Price of a Pint

Started by toby47, October 13, 2021, 09:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby47

The price of a pint is away mad in Belfast.

I was in both Belfast & Dublin over the weekend.

Belfast Friday night I ordered 2 pints of Guinness - £11.20
2 Guinness in Dublin  on Saturday was €10.80 (£9.15)

£5.60 for a pint in Belfast (not in the city centre) is mad. Surely this can't be the norm? Belfast has historically never been near Dublins prices, never mind a pound a pint more expensive.

What would the price of a pint be in everyone's locals be at the minute? Mine is £3.90 which I thought was bad enough.

lurganblue

I have been to Belfast for pinting twice since restrictions have been lifted and the prices are nothing short of a disgrace. I would be in no rush to go on a session there again for a right while.

Variety of prices in Lurgan.  I go to weekly pub quiz and it's £3.50 a pint or 3 for £10. Some places will be £4 or more.

bogball88

Quote from: toby47 on October 13, 2021, 09:46:37 AM

£5.60 for a pint in Belfast (not in the city centre) is mad. Surely this can't be the norm? Belfast has historically never been near Dublins prices, never mind a pound a pint more expensive.

What would the price of a pint be in everyone's locals be at the minute? Mine is £3.90 which I thought was bad enough.
Name and shame? Not the old Chester by any chance? Still around 3.50 in the Rock Bar anyway  :)

toby47

Quote from: bogball88 on October 13, 2021, 10:02:58 AM

Name and shame? Not the old Chester by any chance? Still around 3.50 in the Rock Bar anyway  :)

A bar at the lower end of Stranmillis road. All pints were £5.60 except peroni which was £6.00. A bottle of Coors was £4.90. I thought we were still 25 years away from £6 pints lol

brokencrossbar1

Chester on the Antrim Road?  Pint of Guinness pint of Heverlee £10.20. Haven't been down to Cassidy's since re-opened but would imagine it's cheaper. Ben Madigans slightly cheaper, 2 pints less than £10 but not much less

Keyser soze

The [alleged] robbing hoors in the Harbour in Portrush charging £5.90 a pint.   

StPatsAbu

Quote from: toby47 on October 13, 2021, 10:08:24 AM

A bar at the lower end of Stranmillis road. All pints were £5.60 except peroni which was £6.00. A bottle of Coors was £4.90. I thought we were still 25 years away from £6 pints lol

Well there's only one bar on Stranmillis Road so that narrows it! The Jeggy Nettle previously the House?

toby47

Quote from: StPatsAbu on October 13, 2021, 10:18:40 AM
Quote from: toby47 on October 13, 2021, 10:08:24 AM

Well there's only one bar on Stranmillis Road so that narrows it! The Jeggy Nettle previously the House?

The very one! Yeah used to be called The House, couldn't remember the new name of it.

Armagh18

Thats a disgrace. Pints were £4.50 in Belfast 3 or 4 years ago, since reopening prices have gone mad. Most local pints £3.80 to £4.

My rule is if you're not getting 3 pints for a tenner its too dear.

general_lee

When have you ever seen a bar lower their prices? And once one bar does it, they all do it. Belfast city centre is fast becoming a joke. I know the manager of a certain cathedral quarter establishment who tells me they lifted £26k the other Friday night so it's not like people aren't silly enough to pay the prices.

toby47

I remember drinking in The House & pints were £3 during Euro 2016 games. Now they are £5.60-£6. Doubled in the space of 5 years.

Hopefully in another 5 years they aren't £12

Louther

Pub trade has changed.

In those urban centres the pubs will charge what they like as they know their clientele aren't necessary locals in 2/3 nights a week. It's people out for a big night out once a month or people on weekend breaks where they don't really bother about the prices. They looking at people spending when they out and maybe not seeing them again for another few weeks or months. They'll be busy and provide the atmosphere because a crowd follows a crowd. They'll know they will get a good run for year or so before a new place opens and it will be the in place to go. They'll close and revamp after a while and you go again.

Your paying for the location and all that comes with it.

Locally, you could lose a years drinking for 5c a pint  ;D

armaghniac

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 13, 2021, 09:53:39 AM
Belfast has rocketed. Plenty of people happy to pay it so they're filling their boots.

Don't they even give you a glass at that price!!

There seems to be a certain buoyancy in Belfast, perhaps the Protocol is really working, while you might pay that for a pint in London I suspect that places in Britain of Belfast's size charge less.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

£3.50 at the weekend, though it was a GAA pub, wife wasn't too happy when she picked me up, the Guinness was great
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

When I moved to Dublin on 2005, the price of a pint in a bar in town, or certainly in a nightclub, was 4.50 to 5e. The average price in Belfast was £2.50.

Now drinks in Belfast are £5-6 and the price in Dublin is still in and around 5e. Crazy. A friend over here is home at the minute and reported paying £5.20 in the Errigle the other night. One of my favourite pubs but apparently has gone downhill a lot?

EDIT: have just seen someone has made the exact same point.