been proven to do it in big games...couldnt believe be only got 10 mins

Look theres no doubt we got lucky in so many games throughout the campaign but what other manager can or could do better with the talent (or lack of) we have? We do not play any football...which is amazing as the Danes are nlt world beaters....they have many mediocre players but only 1 star. I think we were gutless not to have the balls to try and keep the ball and play football...real bravery is getting on and keeping the ball
« Last post by Rawhide on November 19, 2017, 11:37:50 PM »
Was Tyroneís Conor Mc Kenna playing?
General discussion / Re: American Sports Thread
« Last post by Capt Pat on November 19, 2017, 11:33:15 PM »
Another big win for the vikings against the Rams tonight. 24-7 against one of the highest scoring teams in the NFL. The Lions scraped a win tonight to stay in touch. The division outcome could be as good as decided next week when the vikings play the lions in Detroit.
« Last post by 6th sam on November 19, 2017, 11:32:17 PM »
To me the series underlines that claims that our top footballers train to the level of professional athletes is bullsh*t. We looked really good at the start of both games, but were swamped by the end by a team playing with an alien ball.
I'm not having a go at our players, they can't be expected to hold down a job and reach the top level of conditioning. But they also can't cod themselves that they're superfit - or jump down Jerry Kiernan's throat when he states the obvious.

Australian summers, a lack of players from our best team and a vomiting bug had more to do with our lads fading as any conditioning issues. Please stop trying to mould events to suit a narrative you clearly wanted something to fit into beforehand.

fair points re playing success in the series itself.
My points are  nothing to do with our ability to beat the Australians in a made-up sport, it's about contributing to  promoting another sport which has robbed us of some of our best talent. More importantly exposing amateur GAA players to increased risk of injury in an unfamiliar, highly attritional contact sport against heavier ,presumably better conditioned full time top professionals. Even junior club GAA pre-seasons are at least 6-8 weeks long , progressively exposing Players to equip them for the rigours and risks of a game they are familiar with , against fellow amateurs with a similar level of conditioning. Yet with the rules concept , with minimal prep, we are exposing them to the unfamiliar rigours and risks of this sport against full timers, who are usually much heavier and more cynical.  it's indefensible and we need to wise up!
General discussion / Re: Brexit.
« Last post by armaghniac on November 19, 2017, 11:18:46 PM »
I wonder how is this Mayo bollix enjoying Brexit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I3eAyJkoHg
General discussion / Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016
« Last post by 6th sam on November 19, 2017, 11:17:22 PM »
Dig out the stats of Martinís management with Ireland..

Since Sep 2015 Ireland have beaten teams ranked 2, 12, 13 & 20 in competitive games. Before that the best was 33rd.. thatís just one stat

Hard to argue with those statistics tbf.

Mcgeady's introduction was strange and perhaps loyalty played a part. That consistent  loyalty probably contributes to the great team bond, associated with o'neills teams, and therefore contributes to his team's punching above their weight over several years.
His tight at the back system is totally dependent on clean sheets, and such miserliness has provided a necessary platform for his teams, providing success away from home for example.
However when goals are conceded , there has to be a totally different emphasis, which by necessity involves being more cavalier to create more chances, employing creative players who are lacking  defensively. O'Neill has been roundly criticised for not using these creative players, like Hoolahan, enough.
He employed them on Tuesday and look what happened.
Do we honestly think that if he had shut up shop after the Danish goal and tried to steal a very unlikely  goal on the break, he wouldnt have been criticised even more?
We don't have the quality due to relatively poor numbers, poor interest, poor coaching , poor organisation in the country as a whole. We are not a soccer nation.  O'Neill and Keane's approach had us punching above our weight throughout their tenure, but when we met genuine quality, and/or went behind, we were often found out.
« Last post by Syferus on November 19, 2017, 11:15:11 PM »

General discussion / Re: Brexit.
« Last post by armaghniac on November 19, 2017, 11:07:38 PM »
there's quite an impact in attracting inward investment. Currently there are EU grants for R&D which will expire, EU membership is a big part of getting those jobs in the north.

They can have new grants, and with more flexibility without EU rules, but an ability to export to the EU is an important part of the reason why companies come.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10