Working From Home

Started by Taylor, January 13, 2021, 05:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Meetings via Teams has certainly helped the start time for our meetings as physical meetings always started late as you were waiting for people coming from different buildings and if they were coming from another meeting they'd never leave early. Re. idle chit-chat there is definitely less of that as mix of WFH and onsite means you can catch up in person when onsite.

thebigfella

Quote from: Average Score on March 09, 2022, 08:25:12 AM
I am glad I don't work with you two! Work to live FFS not the other way around.

Exactly. I've 8 meetings between 30mins and an hour today which 5 minutes chat per meeting would result in 40 mins extra onto my work day.

Average Score

Quote from: thebigfella on March 09, 2022, 11:33:12 AM
Lets deal with these one by one.

Quote from: Average Score on March 09, 2022, 07:57:12 AM
So in an era of folk increasingly isolated, being mandated to work from home for 2 years or now choosing to do so due to expensive fuel costs, you would prohibit folk from saying hello how's it going, you well etc. prior to a meeting starting.

Where did I say that. Starting with 5 mins non related chat is mandating context switching and impairs focus.

Unless you are performing open heart surgery or trying to control the fallout of a nuclear reactor, chatting for a few minutes prior to any meeting will not impair anyone's focus, if it does management need to redeploy them, I suspect you might be suffering from delusions of grandeur associated with your role.

Average Score

Quote from: thebigfella on March 09, 2022, 11:46:31 AM

Exactly. I've 8 meetings between 30mins and an hour today which 5 minutes chat per meeting would result in 40 mins extra onto my work day.

Yet you have time to read and post here.  :) I suspect you are a manager, I always found if folk are having to do overtime or struggling to meet deadlines, it was the result of those further up the hierarchy not doing their job correctly.

toby47

Quote from: Average Score on March 09, 2022, 11:56:39 AM

Yet you have time to read and post here. :) I suspect you are a manager, I always found if folk are having to do overtime or struggling to meet deadlines, it was the result of those further up the hierarchy not doing their job correctly.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Nobody in office job should be doing overtime , bad time management nearly  always

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 09, 2022, 05:40:34 PM
Nobody in office job should be doing overtime , bad time management nearly  always

That's pants too... i work to suit the customers, and if that means staying behind the odd time then hey ho!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Yer hole. In a service industry overtime is an inevitability.

thewobbler

Aye you, by chance, a civil servant?

manfromdelmonte

Civil servants usually slow work down in their section so they can work up extra time off in lieu when there's a deadline

Franko

Quote from: thewobbler on March 09, 2022, 07:28:54 PM

Derry City thing

Owed a living

;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on March 09, 2022, 07:28:54 PM

Sure civil servants love the OT. It's the work during standard time that they're not so keen on  ;)

thebigfella

Quote from: Average Score on March 09, 2022, 11:56:39 AM

Yet you have time to read and post here.  :) I suspect you are a manager, I always found if folk are having to do overtime or struggling to meet deadlines, it was the result of those further up the hierarchy not doing their job correctly.

Good one Angelo.

No I'm not a manager and sometimes imposed deadlines from further up the hierarchy does lead to overtime and deadlines being missed; but I'd say the vast majority is down to the wrong people being in the wrong roles in large organisations. Remote working has started to expose this a bit more.

thebigfella

Quote from: Average Score on March 09, 2022, 11:53:12 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on March 09, 2022, 11:33:12 AM
Lets deal with these one by one.

Quote from: Average Score on March 09, 2022, 07:57:12 AM
So in an era of folk increasingly isolated, being mandated to work from home for 2 years or now choosing to do so due to expensive fuel costs, you would prohibit folk from saying hello how's it going, you well etc. prior to a meeting starting.

Where did I say that. Starting with 5 mins non related chat is mandating context switching and impairs focus.

Unless you are performing open heart surgery or trying to control the fallout of a nuclear reactor, chatting for a few minutes prior to any meeting will not impair anyone's focus, if it does management need to redeploy them, I suspect you might be suffering from delusions of grandeur associated with your role.

Contrary to all the research and accepted behavioural science.

Average Score

Did you read how to be a manager 2.0. The majority of office meetings aren't that important some manager looking to hear themselves talk, and trying to sound important.