London 25/1

Round 1 fixtures

Saturday 29th
Carlow v London

Sunday 30th
Leitrim v Cavan
Waterford v Tipperary
Wexford v Sligo
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

It will be interesting to see how Spillane Jnr gets on with Sligo  https://t.co/HsaHEBv5Sg

twohands!!!

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 18, 2022, 10:21:46 PM
It will be interesting to see how Spillane Jnr gets on with Sligo  https://t.co/HsaHEBv5Sg

I saw elsewhere that he didn't have any impact whatsoever with Kerry underage (wasn't on any developement squads or anything) and that he was only very much a bit part player for Templenoe when they won their club All-Ireland despite them having very limited playing numbers the last few years - when they had lads off playing with Kerry they were struggling to field a team on occasions with lads in their 40s basically playing as stand in the corner-forward position. Seems to have developed since he moved to Dublin, but he wasn't starting for Judes in the early rounds of the Dublin championship and it was only when one of their midfielders ahead of him picked up an injury that he got his chance. I did see one Judes game and kept a bit of an eye on him because of his dad and my impression was he looked a long ways off either Dublin or Kerry calling him in. I wouldn't be surprised if he has minimal impact for Sligo. Maybe he'll be a late bloomer but my initial instinct is that he's a game but limited intercounty player albeit on very limited evidence. Fair play to him for giving it a go - he could easily have said thanks but no thanks to the Sligo call given he has to know that he will probably have a lot more of the spot light on him because of his dad.

armaghniac

Now that Spillane comes under a manager from a footballing part of the country he may develop further.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 24, 2022, 08:14:25 PM

He actually loves Cavan that man, spent his youth going to Breffni to cheer us on.

sligoman2

Tough opener for us in Wexford, I honestly don't know what to expect.  Two of the best forwards in the county Red Og Murphy and Liam Gaughan are not involved, having said that Niall Murphy seems to be on fire lately.  Our biggest weakness is defense, we have conceded massive scores in all our recent games and if we can tighten up on that area, we should be fine.  Hopefully we can squeak out a tight win on Sunday.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 25, 2022, 08:12:05 PM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/key-men-critical-questions-and-fixtures-everything-you-need-to-know-about-allianz-league-division-4-41274769.html

Jesus that article is some bullshit. One to watch for Leitrim - 34 yr old Emlyn Mulligan is one of the gems.

Cavan with no Gearoid McKiernan this weekend due to suspension, so thats 5/6 points less than usual for the lads. Should still have enough to beat Leitrim you would hope.

Blowitupref

Some win for London against Carlow. At one stage in the second-half had trailed by 0-3 to 1-10

Itchy

Leitrim a better outfit than I was expecting but in the end Cavan had a little bit more quality in their forwards and especially their free taking. I do expect Leitrim will be very hard bet though. All they need to do now is stop Andy Moran squaking little a little girl at the match officials every 30 seconds, can't be good for his players discipline listening to that.

Tipp dropping a point at Waterford was a surprise, maybe with the few absences they won't be the force they were. Great win in Wexford for Sligo.

full moon

Quote from: Itchy on January 30, 2022, 10:42:38 PM
Leitrim a better outfit than I was expecting but in the end Cavan had a little bit more quality in their forwards and especially their free taking. I do expect Leitrim will be very hard bet though. All they need to do now is stop Andy Moran squaking little a little girl at the match officials every 30 seconds, can't be good for his players discipline listening to that.

Tipp dropping a point at Waterford was a surprise, maybe with the few absences they won't be the force they were. Great win in Wexford for Sligo.

Some interesting upsets. Sligo and Leitrim may be better than advertised.

rodney trotter

Leitrim have decent players in fairness. The County final last year Mohill and Ballinamore was as good or better then a lot n of the live Co finals.
Obviously a very small pick so need them all committed

sligoman2

Great win for us - holding Wexford away to 10 pts shows a massive improvement for us.  Welcome to Shligo  Mr Spillane.  Great away win and with 4 home games to come we are in a good place.  Well done to all today .

sligoman2

Carlow is a very important game for us - They will probably come out with guns blazing after blowing it against London.  We need to take advantage of the home field and stay patient and limit the scoring opportunities for Carlow.   In my opinion this is a huge game for us and we can't be complacent or we will be stuck on 2 points...